• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

This is an updated recap of what is still in play:

Toliver, you are doing a wonderful job as host :smile:

I've been waiting to see one that I know (and can post before someone else gets there) as an 'in'. Whether this is for the sake of the thread, or to avoid getting wrapped up in it myself, I haven't figured out yet.

In the meantime I'm nursing a nicely obscure non-Hollywood one - to keep it warm, you understand.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

'anytime  of day is a good time for pie' is spoken by Fabienne in one of my other favs, Pulp Fiction. Interestingly (stop me if I'm boring you) :smile: Patricia Arquette first spoke the line as the hooker Alabama in True Romance which was also written by Quentin Tarantino  and came out in the early 1990's :smile:(just before Pulp Fiction) ...a really good movie and full of the trademark violence, drugs, gangsters etc etc ,...much better than it sounds I promise.

Good catch ! Exactly what I was looking for. :biggrin:

Yes, it is one of those quirkt QT things. I love QT and his cartoony violence. True Romance is my favorite, and yes, despite how it sounds, it really IS a good movie!

Here's what i've got...

1. It takes two

2. Super Troopers

3. When Harry met Sally

4. Something about Mary

5. Lady and the Tramp?

6. Repo Man

7. Soylent Green?

8. NOt a CLUE

9. Secret of my success?

A lot has gone on since this morning!  Great work, everyone!

Ludja:  I am going to disqualify myself on yours because I get the feeling we've both referred to the movie mit those disgusting Aalen, nein?

And though I didn't see the movie, the cleaning out of the fridge blind-folded seems to be a reference to 9 1/2 Weeks or days or hours....

Here's what remains, though I'd guess folk in The Netherlands would scratch their heads and shrug at number 2 wondering how it could possibly be memorable.

As for 3, the movie was clearly recalled, but never named.  It's something I don't know, so please clue in the clueless.

1. Peanut butter and ground beef

2. French fries and gravy

3. "Huge coconut cake with the tiers, and ...very rich chocolate sauce on the side."

4. "Beans and franks! Beans and franks!"

5. One long piece of spaghetti

6. "Plate O' Shrimp"

7.  Cans of generic "Food"

8.  Eels, eel pie, eels, eels, eels.....

And while I think this is kind of obvious, there are some above whose posters thought everyone would guess promptly, yet they're still on the list!  So.....

9. Forbidden Fruit: a big, juicy grape

#10 is Clueless

This is an updated recap of what is still in play:

1. a ritz cracker and chopped liver

2. Egg yolk, a turkey drumstick, and birthday cake?  Further clues to this movie: A cook making horrible pancakes and fried eggs while the dancing dishwasher flings plates at him; and eating popcorn while watching the movie Dumbo.

3. a spaghetti-proof bib, two pork chops and a few slaps round the chops........

4. At the beginning of the film: milk & crackers.

Towards the end of the film: "No milk & crackers."

(Inbetween the two there was gelato, champagne & cold coffee)

5. how about a disgusting bony,lethal chinese meal??

6. A large ham CLUE: about the size of a little girl

7. A pint of chocolate ice cream, eaten directly from the container, and a bowl of Wheaties with milk. Neither got finished.

8. Bacon, lettuce (only the soft parts), and tomato with mayonnaise on pumpernickel toast (with the crusts cut off).

9. what's the name of the movie that featured, among a variety of food items, bread and butter.

10. A roll of Pillsbury cookie dough in the oven.

11. A ruined dinner, and chocolate chocolate chip ice cream to apologize.

12. Tuna noodle casserole for Sunday dinner, and hot chocolate and lemon drops before bed.  (Movie also contains catfish,and popcorn. )

13. Pie and sausages, POPOVERS and coffee... and everything

14. "You know in Cambodia, you could get a lobster dinner for a dollar".

--------------------------------------------------------------------

If I missed any or if some have been solved, please PM me.

Toliver, you are doing a wonderful job as host  :smile:

In the meantime I'm nursing a nicely obscure non-Hollywood one - to keep it warm, you understand.

Toliver, where is the blush emoticon? Yes, thank you, thank you in public, for agreeing to step in and keep tabs on these lists!

Insomniac, thanks for the good news! Carolyn, for the erotica; that may have been my first sexy movie. You'll find the still-photography version in some of Ling's posts in the dessert thread.

And Blether, while we're waiting for the fruits of your mental labor, here's a bit of information for other Netflix subscribers or DVD collectors: Warner's DVD of "Swing Time" has two special features with only minor relevance to the Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers film.

One is an old cartoon which you ought to watch first. You'll see two houseflies eating spaghetti the way it's done in the much later Disney "Lady and the Tramp."

Most bizarre is a terrible, corny short film called "Hotel a la Swing" where a trip to the rooftop nightclub will get you a bouncy little number called "Holiday in Hades": complete with leggy devils in satin with glittering horns and a Martha Graham parody done as a pas de deux. The movie, as genre, might be considered a precursor to "Airplane!" and the recent slew of theme-based Hollywood send-offs of equivalent quality.

I mention it since there's a number in the kitchen performed by three chefs who, I am guessing, are supposed to evoke the Marx Brothers. They dance and sing about their willingness to serve you anything, anything but hash. Wild, man, wild.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

This is a real punt....is no. 4 Roman Holiday?? (milk, crackers, gelato,champagne, cold coffee??)

