• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

Here's one - poodle pie, force fed via funnel as I recall

Forgot the name of the movie, but Vincent Price did it, right? The actor murdered was/is obese, British (?) and has very thick, curly eyebrows; played a restaurant critic.

Yup, the movie was Tales from the Crypt, Vincent Price was the actor who was killing all his critics. He killed this guy by cooking up his poodles into pie and force feeding them down his throat.

I'll toss out a really obscure one: Jiffy Squid!

It's the famous Memphis seafood resto, Jiffy Squid

'Fresh juicy squid dipped in a (unintelligible) batter, rolled in our own

herbs and spices, served with a tangy sauce withour own secret

ingredients.'

Mystery Train.

Tom is the DJ, Screamin' Jay is the desk clerk

not keen on it myself, but my son is a fan :smile: so enforced viewing

I'll toss out a really obscure one: Jiffy Squid!

It's the famous Memphis seafood resto, Jiffy Squid

'Fresh juicy squid dipped in a (unintelligible) batter, rolled in our own

herbs and spices, served with a tangy sauce withour own secret

ingredients.'

Mystery Train.

Tom is the DJ, Screamin' Jay is the desk clerk

not keen on it myself, but my son is a fan :smile: so enforced viewing

That was fast! I love that movie, but Screamin' Jay Hawkins and Cinque Lee were especially brilliant. "Jiffy Squid? I ain't eatin' no damn Jiffy Squid." or "Say, you have anymore of those Japanese plums, or any other exotic fruits from around the globe?"

Must rent this soon.

Chad

edit: solecism

Edited by Chad (log)

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

Blueberry pie is easy -- Stand by Me, the "Revenge of Lardass Hogan" sequence.

How 'bout: an omelet, plain, and a chicken salad sandwich on wheat toast, no mayonnaise, no butter, no lettuce. And a cup of coffee.

Not sure, is it Five Easy Pieces after the tomato omelette bit?

Edited by insomniac (log)

Here's an easy one: cannolis

Actually, this is The Godfather, too.

Yep.

"Leave the gun. Take the cannolis."

What film is this: Crullers & a hot dog (or sausage). And there's a trivia bonus for behind the scenes of the film ("How'd they do that?") involving Jello.

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Is "French Fries and Gravy" from "Diner", directed by Barry Levinson? I seem to remember the characters eating them while discussing the Baltimore Colts.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

2. Eel soup, pickled eels, eels, eels, eels

The Tin Drum?

We have a winnah!

I recently saw the movie again and was still impressed by the visceral impact of the eel scenes. Great movie (and book).

A bit easier, perhaps:

rose petal sauce

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

OK, I'll comp that this belongs to a TV show, but it still fits in with the theme ...

"We take eighteen ounces of sizzling ground beef, and soak it in rich, creamery butter, then we top it off with bacon, ham, and a fried egg."

Bonus points if you can also name the burger.

:biggrin:

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

OK, I'll comp that this belongs to a TV show, but it still fits in with the theme ...

"We take eighteen ounces of sizzling ground beef, and soak it in rich, creamery butter, then we top it off with bacon, ham, and a fried egg."

Bonus points if you can also name the burger.

:biggrin:

Good Morning Burger, courtesy of The Simpsons!!!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Please post anything I've overlooked, but at the moment, the following references still have not been tied to movies:

1. Peanut butter and ground beef.

2. Pastrami with mayo

3. Crullers & a hot dog (or sausage). And there's a trivia bonus for behind the scenes of the film ("How'd they do that?") involving Jello

4. ".......and a microwave that browns!.......melted cheese, ummmmm I don't

think I EVER tasted melted cheese before."

5. rose petal sauce

6. Jarlsburg grilled cheese sammich

I don't think I've seen "Repo Man"--could someone verify that it is the source for "Plate O' Shrimp"?

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Please post anything I've overlooked, but at the moment, the following references still have not been tied to movies:

2. Pastrami with mayo

3. Crullers & a hot dog (or sausage). And there's a trivia bonus for behind the scenes of the film ("How'd they do that?") involving Jello

5. rose petal sauce

I don't think I've seen "Repo Man"--could someone verify that it is the source for "Plate O' Shrimp"?

I think rose petal sauce is from Like Water for Chocolate??

2. Pastrami with mayo

5. rose petal sauce

I think rose petal sauce is from Like Water for Chocolate??

Si, si. Quail with rose petal sauce.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Plate o' Shrimp is indeed from the wonderfully twisted Repo Man. Not only is it part of Tracy Walter's dialogue, but on a poster at the store that was famously robbed, it was a special that day.

Here's one:

eggs, oysters, whipped cream

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com