• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

13 is easy: Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Correct!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!

I-call-the-duck you are right! It is Jaws I love the scene when Chief Brody and his wife are having dinner and young Marine biologist Matt Hopper comes in with the bad news, Brody stops eating and Hooper takes his dinner.

Varmit, you are also correct. It is Little Women.

1933 version stars Katherine Hepburn as Jo,( Oscar winner for On Golden Pond among others)

1949 , The young and beautiful Elizabeth Taylor( winner for Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe)

1994, Susan Sarandon( oscar for Dead Man Walking)( and Winona Ryder, nominee for Girl Interupted)

Congratulations to you both, we have some lovely parting gifts for you :raz::raz::raz:

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

9. Stuffed sheep's head and souffle. CLUE: dah du, dah du, dahdudahdudahdu (with cellos) throughout the film many other things were eaten, but that would be giving it away

Another CLUE: Not a comedy. serious. scary

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

octopussy??!?

A recap for the night:

1. Egg yolk, a turkey drumstick, and birthday cake? Further clues to this movie: A cook making horrible pancakes and fried eggs while the dancing dishwasher flings plates at him; and eating popcorn while watching the movie Dumbo.

2. a spaghetti-proof bib, two pork chops and a few slaps round the chops........

3. how about a disgusting bony,lethal chinese meal?? CLUE: How about: life's nothing but a game??

Another CLUE: the director famously weaves the psychological with the physical, sometimes reality and fantasy are blurred. i.e. he's a bit weird

4. what's the name of the movie that featured, among a variety of food items, bread and butter. CLUE: an additional combo that was prominent in the movie - honey and ice cubes.

5. A ruined dinner, and chocolate chocolate chip ice cream to apologize. CLUE: Later he gives her a box of chocolate-covered cherries with somebody else's name on it.

6. Tuna noodle casserole for Sunday dinner, and hot chocolate and lemon drops before bed. (Movie also contains catfish,and popcorn. ) CLUE: If it helps any, it was written by a Southern writer

Another CLUE: This author also wrote another script/movie mentioned near the begining of the thread

7. Two people at eating dinner when a third one arrives and says "Is anyone eating this?" and takes the man's plate.

8. "... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings".

9. "red hots.. get your red hots"

10. Revised clue: Birthday cake (and party) ruined by a seagull...or two...or...

-----------------------------------------------------

***NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

OK, not a movie, but who said he couldn't serve a Waldorf salad to a diner because 'the waldorfs are a bit off'?

Basil Fawlty in "Fawlty Towers"

Bingo. Child's play, I guess. Or, as Basil would say, 'master of the bloody obvious' :laugh:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

'Nuther one:

*cappuccino with a "leetle tweest" of lemon in it*

Beverly Hills Cop.................. " I make eet mahsellff"

Love that scene, our first intro to Bronson Pincho

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

'Nuther one:

*cappuccino with a "leetle tweest" of lemon in it*

Beverly Hills Cop.................. " I make eet mahsellff"

Love that scene, our first intro to Bronson Pincho

You got it... none other than Serge himself! :laugh:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

A recap for the night:

4. what's the name of the movie that featured, among a variety of food items, bread and butter. CLUE: an additional combo that was prominent in the movie - honey and ice cubes.

It's not 9 1/2 weeks, is it? the honey/ice cube things sounds like something that might have been in it?

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

Midnight margaritas and saguaro shaped pancakes

Is it Practical Magic caroled????? rings a bell (faint :smile: )

yes it is. .(along with a pitcher or warm, poisoned maple syrup, if memory serves)

A recap for the night:

It's not 9 1/2 weeks, is it? the honey/ice cube things sounds like something that might have been in it?

We have a winner. Bread and Butter (Devo) is on the soundtrack. Honey and ice cubes are a couple of the props.

Remains of the Day Before

A. UTTERLY UNSOLVED

1. Egg yolk, a turkey drumstick, and birthday cake?

Further clues to this movie: A cook making horrible pancakes and fried eggs while the dancing dishwasher flings plates at him; and eating popcorn while watching the movie Dumbo. (Now the official stumper.)

2. a spaghetti-proof bib, two pork chops and a few slaps round the chops........

CLUE: the guy aspires to win a girl above his station in life. The movie could be called sexist and vulgar, but has become a bit of a cult classic for the male star

3. How about a disgusting bony, lethal Chinese meal??

CLUE: How about: life's nothing but a game??

CLUE 2: the director famously weaves the psychological with the physical, sometimes reality and fantasy are blurred. i.e. he's a bit weird.

CLUE 3: the male lead is an English pin-up; the female lead American with an actor dad (no longer with us)

4. A ruined dinner, and chocolate chocolate chip ice cream to apologize.

CLUE: Later he gives her a box of chocolate-covered cherries with somebody else's name on it.

5. Tuna noodle casserole for Sunday dinner, and hot chocolate and lemon drops before bed. Movie also contains catfish and popcorn.

CLUE: If it helps any, it was written by a Southern writer

Another CLUE: This author also wrote another script/movie mentioned near the begining of the thread

6. "... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings".

B. SOLUTIONS AWAITING CONFIRMATION

1. "red hots.. get your red hots" GTO guesses the vender calls this in "Streetcar Named Desire".

2. Revised clue: Birthday cake (and party) ruined by a seagull...or two...or... : Azurite says "The Birds".

For the record regarding the stuffed sheep's head: Insomniac deserves credit for solving this immediately after Carolyn Tillie gave clue; dockl re-solved it, also correctly.

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Pontormo, Toliver,

gentlemen, may I add another clue to No. 3:the male lead is an English pin-up, the female lead American with an actor dad (no longer with us)

ps.

another clue for No. 2: the guy aspires to win a girl above his station in life. The movie could be called sexist and vulgar, but has become a bit of a cult classic for the male star

Edited by insomniac (log)

Pontormo, Toliver,

gentlemen, may I add another clue to No. 3:the male lead is an English pin-up, the female lead American with an actor dad (no longer with us)

ps.

another clue for No. 2: the guy aspires to win a girl above his station in life. The movie could be called sexist and vulgar, but has become a bit of a cult classic for the male star

Done, gladly, though I be as much a gentleman as thee! :wink:

Also, let me add one more request for those offering solutions:

Please repeat the full clue as well as the number in the most recent list. It's easier to keep track of that way.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Pontormo, Toliver,

ps.

Done, gladly, though I be as much a gentleman as thee! :wink:

Also, let me add one more request for those offering solutions:

Please repeat the full clue as well as the number in the most recent list. It's easier to keep track of that way.

You should be Pontorma :smile: ...............oops, sorry Pontormo

as bad as thinking Shalmanese was a lady.................(I'm a dude man was quite funny)

Edited by insomniac (log)

New challenge.

One of the most memorable scenes, in what movie, featured baked beans and chocolate syrup?

A boyhood fantasy of mine: Ann Margaret covered in chocolate syrup.

Tommy is the answer.

the scary bit was Jack Nicholson trying to sing :wacko: