• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

Whew, you guys are good. Here's an easy one for you:

"Huge coconut cake with the tiers, and ...very rich chocolate sauce on the side."

"Because not everyone likes the sauce on the cake the coconut gets too soggy."

I always always always laugh when he spits the grape seeds out and the

window is closed. :laugh:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

"Ugh, why do you always have to de-turd these things? Look at this one, caught him after Thanksgiving feast, I think I'm gonna need a pooperscooper".

Movie?

Easy one ... "Tommy Boy"

How about "Beans and franks! Beans and franks!"

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

A lot has gone on since this morning! Great work, everyone!

Ludja: I am going to disqualify myself on yours because I get the feeling we've both referred to the movie mit those disgusting Aalen, nein?

And though I didn't see the movie, the cleaning out of the fridge blind-folded seems to be a reference to 9 1/2 Weeks or days or hours....

Here's what remains, though I'd guess folk in The Netherlands would scratch their heads and shrug at number 2 wondering how it could possibly be memorable.

As for 3, the movie was clearly recalled, but never named. It's something I don't know, so please clue in the clueless.

1. Peanut butter and ground beef

2. French fries and gravy

3. "Huge coconut cake with the tiers, and ...very rich chocolate sauce on the side."

4. "Beans and franks! Beans and franks!"

5. One long piece of spaghetti

6. "Plate O' Shrimp"

7. Cans of generic "Food"

8. Eels, eel pie, eels, eels, eels.....

And while I think this is kind of obvious, there are some above whose posters thought everyone would guess promptly, yet they're still on the list! So.....

9. Forbidden Fruit: a big, juicy grape

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

4: Lady and the Tramp

5:Something About Mary

7: Repo Man, to go along with the generic "drink" and generic "crimes." Pablo Picasso was never called and asshole!

Kerry Beal, so sorry: but the answer we were looking for was Platoon. Thanks for playing!!

Entire roast human--what movie?

Edited by Reefpimp (log)

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

As for 3, the movie was clearly recalled, but never named.  It's something I don't know, so please clue in the clueless.

3. "Huge coconut cake with the tiers, and ...very rich chocolate sauce on the side."

When Harry Met Sally with Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal.

Our introduction to Sally as she orders her meal at a restaurant: "I'd like the chef salad, please, with the oil and vinegar on the side. And the apple pie a la mode....But I'd like the pie heated, and I don't want the ice cream on top. I want it on the side. And I'd like strawberry instead of vanilla if you have it. If not, then no ice cream, just whipped cream, but only if it's real. If it's out of a can, then nothing. "

Hey Pontormo, the only grape I can think of is the forbidden one in the Spanish movie 'Pan's Labyrinth' that the young girl Ofelia eats but I don't think that's what you're getting at.....anyhoo it is a strange and compelling movie, recommended :smile:

peanut butter and ground beef is driving me nuts, you know that just out of sight feeling :blink:........ think I must have oldtimer's disease :smile:

Huge coconut cake..... When Harry Met Sally

I am such a doofus!( or the lack of sleep, take your pick )

As soon as I saw #3, I posted a reply and didn't even read the next page of posts to see that someone had already answered it. Sorry :blink:

edited for lack of sleep!

Edited by caroled (log)

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Hey Pontormo, the only grape I can think of is the forbidden one in the Spanish movie 'Pan's Labyrinth' that the young girl Ofelia eats but I don't think that's what you're getting at.....anyhoo it is a strange and compelling movie, recommended :smile:

The Mexican film was precisely what was on my mind. :smile:

Just didn't recall the wedding cake (I'm guessing) from Harry/Sally.

I have a feeling that if this game lasts, it will be a bit more chaotic than Janet & Anne's attentively tended "Six Degrees". Nonetheless:

3. "Beans and franks! Beans and franks!"

4. "Plate O' Shrimp"

5. Eels, eel pie, eels, eels, eels.....

Please do correct me if I've overlooked a solution or a clue. Feel free to add ones of your own whether or not you've correctly matched the food with the film.

How about some hints for the first item on the list, at least, maddogs?

Edited by Pontormo (log)

I have a feeling that if this game lasts, it will be a bit more chaotic than Janet & Anne's attentively tended "Six Degrees".  Nonetheless:

3. "Beans and franks! Beans and franks!"

4. "Plate O' Shrimp"

5. Eels, eel pie, eels, eels, eels.....

Please do correct me if I've overlooked a solution or a clue.  Feel free to add ones of your own whether or not you've correctly matched the food with the film.

It *probably* wouldn't stop someone from guessing it, but my clue for number five was:

eel soup, pickled eels, eels, eels, eels (I don't *think* there was eel pie)

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

How about this one--- blood-rare steak, toad-in-the-hole, oatmeal....

Moonstruck

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Not a movie, but a famous celebrity.

Never eat more than you can lift.

woodburner

Miss Piggy said that. :laugh:

edited to add:

Here's an easy one: cannolis

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I'm surprised this one hasn't been offered yet:

Nachos, corndogs, tater tots, steak.

Chad

Napoleon Dynamite

Blueberry pie?

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

Here's one - poodle pie, force fed via funnel as I recall

Forgot the name of the movie, but Vincent Price did it, right? The actor murdered was/is obese, British (?) and has very thick, curly eyebrows; played a restaurant critic.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

Here's an easy one: cannolis

Actually, this is The Godfather, too. As would be a slice of orange, flesh gripped by Brando's teeth.

Remaining:

1. Blueberry pie

2. Eel soup, pickled eels, eels, eels, eels

3. Peanut butter and ground beef

4. French fries and gravy

5. "Plate O' Shrimp"

And new:

6. Pastrami with mayo

Edited by Pontormo (log)

Blueberry pie is easy -- Stand by Me, the "Revenge of Lardass Hogan" sequence.

How 'bout: an omelet, plain, and a chicken salad sandwich on wheat toast, no mayonnaise, no butter, no lettuce. And a cup of coffee.

Edited by Chad (log)

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com