• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

Congratulations to Carolyn for "Tootsie" and to Forest for "Existenz", a real toughie.

Time to clear out some deadwood and post some new entries.

I'm trying something new with the numbers to remain consistent...as a number/movie is solved, it gets retired so there's no confusion when movies get shifted to new numbers during the recaps:

A. UTTERLY UNSOLVED

2. a spaghetti-proof bib, two pork chops and a few slaps round the chops........

CLUE: the guy aspires to win a girl above his station in life. The movie could be called sexist and vulgar, but has become a bit of a cult classic for the male star

5. Tuna noodle casserole for Sunday dinner, and hot chocolate and lemon drops before bed. Movie also contains catfish and popcorn.

CLUE: If it helps any, it was written by a Southern writer

Another CLUE: This author also wrote another script/movie mentioned near the begining of the thread

6. "... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings".

7. Homemade ketchup that may be too sweet ("All men like it on the sweet side").

8. To someone eating M&M's: "Don't eat the red ones."

9. A breakfast tray with a bowl of hot cereal, a teapot, a teacup and saucer, and a mouse.

10. "I love it when it's hamburger day."

11. A flopped souffle because she doesn't turn on the oven.

12. A popsicle made of ketchup.

13. a very surreal dinner scene where a cooked chicken starts moving around when it's time to carve it.

B. SOLUTIONS AWAITING CONFIRMATION

1. "red hots.. get your red hots" GTO guesses the vendor calls this in "Streetcar Named Desire".

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

edited to add Varmint's new movie (sorry Dean!) and Forest's new movie.

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Congratulations to Carolyn for "Tootsie" and to Forest for "Existenz", a real toughie.

Ah thanks!

And, I'll throw one out there before I'm off to bed - a very surreal dinner scene where a cooked chicken starts moving around when it's time to carve it.

Good night, folks!

Edited to correct typo!

Edited by Forest (log)

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

Based on ICTD's new clue, what REALLY, really bad movie--attended reluctantly because it meant good company for dinner--presents the slow peeling of a hard-boiled egg as a sign of unmitigated evil?

That'd be Angel Heart. You thought it was that bad? Hmm. Not as good as the original book but it didn't (as my favorite movie critic once wrote) "do for movies what the Jonestown cool aid did for kids' drinks." :raz:

I didn't hate it as much as Bill Cosby did (he kicked one of the actresses off his then-popular sit-com as a result of his displeasure), and De Niro cum Satan sure did peel that egg menacingly with his long, long nails. Just not my cup of tea. :wink:

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Here's one:

*To someone eating M&M's: "Don't eat the red ones."*

Peggy Sue Got Married

The main character (Peggy Sue) tells her sister who's eating from a bowl of M&Ms not to eat the red ones. The sister asks why, and I wish I could remember the reply!

Ok, I think #13 is the vendor from 'A streetcar named Desire'.

Yup - thats the ticket, was also in the simpsons send up Ned Flanders as a torso baring Brando wannabe - fantastic!

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

An evening recap nightcap -

Congratulations to GTO for solving the "red hots' movie and to Insomniac for guessing the Simpson connection to the same movie (back a couple pages in this discussion).

I'm trying something new with the numbers to remain consistent...as a number/movie is solved, it gets retired (there was confusion when movies would be shifted up the list as others got solved):

A. UTTERLY UNSOLVED

2. a spaghetti-proof bib, two pork chops and a few slaps round the chops........

CLUE: the guy aspires to win a girl above his station in life. The movie could be called sexist and vulgar, but has become a bit of a cult classic for the male star

5. Tuna noodle casserole for Sunday dinner, and hot chocolate and lemon drops before bed. Movie also contains catfish and popcorn.

CLUE: If it helps any, it was written by a Southern writer

Another CLUE: This author also wrote another script/movie mentioned near the begining of the thread

7. Homemade ketchup that may be too sweet ("All men like it on the sweet side").

8. To someone eating M&M's: "Don't eat the red ones."

9. A breakfast tray with a bowl of hot cereal, a teapot, a teacup and saucer, and a mouse.

10. "I love it when it's hamburger day."

11. A flopped souffle because she doesn't turn on the oven.

12. A popsicle made of ketchup.

14. a very surreal dinner scene where a cooked chicken starts moving around when it's time to carve it.

B. AWAITING CONFIRMATION ON SOLUTIONS:

- JeanneCake has guessed that #8 (To someone eating M&M's: "Don't eat the red ones.") is "Peggy Sue Got Married".

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Here's one:

Peggy Sue Got Married

The main character (Peggy Sue) tells her sister who's eating from a bowl of M&Ms not to eat the red ones. The sister asks why, and I wish I could remember the reply!

Even though it has not been confirmed, I say you are right. Because Peggy is from the Future, and has gone back to when she was a teenager, she ( her future she) is already aware of such food additives and colorings as FD&C #40 red and its carcinogenic probabilities( I can remember when there was a big deal about it and they had to stop adding it to foods)and therefore tells her sister not to eat them!

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

#9 sounds like "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane,"

but I am probably wrong, Because I remember there being the invalid sister's pet bird on the tray.

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Here's one:

Peggy Sue Got Married

Yes! #8. "To someone eating M&M's: "Don't eat the red ones." --from Peggy Sue Got Married. When her sister protests, Peggy Sue says, "They're bad for you. They cause...red lips." :shock:

Congrats, JeanneCake! :smile:

I'll add a clue for #6: the meal being envisioned is the fantasy reward of a planned (rather whimsical) life of crime. The full quote (it came back to me !) is:

"Steaks THAT THICK... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings".

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

well done Forest for remembering ExistenZ.....the bone eating scene is truly stomach churning :wacko:

can I add one more??

We've got a blind date with Destiny - and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

can I add one more??

We've got a blind date with Destiny - and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Mystery Men

yep, that movie was a shocker, viewed intermittently when I was walking thru the room the kids were watching it in, but there were a few funny lines :smile:

I'd like to throw in a new quote from a British film from the late 1980s.

"We want the finest wines available to humanity......we want them here, and we want them now!"

That would be Withnail and I.

Si

Thought it would be someone this side of the pond to get this one first...I am unfortunately familiar with the drinking game :wacko:

Handmade Films, where would we be without them?? :smile:

hey Simon at first I thought you were signing off all your posts in Spanish :smile::smile:

Edited by insomniac (log)

Simon and Insomniac.....you are too good. I thought the wine quote might be more difficult than the bit of dialogue I really loved when Withnail and Marwood were starving and squabbling about who was going to kill the live chicken that was pecking around in the kitchen. The whole film is hilarious but particularly that scene.

Is this the thread to ask if there is a movie scene mentioning or showing crabsticks?

I'm kind of curious about these crabsticks that got left behind there.

Do you know a movie in which crabsticks are featured prominently enough that we could guess the movie based just on that clue? (in which case, right thread!)

OR

Are you just wondering if there are any movies out there that have crabsticks in them, but don't know what they would be? (in which case, probably not the right thread.)

I hope it's the first because I'm at a deadend with all the others and need something else to guess at!

:smile:

52 martinis blog

@52martinis