• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I just made up that word

Kent Wang

Salad Waste: The iceberg lettuce and cardboard tomatoes they serve on the side with your burger platter.

Edited to add because I was slow on the uptake:

Liquid Waist: See "beer belly." Also, any ample avoirdupois around the midsection caused by consumption of sugary sodas.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Y' know, I can't take credit for these, but they are Sniglets that have become a regular part of my vernacular for, well, decades (I guess).

Spratchet- the bar-type thingee at the supermarket that separates your groceries on the conveyor belt from the person in front of you.

(I can't count how many times I've asked a complete stranger for the 'spratchet, please', along with a gesture, and have had it handed to me without comment.)

Facon- fake bacon, of course- like bacos.

Toasticles- those little particles of toast that get left on the butter from the knife that is doing the spreading.

Flopcorn- unpopped popcorn kernels.

and, of course, Cheedle- the yellow dust left on your fingers by cheetos.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Please Please can these be saved somewhere like recipegullet?   

Recipegullet is really only for recipes ... but the best way I think we can save them is probably to save them to a file on your own pc, and pull it out when one needs a bit of cheer ... actually, many of the threads here remain intact for eternity in eGullet storage ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

nupcakes: The decorative cupcakes at a wedding shower.

pre-nupcakes: The dainty, georgeously decorated petit'fours served at the higher-end wedding shower.

Caution: do not use this term in the vicinity of the Bridal party, especially the bride, her mother, her sister(s) or bridesmaids.

I checked on Google and I am indeed the first person to use this term:

Cocktailistry: The art that is practiced by a cocktailian. Has a more artistic connotation than the scientific sounding mixology. Ex: Are there any other bartenders in town that even approach him in cocktailistry, that is to say, you know, mixologically-speaking?

Y' know, I can't take credit for these, but they are Sniglets that have become a regular part of my vernacular for, well, decades (I guess).

Spratchet- the bar-type thingee at the supermarket that separates your groceries on the conveyor belt from the person in front of you.

(I can't count how many times I've asked a complete stranger for the 'spratchet, please', along with a gesture, and have had it handed to me without comment.)[...]

I've always called that simply a "divider."

I like the word "flopcorn"! :biggrin:

Michael aka "Pan"

(I can't count how many times I've asked a complete stranger for the 'spratchet, please', along with a gesture, and have had it handed to me without comment.)[...]

I've always called that simply a "divider."

I like the word "flopcorn"! :biggrin:

Oh Pan, don't be such a Normie! :wink:

Yeah- flopcorn and facon are good ones, but I think I use toasticles the most out of all of them. I usually pretend-chide my oldest about leaving toasticles on the butter. One of these days I'm going to have to make sure he understands that's not a real word.

Blenderize probably also belongs on this list, though it's been a pretty common part of public discourse for a while now.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

(I can't count how many times I've asked a complete stranger for the 'spratchet, please', along with a gesture, and have had it handed to me without comment.)

Facon- fake bacon, of course- like bacos.

Toasticles- those little particles of toast that get left on the butter from the knife that is doing the spreading.

Flopcorn- unpopped popcorn kernels.

and, of course, Cheedle- the yellow dust left on your fingers by cheetos.

speaking of Sniglets.... whatever happened to those.

Here is one

Mcmonia = the scent you get when eating at a fast food place and a worker comes by to mop under your table.

"Apple Poolisher" - someone who stays late, after their shift, without pay, at the bakery . . . to make the poolish for the bread . . to get in the boss's good graces. :smile:

My daughter calls that ice cream place named "The Marble Slab" . . ."The Marble Flab". :laugh: As in "Can we go to The Marble Flab, Mom?" (You can guess what my answer invariably is . . :blink: )

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

eau de cuisine - the smell that permeates you and your clothes after you've been cooking. (Can also pertain to restaurants with poor ventilation, e.g. eau de McDonald's)

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Scaped Goat - 1. Goat roasted with garlic scapes. 2. Goat that escaped from the slaughter house.

Which you could serve with:

Spinach au Gritten - Spinach au gratin made with spinach that you forgot to wash while chasing the goat or preparing the scapes.

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

Fetafy

To add feta cheese (Would you like that salad fetted?)

Well, if we're going there, I refer you to a contribution I made in my second foodblog:

Meatloafication: The process of transforming ground bits of cow and pig into a favorite comfort food through the addition of various ingredients and vigorous mixing with one's hands.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

"staleocity" - state of being horribly grossly stale. :angry:

Made up last night for my weekly blog post on Duke City Fix

Andrea

in Albuquerque

http://foodpart.com

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

Estouffeed - The feeling of being stuffed after eating too much etouffee.

Estupideed - An etouffee made badly by someone too stupid to know how to cook it right. The term may be extended to other dishes where the balance of ingredients and texture are just plain stupid.

:smile:

Smunchy, adj. The consistency of homemade peanut butter of uniform consistency as in smooth peanut butter, but not ground fine enough to actually be smooth.

Spluck - Any food of mucky thick consistency which, when thrown against the wall, would make a similar sound. Tapioca pudding might be the ultimate spluck.

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria