• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pillsbury Oven Baked biscuits from the freezer

Fat Guy

We had some Pillsbury "Oven Baked" biscuits at a friend's house last night. This product had escaped my notice. I've never much liked the Pillsbury biscuits that come in the refrigerated can. The line of Pillsbury biscuits called "Oven Baked," however, comes from the freezer section. You just take some of the frozen biscuits and put them in the oven -- you don't have to thaw them or anything -- and you have biscuits a few minutes later.

They're not bad. I mean, they're not competitive with good homemade biscuits, but they're better than bad homemade biscuits, and better than a lot of restaurant biscuits. They come in several formulations (Buttermilk, Southern Style, Butter Tastin', Flaky Layers, Cheddar Garlic). We had the "Flaky Layers."

Anybody else have experience with this product? I haven't done a comparison with the ingredients in the refrigerated biscuits, but it seems to me that at least in theory you don't need all the preservatives if you're going to freeze something -- maybe that's part of why they taste better.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

We had some Pillsbury "Oven Baked" biscuits at a friend's house last night. This product had escaped my notice. I've never much liked the Pillsbury biscuits that come in the refrigerated can. The line of Pillsbury biscuits called "Oven Baked," however, comes from the freezer section. You just take some of the frozen biscuits and put them in the oven -- you don't have to thaw them or anything -- and you have biscuits a few minutes later.

They're not bad. I mean, they're not competitive with good homemade biscuits, but they're better than bad homemade biscuits, and better than a lot of restaurant biscuits. They come in several formulations (Buttermilk, Southern Style, Butter Tastin', Flaky Layers, Cheddar Garlic). We had the "Flaky Layers."

Anybody else have experience with this product? I haven't done a comparison with the ingredients in the refrigerated biscuits, but it seems to me that at least in theory you don't need all the preservatives if you're going to freeze something -- maybe that's part of why they taste better.

I don't know if your Costco carries them, but some of the ones down here do and all of the Sam's Clubs have them, but I am a huge fan (well, not as huge as you are, but I'm huge, relatively speaking, I suppose) of Mary B's Frozen Ready to Bake Biscuits. So far, they are the ones that I think come closest to really well made biscuits concocted from scratch.

They're crazy handy to have in the freezer. In fact, I just got home from a really swell parade and I'm feeling a bit peckish. I think that I will go throw six of those little white hockey pucks into the oven, right now. Buttered biscuits and Steen's Syrup make a fine late night snack.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I'll vouch for Mary B.'s as well. They are especially handy for breakfast when you've got a house full of company, are trying to scramble eggs, make sausage and gravy, etc. One less thing to do, and they taste great.

Stop Family Violence

• 1 month later...

I hate that I didn't find this thread until now!! I have been amazed with the frozen biscuits, both Mary B and Pillsbury--especially the "flaky" ones! They are the next best thing to Popeye's!! IF you happen to have any left over(yeah, right!), they are GREAT split, buttered and toasted until browned--oh YEAH!!!

we had Mary B's Sunday morning. I bought the huge ones, 10 to a bag. One filled me up. They're so good it's not really worth it to make homemade anymore...unless they're bisquits to go with dinner and I want to show off. I love the buttermilk ones, they're the closest thing to homemade I've ever had. Only sllightly less calories than popeyes. I really need to check the fats etc on those things, that's the only reason to limit using them. Can you freeze homemade bisquits like that? That would be a useful thing to know.

As you can see by my signature line...bread is right up my alley.

My 80 year old Mother introduced me to these about five years ago. Matter of fact, we had the Butterflake dinner rolls yesterday and no one was the wiser. I loved how you set them up in your muffin tin and they spread open beautifully. I brushed them with some great butter and served them.

I do agree that nothing beats a homemade/well made roll/biscuit/bread but in the pinch these are wonderful.

I will sending our 19 year old to college with several bags.

Whoever said that man cannot live by bread alone...simply did not know me.

They're just so easy! And good, too. I still like to make homemade biscuits every now and then, but really it's more for the "event" of making them. Most Sunday mornings it's: 1) Heat oven 2) Move biscuits from bag to oven 3) Sip coffee 4) Enjoy hot, "fresh" biscuits. Every now and then there's a product that comes along that makes you go wow... this is one of them.

• 4 weeks later...

Mary B's- oh yeah they're really good. A lot of times we'll have them with mock devonshire cream (Cool Whip, unsalted butter and cream cheese mixed together) and lemon curd for impromptu tea parties instead of scones. Yummy!!

Not too long ago, the food section of the St. Louis paper had 2 recipes to make these!

Edited by teagal (log)

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman

Mary B's- oh yeah they're really good. A lot of times we'll have them with mock devonshire cream (Cool Whip, unsalted butter and cream cheese mixed together) and lemon curd for impromptu tea parties instead of scones. Yummy!!               

Not too long ago, the food section of the St. Louis paper had 2 recipes to make these!

Great and thanks for sharing this recipe. I'm making it this weekend. I'm a big fan of the Pillsbury biscuits so I'm sure I'll love these.

Melissa

I'm wondering about frozen homemade. Anybody ever do this? I'd like to pop my own frozen dough into the oven...

the one with butter.

and white lilly.

(and dog hair)

:shock:

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

I have frozen cream biscuits many times.

3 c. self-rising flour

4 t. sugar

2 c. heavy cream

Stir together. Use an ice cream scoop (mine is size 16) to plob blobs of dough 1" apart on silpat-lined cookie sheet. Freeze up to one month, if desired. Bake frozen biscuits at 375 digrees for 18-20 minutes. (Bake unfrozen for 15-17 minutes.)

This doesn't give you exactly the same texture as rolled biscuits made with firm fat, but they are great in their own way -- very tender.

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

Nice. Just found Mary B's in the freezer section here. Will be giving them a run tomorrow morning with some pork sausage I just picked up at the farmers market. Homemade is nice and all when my Texas grandma makes them... but in the meantime I'll take these.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

I am charged with bringing biscuits to Easter brunch tomorrow which will be right after church. I bought some Mary B's. If I bake them tonite, will they still be good tomorrow morning? I really will have hardly any time to bake them tomorrow.