• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

I always knew that pretending I was poorly to stay at home and watch the midday movie on TV when I was very young, coupled with choosing to be a late breeder, would somehow one day stand me in good stead :wink:

all the coffees are from Some Like it Hot when the speakeasy password was 'I've come for grandma's funeral' :biggrin: 'Wait a minute;haven't you got a pew not so close to the band?' :biggrin:

*Scotch coffee, Canadian coffee, sour-mash coffee* from Some Like It Hot.

Yep. Congrats, insomniac. :smile:

Ready for some more?

Here's one:

*A gift of homemade chocolate cake (no hacksaw or file in it).*

Another one:

*A roll of Pillsbury cookie dough in the oven.*

Still another one:

*Scrambled egg (one egg), black coffee, and doughnuts.*

The finale:

*A ruined dinner, and chocolate chocolate chip ice cream to apologize.*

the first thing that springs to mind is that the homemade cake is from Sounder for the dad when he is in prison. Have to sleep on the others :rolleyes:

I don't think the chocolate chip icecream from Kramer v Kramer when Billy refuses the salisbury steak is the answer to the last one??? :smile:

actually just realised that the one scrambled egg etc is from one of my all time favourite movies It Happened One Night with Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert. A total classic, not to be missed. (The inside of the bus is like no greyhound today and I don't think a blanket room divider would last the night now either)

Edited by insomniac (log)

the homemade cake is from Sounder for the dad when he is in prison

the one scrambled egg etc is from one of my all time favourite movies It Happened One Night with Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert.

Yep!

*A gift of homemade chocolate cake (no hacksaw or file in it)* from Sounder.

*Scrambled egg (one egg), black coffee, and doughnuts* from It Happened One Night. Where did you learn to dunk doughnuts, in finishing school? :laugh: I still drool over Gable. Maybe it's a generational thing.

insomniac, we may have to give you the title of "emeritus," and retire you.

Edited by djyee100 (log)

boiled bunny (EAAAASY)

Gee, you guys are good. Finally one I can answer...Fatal Attraction. (I'm such a wuss I had to avert my eyes at that scene.)

Speaking of easy...

Fresh Oregon Boysenberry Sherbet.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I saw Master and the Commander again last night and remembered a certain egullet member who happened to be the resident expert on foods that appear in author Patrick O'Brien's novels.

I started to dig into the distant past and found this post by balmagowry who I wish would come around more often. Balmagowry was one of the two authors of "Lobscouse & Spotted Dog: Which is a Gastronomic Companion to the Aubrey/Maturin Novels" Aimed at reader's of, and tied directly to, Patrick O'Brien's British novels, it includes nineteenth century recipes for Burgoo, Ship's Biscuit, Skillygalee, Drowned Baby, Sea-Pie, Figgy-Dowdy, Soused Hog's Face, Solomomgundy and much, much more. I submit the following diversion while we think of more candidates!

QUOTE (Jack)

What would have had on board ship?  I guess  not flour, as it might be difficult to keep it maggot free on long voyages. Ships biscuit, crushed instead of breadcrumbs. No reason not to have treacle, and certainly rum. Some dried fruit, but it would be a luxury.  Eggs, but only early in the voyage.  Would they have had lard? Maybe barrels, or salted./QUOTE

To this, fortunately, we know the answer, thanks to William Falconer, who included in his Dictionary of the Marine a detailed paraphrase of the Victualling Board's regulations for 1797. We know which days they were given beef and which pork; we know how often they had oatmeal, sugar, butter and cheese, and how much of it. As for flour, the regulations say this:

QUOTE (Falconer)

One day in every week there shall be issued out a proportion of flour and suet in lieu of beef, but this is not to extend beyond four months victualling at one time./QUOTE

That, of course, applies only to the men; the officers were a different story. With luck they might have eggs and milk and cream for the duration of the voyage, assuming the livestock they brought on board with them survived and continued producing. A well-heeled captain could eat very luxuriously indeed; but even a lowly midshipman might own a scraggly hen or two.

Keep flour maggot-free? They couldn't, and didn't. Maggots and especially weevils abounded, and late in a voyage they were prized as a source of fresh protein. They also populated the hard-tack, and the men referred to them as "bargemen." You would never try to eat a biscuit ("try" being the mot juste - they are incredibly hard) without first tapping it on the table or the deck to shake the weevils out.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

boiled bunny (EAAAASY)

Gee, you guys are good. Finally one I can answer...Fatal Attraction. (I'm such a wuss I had to avert my eyes at that scene.)

Speaking of easy...

Way too easy...

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

boiled bunny (EAAAASY)

Speaking of easy...

Way too easy...

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

Yeah, I can get one over on you. I'll get you yet, Carolyn...mwahhhhhhhh. :wink:

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

All right... here's another one:

*Sometimes the spaghetti likes to be alone.*

Oh, it is right on the tip of my tongue. Marc Anthony and Minnie Driver, right? My son was all about that movie.

That reminds me:

"North Atlantic scrod with Quaker State"

Edit to add: That's it, thanks dockhl! I wouldn't have been able to sleep well.

Edited by annecros (log)

That reminds me:

"North Atlantic scrod with Quaker State"

Edit to add: That's it, thanks dockhl! I wouldn't have been able to sleep well.

That would be in a speech made by Will to the NSA guys from Good Will Hunting.

Edited by tino27 (log)

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

creme de la creme a la Edgar is the potion that Edgar drugs Duchess and the kittens with in 'the Aristocats' (you need kids who are around 18 now to know the answer :smile: )

Naturellement!

This one's a TV show:l

"A loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter."

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

Forest, the "french fries, French Dressing, French toast, French bread" is of course from Better off Dead.

ah, thank you...someone got it...i was beginning to think i was weird for posting something that no one picked up on. there's actaully quite a lot of bad food in that movie! But, i still find it funny anyway. and then she finsihed with "and to drink, peru!"

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

creme de la creme a la Edgar is the potion that Edgar drugs Duchess and the kittens with in 'the Aristocats' (you need kids who are around 18 now to know the answer :smile: )

Naturellement!

Sesame Street?

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

the homemade cake is from Sounder for the dad when he is in prison

the one scrambled egg etc is from one of my all time favourite movies It Happened One Night with Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert.

Yep!

*A gift of homemade chocolate cake (no hacksaw or file in it)* from Sounder.

*Scrambled egg (one egg), black coffee, and doughnuts* from It Happened One Night. Where did you learn to dunk doughnuts, in finishing school? :laugh: I still drool over Gable. Maybe it's a generational thing.

insomniac, we may have to give you the title of "emeritus," and retire you.

everyone on here seems to have a ton of trivia filed away....and may I say djyee your taste in men is superlative :smile:

'anytime of day is a good time for pie' is spoken by Fabienne in one of my other favs, Pulp Fiction. Interestingly (stop me if I'm boring you) :smile: Patricia Arquette first spoke the line as the hooker Alabama in True Romance which was also written by Quentin Tarantino and came out in the early 1990's :smile:(just before Pulp Fiction) ...a really good movie and full of the trademark violence, drugs, gangsters etc etc ,...much better than it sounds I promise.

Edited by insomniac (log)

Naturellement!

Sesame Street?

I , at 41 can still remember and quote this. Mom is sending her son to the store for a short list of groceries and the items are:

A loaf of bread,potato and milk and a stick of butter.

I thought I was the only one who ever thought of this reference. Thanks for the memorie. :smile:

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett