• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Farmer's Market baking

blackcat

Hi All

I'm thinking of having a stall at the local farmers market this year. I'm currently in the research process. I live in Vermont, so between the rainy spring and the humid summers moisture is an issue. The market runs from later May to early Oct.

I plan on having cookies,muffins, croissants,small cakes, fruit and savory tarts..etc. I also thought I might have some prepackaged items like granola or homemade marshmallows.

Does anyone have advice about having a stall at the farmer's market? I'd like to get info on what works and what doesn't work

Thanks

blackcat

I've sold at farmer's markets for the past five years or so--the bakery stand always does really well.

Get a pop up canopy at costco--they have good cheap ones--I can put mine up by myself it's so easy.

Your list looks good--you'll have to get to know your market and discover what your customers want--but only listen to the ones who are buying--there are always too many who just look and then ask for something you don't have as a way to make conversation.

Having a few things that will keep from week to week is a really good idea--it's horrible to have to give away all of your products after a really slow day.

I love FMs--the customers are generally pretty nice and the other vendors are great--everyone looks out for each other--and we have lots of laughs.

Zoe

I've sold at farmer's markets for the past five years or so--the bakery stand always does really well.

Get a pop up canopy at costco--they have good cheap ones--I can put mine up by myself it's so easy.

Your list looks good--you'll have to get to know your market and discover what your customers want--but only listen to the ones who are buying--there are always too many who just look and then ask for something you don't have as a way to make conversation.

Having a few things that will keep from week to week is a really good idea--it's horrible to have to give away all of your products after a really slow day.

I love FMs--the customers are generally pretty nice and the other vendors are great--everyone looks out for each other--and we have lots of laughs.

Zoe

Zoe

Thanks that's all really helpful information. (especially the costco heads up)

I've been trying to think of products that maybe other "bakery" stalls might not have. I plan on playing around with interesting flavor combinations. I'd love to have a couple of small cute decorated cakes but I feel like depending on the weather frosting is an issue. But as you said it all depends on what the customers want. This is a new Farmer's market for the area.

blackcat

there is another thread here somewhere that discusses some of the legal and health issues regarding prepared food at farmers' markets...you might have to search a bit.

the questions that came up were regarding:

1) the kitchen you're using to prepare the food

2) labeling the food

3) if the market has any restrictions regarding how or where the food was prepared

etc, etc.

if this is a tiny local market, they might not have any regulations in place, but in the united states i highly doubt that is the case. someone is always standing by with a lawsuit in hand.

i don't mean to be a downer but you should look at every aspect before you start baking.

there is another thread here somewhere that discusses some of the legal and health issues regarding prepared food at farmers' markets...you might have to search a bit.

the questions that came up were regarding:

1) the kitchen you're using to prepare the food

2) labeling the food

3) if the market has any restrictions regarding how or where the food was prepared

etc, etc.

if this is a tiny local market, they might not have any regulations in place, but in the united states i highly doubt that is the case.  someone is always standing by with a lawsuit in hand.

i don't mean to be a downer but you should look at every aspect before you start baking.

You aren't being a downer at all. In the past I've worked at a bakery and making desserts at a restaurant and that's why I'm starting my research early in the year. I may not know everything about the regulations but I'm looking into that right now. In fact I've already called the local health department and I'm also going to look into renting time in a commercial kitchen.

thanks

blackcat

• 1 year later...

I've done our little local farmers market three times now and really enjoy it. The comaraderie is great and its fun talking to like minded people.

I sell some bagged herbs and baked goods with herbs--partly because I feel at a farmers market my baked goods need to have some kind of a 'from the garden' feel. Things like rosemary cookies, lavender shortbread, chipolte brownies, etc. I've done OK money wise, but not enuf to keep it up unless I find something that'll go over GREAT.

I am wanting to know what baked goods sell the best--when you shop a farmers market what makes you stop and buy some type of baked good instead of just the good for you fruits and veg? Any ideas?

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman

When push comes to shove I think people want the basics. Chocolate Chip Cookies, Gingersnaps, Black and Whites, Brownies or Cream cheese Brownies, Cupcakes. Carry the other things, but the basics will pay your overhead. Just be sure the quality is excellent, because that is what will bring people back for more.

Good luck!

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

Yeah, Eileen is right on. I live in Farmer'sMarketWonderLand. It's very rural here, and every little borough has their own market. People believe (as they should in most cases) that Farmer's Markets=Quality. Super fresh eggs and produce right off the farm can't be beat! If you're going to have baked goods, no matter what they are, make sure they are GREAT.

One thing I like to do is use the summer fruits that the farmers sell to make the baked goods that go to the market. When the blueberries were at peak, I went into Blueberry Madness.......blueberry muffins, pies, crisps, cobblers, tartlets.......same with the raspberries and the Sequim strawberries....I will shop the previous week's market to prepare items for the next week's market.

I use the herbs that are sold by a farmer to make savory scones, and the sign says "Savory Rosemary Scones made with Tinytown Farm Rosemary". People eat it up. Literally. Or my blueberry pie will say "Plumwilde Farm Blueberry Pie".

It's a Farmer's Market......so be farmy!!! :smile: