• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

reference for cuts of beef in spanish

jonnyhunter

So i'm in barcelona and enjoying the food here quite a bit. One thing i have found a bit tough is how to ask the butchers for different cuts of beef or pork. I'm not good enough with the anotomy of the animal to figure out where to ask from so if there is an online source that translates the different names of cuts that would be great. thanks,

Jonny

This isn't exactly what you are asking for, but it will probably help. This page features different meat cuts along their photographs, with their name in Spanish...

At the same time, someone once told me that meat cuts are not the same here and overseas, so it might be a bit difficult. What were you exactly looking for? If you describe it to me I can probably find out about the translation...

Mar

Middlebrow Catalan gastronomy??????

http://baixagastronomia.blogspot.com/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Cooking in Spain" by Janet Mendel has a good introductory section where she discusses all food types, giving a translation, description and any tips she might have about the food. The rest of it is just a Spanish cookbook, so it might be a lot to buy for just a small part of a section. I have found it useful though, especially the meat and fish sections. No diagrams to the best of my knowledge. She is American, but aware that the majority of her readers will be European English-speakers, so she is quite sensitive about using terms that both groups will be familiar with, which is useful for meat.