Ding! Ding! You are correct!

The milk & crackers was a sort of "frame" in the movie showing that at the end of the film she was no longer a child after her Roman romp with Gregory Peck.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

thanx for the size of the ham clue...No.6 has to be Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (Jim Carey/Count Olaf/large ham :smile: )

ps No. 14 Men in Black number 2

Number 6 is NOT Lemony Snicket. It's from a much older classic black & white film.

Tim Oliver

Here's what i've got...

1.  It takes two

2. Super Troopers

3. When Harry met Sally

4.  Something about Mary

5.  Lady and the Tramp?

6.  Repo Man

7.  Soylent Green?

8.  NOt a CLUE

9.  Secret of my success?

Some of those had previously been sovled and you were correct with some of your answers. Keep trying...you're doing very well.

Tim Oliver

An updated recap of what is still in play:

1. a ritz cracker and chopped liver

2. Egg yolk, a turkey drumstick, and birthday cake? Further clues to this movie: A cook making horrible pancakes and fried eggs while the dancing dishwasher flings plates at him; and eating popcorn while watching the movie Dumbo.

3. a spaghetti-proof bib, two pork chops and a few slaps round the chops........

4. how about a disgusting bony,lethal chinese meal??

5. A large ham CLUE: about the size of a little girl. ANOTHER CLUE that will give it away to some: The little girl was wearing the ham as a costume.

6. A pint of chocolate ice cream, eaten directly from the container, and a bowl of Wheaties with milk. Neither got finished.

7. what's the name of the movie that featured, among a variety of food items, bread and butter.

8. A ruined dinner, and chocolate chocolate chip ice cream to apologize.

9. Tuna noodle casserole for Sunday dinner, and hot chocolate and lemon drops before bed. (Movie also contains catfish,and popcorn. )

10. Pie and sausages, POPOVERS and coffee... and everything

11. How about a foreign movie with almost lethal gazpacho?

Tim Oliver

5. A large ham CLUE: about the size of a little girl. ANOTHER CLUE that will give it away to some: The little girl was wearing the ham as a costume.

To Kill a Mockingbird?

ritz cracker and chopped liver

Can a peas, my ass..............

Godfather 2 ! :laugh:

Edited by dockhl (log)

To Kill a Mockingbird?

yes, that was bugging me...Scout dressed as a ham :smile:

To Kill a Mockingbird?

Yes! Her class was putting on a "Salute to Agriculture" and her costume represented pork.

[HOMER]Mmmm...pork.[/HOMER] :laugh:

Tim Oliver

An updated recap of what is still in play:

1. Egg yolk, a turkey drumstick, and birthday cake? Further clues to this movie: A cook making horrible pancakes and fried eggs while the dancing dishwasher flings plates at him; and eating popcorn while watching the movie Dumbo.

2. a spaghetti-proof bib, two pork chops and a few slaps round the chops........

3. how about a disgusting bony,lethal chinese meal??

4. A pint of chocolate ice cream, eaten directly from the container, and a bowl of Wheaties with milk. Neither got finished.

5. what's the name of the movie that featured, among a variety of food items, bread and butter.

6. A ruined dinner, and chocolate chocolate chip ice cream to apologize.

7. Tuna noodle casserole for Sunday dinner, and hot chocolate and lemon drops before bed. (Movie also contains catfish,and popcorn. )

8. Pie and sausages, POPOVERS and coffee... and everything

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new one:

9. Corn, lots of it....and a hot dog.

Tim Oliver

To Kill a Mockingbird?

Yes! Her class was putting on a "Salute to Agriculture" and her costume represented pork.

[HOMER]Mmmm...pork.[/HOMER] :laugh:

One of the best adaptations from a book EVER.

I don't know why I think #3 is from Eat, Drink, Man, Woman, only because the father was such a terrible cook.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

An updated recap with a new clue for #3:

1. Egg yolk, a turkey drumstick, and birthday cake? Further clues to this movie: A cook making horrible pancakes and fried eggs while the dancing dishwasher flings plates at him; and eating popcorn while watching the movie Dumbo.

2. a spaghetti-proof bib, two pork chops and a few slaps round the chops........

3. how about a disgusting bony,lethal chinese meal?? CLUE: How about: life's nothing but a game??

4. A pint of chocolate ice cream, eaten directly from the container, and a bowl of Wheaties with milk. Neither got finished.

5. what's the name of the movie that featured, among a variety of food items, bread and butter.

6. A ruined dinner, and chocolate chocolate chip ice cream to apologize.

7. Tuna noodle casserole for Sunday dinner, and hot chocolate and lemon drops before bed. (Movie also contains catfish,and popcorn. )

8. Pie and sausages, POPOVERS and coffee... and everything

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new one:

9. Corn, lots of it....and a hot dog.

Tim Oliver

I don't know why I think #3 is from Eat, Drink, Man, Woman, only because the father was such a terrible cook.

You're being facetious, right? I was actually trying to think of one emblematic food from Ang Lee's early films and just drew a blank, though the child's gorgeous school lunches come to mind with their layer upon layer of dishes.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath