• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I just made up that word

Kent Wang

A friend gave me a recipe for a cream cheese cookie-type dessert (that turns out to be famous in areas of Canada). A co-worker dubbed the dessert "smookie". Not quite a cookie, not quite a cheesecake but smooth like one.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Lessee if this fits, I didn't "just make it up" but its a term we use commonly:

Spooge: The muck that gets skimmed off the top of long cooking soups, stock or the shabu shabu pot.

:blink::biggrin:

Spooge: The muck that gets skimmed off the top of long cooking soups, stock or the shabu shabu pot.

:blink:

Oh dear. That means something VERY different and not at all food related around here.

:laugh:

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

• 5 weeks later...

My husband came up with this one Easter morning...he said I made a Muckery of his nice clean sink

dont clean till I cook

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

These aren't mine, but they're part of a list posted on my office wall that brings me joy every time I read it:

Inoculatte: To take coffee intravenously when you are running late

Decafalon: The grueling event of getting through the day consuming only those things that are good for you.

Caterpallor: The color you turn after finding half a worm in the fruit you're eating.

But my vote goes to "gnuchhi"--lovely. :raz:

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

Love these!

I griningly noticed that most of these are questioned by spell-check as I save them.

For me I Baffle, Thwap, and Splodge.

Baffle - To whip.

Thwap - To beat.

Splodge - To drop and smear as best and neatly as one can...for example spreading ricotta for lasagna.

Fludge - Flopped fudge that didn't measure up.... as in...

Spoon Fludge - Runny fudge, best scooped up and eaten with a spoon.

Fludge Crunch - Hard fudge, best crumbled into or over ice cream.

Edited by Susie Q (log)

Let's not forget hamburgling, a crime that I was convicted of in my days as a juvenile mischief maker.

Inoculatte: To take coffee intravenously when you are running late

Decafalon: The grueling event of getting through the day consuming only those things that are good for you.

Caterpallor: The color you turn after finding half a worm in the fruit you're eating.

Excellent.

• 6 months later...
Spluck - Any food of mucky thick consistency which, when thrown against the wall, would make a similar sound.  Tapioca pudding might be the ultimate spluck.

No, Dear. It's a BIIIIG spatula fulla pate'----Trust me. :blink:

PS Framboids: those little bumps on a raspberry.

Edited by racheld (log)

• 1 year later...
Smunchy, adj. The consistency of homemade peanut butter of uniform consistency as in smooth peanut butter, but not ground fine enough to actually be smooth.

Spluck - Any food of mucky thick consistency which, when thrown against the wall, would make a similar sound.  Tapioca pudding might be the ultimate spluck.

For me, spluck describes the terminal sound of cranberry sauce shivering out of its can on Thanksgiving day.

My sister and I have a word for the slimy food bits that need to be transported from sink trap to garbage at the end of cleanup: clart.

Patty

pho belly- the state you reach when you've drunk up too much yummy broth from your noodles, and find it difficult to walk due to sloshing in your stomach. Can also be caused by ramen or kalguksu.