• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I just made up that word

Kent Wang

Smunchy, adj. The consistency of homemade peanut butter of uniform consistency as in smooth peanut butter, but not ground fine enough to actually be smooth.

Spluck - Any food of mucky thick consistency which, when thrown against the wall, would make a similar sound.  Tapioca pudding might be the ultimate spluck.

For me, spluck describes the terminal sound of cranberry sauce shivering out of its can on Thanksgiving day.

My sister and I have a word for the slimy food bits that need to be transported from sink trap to garbage at the end of cleanup: clart.

Dollarama has these great little sink strainers for a buck. Never realized before just how much 'clart' I produce in a day (and had previously been going down my drain!)

I'll share one of mine:

Cookblock - not being able to cook due to extreme guilt over the massive amounts of leftovers/gifted food that have been accumulating and need to be eaten.

(I'd put the etymology in, but I don't want to be banned...)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Husband made one up the other day. He saw me gleefully helping myself to forkfuls of pie, dispensing of plates, or slices, just fork to half-pie. He walks in, as I'm artfully dobbing whipped cream on my next bite, raises his eyes, and simply says "forktart?"

Forktart- a whole dessert in one bite. Seperated from its whole, by artful forking.

Could be that one bite of cake you extract from the half-sheet leftover from your kid's b-day. Could be a chunk of pie in the middle of the night, stolen from under the foil. Could be one huge spoonful of trifle, before you pack it away in the fridge.

I didn't make up that word, my little sister Julia did. She's Downs, but very smart. This gem happened because she had severe undetected hearing loss and still can't speak that well.

When no one wants to cook, what do you order in? Shiny Boots, aka Chinese Food. It's in the family lexicon.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

More family lexicon . . . on Wednesday mornings I take the new bridge to Dartmouth, because Wednesday is POMBA playgroup day (Parents Of Multiple Births Association). The ladies at Tim Horton's drive-thru window recognize our order of "two ball cakes" to mean "a pair of sour creme glazed timbits, each in its own bag".

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

• 2 weeks later...

My son just came up with one, after I stole a squirt from the Reddi Whip can behind his back. He whips around and says "what was that?! Ohhh...you have fluffymouth...you stole some whipped cream"

Fluffymouth: A mouth full of stolen whipped cream. It's when your cheeks are puffed, and you have the cat-that-ate-the-canary look on your face, trying not to laugh it all over the floor.

• 3 weeks later...

Last night, while visiting my immediate family, I made pretzels homemade for the first time with my 11 yoa neice and her friend. Well, they tasted pretty good, but they looked like my Cocker Spaniel had relieved himself on the jelly roll pan... they really looked unappetizing. I then coined a new name for them, shitzels.

Tom Gengo

My sister and I have a word for the slimy food bits that need to be transported from sink trap to garbage at the end of cleanup: clart.

Clart or Clort is a Scottish dialect word for muck. More usually found in its adjectival form - "dinnae come in here in those clorty boots !"

Dreich is another Scottish word I love - wet, damp, foggy, grey, miserable. "It's guy dreich" - 'Guy' pronounced like 'guy' as in bloke, but with the 'igh' sound of 'mighty', and meaning 'very'. Maybe Seattle-ites can relate ?

(Sorry, off-topic, and I didn't even make them up).

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

• 9 months later...

Did I kill this thread ? I hope not.

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves

By each let this be heard.

The coward does it with a kiss

The brave man with a sword"

Hmm.

Shockolate: too much vegetable oil, or at the other end of the scale, more cacao solids than sense.

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

"HishMeWhodeewah!!" is the sound that involuntarily escapes your lips when crouched before a camp stove cooking bacon and the grease pops on your unprotected legs...

"Santa-Meshugana!" is a yiddishized (there's another word) of 'Santa-Maria' used as an exclamation of any sort.

;)

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

These are excellent. I will compile these and post. I am going to include just the ones that are a portmanteau, which most of these are-a portmanteau for those not in the know is "word blending the sound of two different words," [from] 1882, coined by Lewis Carroll for the sort of words he invented for "Jabberwocky," on [the] notion of "two meanings packed up into one word."

-Doc

"Everything I eat has been proved by some doctor or other to be a deadly poison, and everything I don't eat has been proved to be indispensable for life. But I go marching on." ~George Bernard Shaw

My link

schmeeze - a combining of the words - it's a mystery if it's cheese - the stuff you get on most american grocery store shelfs. this can also be applied to meat as in 'schmeeat'

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child