• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

Here are a few others to ponder:

Tuna noodle casserole for Sunday dinner, and hot chocolate and lemon drops before bed.

Pie and sausages, POPOVERS and coffee... and everything

Real lemon meringue pie, not that stuff out of a can

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Real lemon meringue pie, not that stuff out of a can

Million Dollar Baby

New one:

A radish dug straight out of the clay

Correct;

Gone With the Wind

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Delta Burke makes a tuna noodle casserole topped with Lays with her bare hands :smile: in Sordid Lives, (the white trash movie starring Texan ladies with big hair and gay Beau Bridges,) about the death and funeral of an adulterous grandma who dies tripping over her lover's prosthetic leg and hitting her head :smile::smile: and who wanted to be buried in a mink coat with the head still attached :smile::smile::smile:

somehow I don't think this is the one you are looking for caroled?? :huh: as I can't recall lemon drops or hot chocolate

Doddie do you mean MIB2 (Cambodian lobster dinner??)

"A loaf of bread, a carton of milk and a stick of butter."

Courtesy of you tube.

I'm pushing 40, and I'm still quoting Sesame Street.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Alright, you smarty-pants.... here is an exact quote. I defy all of you:

The proper way to eat a fig in society is to split it in four holding it by the stump and open it so that it is a glittering, rosy, moist, honeyed, heavy-petaled, four-petaled flower. Then you throw away the skin after you have taken off the blossom with your lips. But the vulgar way is just to put your mouth to the crack and take out the flesh in one bite. The fig is a very secretive fruit. The ltalians vulgarly say it stands for the female part, the fig fruit.

The fissure, the yoni, the wonderful moist conductivity towards the center involved, inturned.... One small way of access only, and this close-curtained from the light. Sap that smells strange on your fingers, so that even goats won't taste it.

And when the fig has kept her secret long enough so it explodes, and you see,

through the fissure, the scarlet.  And the fig is finished, the year is over.

That's how the fig dies; showing her crimson through the purple slit. Like a wound... the exposure of her secret on the open day. Like a prostitute, the bursting fig makes a show of her secret. That's how women die, too.

Alright, you smarty-pants.... here is an exact quote. I defy all of you:
The proper way to eat a fig in society is to split it in four holding it by the stump and open it so that it is a glittering, rosy, moist, honeyed, heavy-petaled, four-petaled flower. Then you throw away the skin after you have taken off the blossom with your lips. But the vulgar way is just to put your mouth to the crack and take out the flesh in one bite. The fig is a very secretive fruit. The ltalians vulgarly say it stands for the female part, the fig fruit.

The fissure, the yoni, the wonderful moist conductivity towards the center involved, inturned.... One small way of access only, and this close-curtained from the light. Sap that smells strange on your fingers, so that even goats won't taste it.

And when the fig has kept her secret long enough so it explodes, and you see,

through the fissure, the scarlet.  And the fig is finished, the year is over.

That's how the fig dies; showing her crimson through the purple slit. Like a wound... the exposure of her secret on the open day. Like a prostitute, the bursting fig makes a show of her secret. That's how women die, too.

I never remember a single thing from movies, but "Night of the Shooting Stars" just popped into my mind. Probably wrong, but anyway. :biggrin:

(Or "Amarcord". The quote sounds Fellini-ish. :wink: )

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

Courtesy of you tube

Thank you for correcting me. Somehow in my ever aging mind I have always seen a little boy going to the store and as he said to the shopkeeper what he wanted images of them appeared. I could have sworn that there was a potato overhead :laugh:

Ken Russells' Women in Love

that's a DH Lawrence poem called I think 'Figs', (funnily enuf :smile: )

Very good... a film I adore, partly because of that Fig Scene.

:shock: My goodness. insomniac, you are so good at this that I am not sure whether you should write a book on the subject or merely head down to the pub to make bets on your guesses! :biggrin:

You all are rather incredible, actually. I am awed, truly. :smile:

Courtesy of you tube

Thank you for correcting me. Somehow in my ever aging mind I have always seen a little boy going to the store and as he said to the shopkeeper what he wanted images of them appeared. I could have sworn that there was a potato overhead :laugh:

Must have been all the LSD I did at 6, :raz: it was the early 70's ya know!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Good guess on the tuna casserole, but no cigar. Movie also contains catfish,and popcorn.

Ken Russells' Women in Love

that's a DH Lawrence poem called I think 'Figs', (funnily enuf :smile: )

Very good... a film I adore, partly because of that Fig Scene.

:shock: My goodness. insomniac, you are so good at this that I am not sure whether you should write a book on the subject or merely head down to the pub to make bets on your guesses! :biggrin:

You all are rather incredible, actually. I am awed, truly. :smile:

I shall do what I normally do and head down to the pub........... :raz:

This is an updated recap of what is still in play:

1. a ritz cracker and chopped liver

2. Egg yolk, a turkey drumstick, and birthday cake? Further clues to this movie: A cook making horrible pancakes and fried eggs while the dancing dishwasher flings plates at him; and eating popcorn while watching the movie Dumbo.

3. a spaghetti-proof bib, two pork chops and a few slaps round the chops........

4. At the beginning of the film: milk & crackers.

Towards the end of the film: "No milk & crackers."

(Inbetween the two there was gelato, champagne & cold coffee)

5. how about a disgusting bony,lethal chinese meal??

6. A large ham CLUE: about the size of a little girl

7. A pint of chocolate ice cream, eaten directly from the container, and a bowl of Wheaties with milk. Neither got finished.

8. Bacon, lettuce (only the soft parts), and tomato with mayonnaise on pumpernickel toast (with the crusts cut off).

9. what's the name of the movie that featured, among a variety of food items, bread and butter.

10. A roll of Pillsbury cookie dough in the oven.

11. A ruined dinner, and chocolate chocolate chip ice cream to apologize.

12. Tuna noodle casserole for Sunday dinner, and hot chocolate and lemon drops before bed. (Movie also contains catfish,and popcorn. )

13. Pie and sausages, POPOVERS and coffee... and everything

14. "You know in Cambodia, you could get a lobster dinner for a dollar".

--------------------------------------------------------------------

If I missed any or if some have been solved, please PM me.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Is #12 "Big Fish"?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver