• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Verjuice

Chufi

I picked up a bottle of verjuice yesterday. I'd never tasted it before, and bought because I've read about it and was curious. It's much less acidic than I expected - delicately sour, very fragrant and light.

Because it's not as assertive as I'd thought (I was thinking of using it as a more flavorful sub for lemon juice) I am now thinking how to use this without drowning that delicate flavor? I used some to deglaze a pan after frying some meat yesterday, but then the verjuice flavor completely disappeared.

My bottle cost about 7 euro, it's made in South Africa by the Verjuice Co.

It depends, it's definitly not as assertive as vinegar or lemon juice, and the taste,fragrance and quality of verjus is so different from one maker to the next. I have used it to macerate fresh fruits, you know you get strawberries out of season or that just don't have that much taste, cut them and splash a little verjus, a pinch of sugar and boom the flavour and fruitiness is bumped up. I also use it where I want a little acidity and sourness without that vinegar taste. Some use it to liven up sauces, just a small spoonfull into your veal jus or whatnot. Also any type of fruit coulis or reduction can use a bit of this. Hope this helps a bit.

We have a local vineyard that makes it: my biggest success has been using it to deglaze the pan when making Frenched veal or lamb chops and pouring the jus over to serve. This vineyard also had a few recipes they give out, one that I recall used it for a vinaigrette dressing. If you google Wolffer maybe they have some online.

Make a pureed sauce out of verjus, capers and golden raisins excellent with seared scallops. Use in vinaigrettes, or use in anything to help balance flavors it is a nice source of sour without being too acidic.

It makes a beautiful "vinaigrette" with walnut oil.

Ha! That's what I did tonight! equal amounts of the verjuice and walnutoil, a little bit of Dijon mustard, salt and pepper en some finely chopped parsley, used to dress some cooked (cold) carrots. It was a delicious vinagrette and very different from what I usually make.

chefJB, the sauce for scallops sounds wonderful.

Get one of those plastic sheet chocolate moulds - the disc-shaped ones. Put a sliver of basil in the bottom of each hollow. Fill with verjuice and freeze. Offer as a palate cleanser between courses, with a small pair of tongs to place it on the tongue.

Gerhard Groenewald

www.mesamis.co.za

Wilderness