• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

New challenge.

One of the most memorable scenes, in what movie, featured baked beans and chocolate syrup?

A boyhood fantasy of mine: Ann Margaret covered in chocolate syrup.

Tommy is the answer.

You are correct - A fantasy of mine as well.

Could #1 be 1941?  I can't think of any other movie that referenced Dumbo in it.  Plus, it's the Spielberg film that many have forgotten (but how could you???!!!)

brilliant Varmint...I love that movie; my favourite line is 'the dummy's right'

when the ventriloqist's dummy warns of the raid.....hahahahahaha

Could #1 be 1941?  I can't think of any other movie that referenced Dumbo in it.  Plus, it's the Spielberg film that many have forgotten (but how could you???!!!)

brilliant Varmint...I love that movie; my favourite line is 'the dummy's right'

when the ventriloqist's dummy warns of the raid.....hahahahahaha

Belushi with pantyhose and oranges; "I'm a bug!"

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

YES! Such a silly movie, but cooking scene scandalized me when I was a child. You're now my hero, Varmint!

April

One cantaloupe is ripe and lush/Another's green, another's mush/I'd buy a lot more cantaloupe/ If I possessed a fluoroscope. Ogden Nash

What movie contains the following line....

""Hear ye, hear ye, hear ye. We've come to play for our dinner. Or should I say, stay for our dinner. Or even slay for our dinner...We've come to drink your wine, taste your food and take pleasure in your women.""

""Hear ye, hear ye, hear ye. We've come to play for our dinner. Or should I say, stay for our dinner. Or even slay for our dinner...We've come to drink your wine, taste your food and take pleasure in your women.""

Easy Rider....i thought it was such a cool movie til I saw it again recently :sad:

[

10. Revised clue: Birthday cake (and party) ruined by a seagull...or two...or...

Hitchcock's "The Birds"?

azurite

You got it! :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Easy Rider....i thought it was such a cool movie til I saw it again recently :sad:

Another correct answer. You folks are good.

In which movie does a character imitate a zit using a hard-bolied egg?

Animal House!

April

One cantaloupe is ripe and lush/Another's green, another's mush/I'd buy a lot more cantaloupe/ If I possessed a fluoroscope. Ogden Nash

Based on ICTD's new clue, what REALLY, really bad movie--attended reluctantly because it meant good company for dinner--presents the slow peeling of a hard-boiled egg as a sign of unmitigated evil?

ETA: April, I can't believe you solved Karen's clue before I finished this post! :laugh:

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

ps.

another clue for No. 2: the guy aspires to win a girl above his station in life. The movie could be called sexist and vulgar, but has become a bit of a cult classic for the male star

I don't have a guess on #2 but I am attempting to narrow it down.

I'm thinking this has to be a British/European film since the phrase "a few slaps around the chops" is more a British phrase than American. Also, having to do with a "station in life" which, again, is a British term (see any Merchant-Ivory film).

Does this narrow it any?

Tim Oliver

Based on ICTD's new clue, what REALLY, really bad movie--attended reluctantly because it meant good company for dinner--presents the slow peeling of a hard-boiled egg as a sign of unmitigated evil?

That'd be Angel Heart. You thought it was that bad? Hmm. Not as good as the original book but it didn't (as my favorite movie critic once wrote) "do for movies what the Jonestown cool aid did for kids' drinks." :raz:

Chad

Edited by Chad (log)

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

2. a spaghetti-proof bib, two pork chops and a few slaps round the chops........

CLUE: the guy aspires to win a girl above his station in life. The movie could be called sexist and vulgar, but has become a bit of a cult classic for the male star

Long shot guess here - The Godfather?

A "nooner" recap:

A. UTTERLY UNSOLVED

2. a spaghetti-proof bib, two pork chops and a few slaps round the chops........

CLUE: the guy aspires to win a girl above his station in life. The movie could be called sexist and vulgar, but has become a bit of a cult classic for the male star

3. How about a disgusting bony, lethal Chinese meal??

CLUE: How about: life's nothing but a game??

CLUE 2: the director famously weaves the psychological with the physical, sometimes reality and fantasy are blurred. i.e. he's a bit weird.

CLUE 3: the male lead is an English pin-up; the female lead American with an actor dad (no longer with us)

4. A ruined dinner, and chocolate chocolate chip ice cream to apologize.

CLUE: Later he gives her a box of chocolate-covered cherries with somebody else's name on it.

5. Tuna noodle casserole for Sunday dinner, and hot chocolate and lemon drops before bed. Movie also contains catfish and popcorn.

CLUE: If it helps any, it was written by a Southern writer

Another CLUE: This author also wrote another script/movie mentioned near the begining of the thread

6. "... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings".

B. SOLUTIONS AWAITING CONFIRMATION

1. "red hots.. get your red hots" GTO guesses the vendor calls this in "Streetcar Named Desire".

2. Carolyn has guessed that #4 is "Tootsie".

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

edited (Thanks varmint) to remove #1 ("1941").

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

A new movie to name...I will add clues eventually if no one gets it:

Homemade ketchup that may be too sweet ("All men like it on the sweet side").

Tim Oliver

A new movie to name...I will add clues eventually if no one gets it:

Homemade ketchup that may be too sweet ("All men like it on the sweet side").

That one is a little easy, so I'll leave it to the folks from Missouri to answer.

However, here's another one: a popsicle made of ketchup.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

CLUE 2: the director famously weaves the psychological with the physical, sometimes reality and fantasy are blurred. i.e. he's a bit weird.

CLUE 3: the male lead is an English pin-up; the female lead American with an actor dad (no longer with us)

I think this might be existenze (sp?)...There's a scene where someone makes a weapon out of bones in a chinese restaurant??

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

#4. Tootsie

Yes. "4. A ruined dinner, and chocolate chocolate chip ice cream to apologize. Later he gives her a box of chocolate-covered cherries with somebody else's name on it." --from Tootsie. Michael treated poor Sandy so badly while he was romancing Julie. Carolyn, you and I must watch the same kind of movies. :smile:

I think this might be existenze (sp?)...There's a scene where someone makes a weapon out of bones in a chinese restaurant??

YES! Finally! We have a winnah, folks.

The original poster, Insomniac, had pm'ed me and gave the answer: Existenz.

Way to go, Forest! :laugh::laugh:

Tim Oliver

Here's one:

*To someone eating M&M's: "Don't eat the red ones."*

Here's another:

*A breakfast tray with a bowl of hot cereal, a teapot, a teacup and saucer, and a mouse.*

Still another:

*"I love it when it's hamburger day."*

And because I love this one:

* A flopped souffle because she doesn't turn on the oven.*