• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Painting on Cakes

ksaw29

I would like to know what food coloring is used to paint on cakes. Is it the powder or paste? Also, how is it used? Do I use it straight or will I need to add something to it. It's something I've always wanted to try, but just don't know the right products to get. Thanks in advance.

Airbrush color is the best mixed with alcohol, like if you can get everclear. You can also paint with any of the dusts mixed with alcohol, everclear again or lemon extract which has a high alcohol content. Some people use almond or vanilla extracts. The alcohol evaporates of course.

But I mean you can paint with anything on there, but those are like the best combinations to use that I know of. The airbrush color plus alcohol dries the best for clearer cleaner color. The dust mixtures add a little body and are great for accents or for dramatic colors like gold or silver or stunning lusterous pink, stuff like that.

You're thinking on fondant or on crusting buttercream?

At Squires Kitchen in the UK, they sell a "folk art paint" specifically for painting on cakes - you can see it here: Squires Shop When I've seen it on fondant, it looks clean and almost translucent but I don't think it is any better than any of the other suggestions that Kate mentioned above. I find that the stuff I buy from the UK is really good stuff - the average consumer there can easily buy very high quality cake and sugarcraft supplies just like we go into a craft store to buy materials.

I've never bought this particular stuff myself so I can't say how easy it is to use but if you are tempted to buy anything else from there it might be worth the splurge.

Airbrush color is the best mixed with alcohol, like if you can get everclear. You can also paint with any of the dusts mixed with alcohol, everclear again or lemon extract which has a high alcohol content. Some people use almond or vanilla extracts. The alcohol evaporates of course.

But I mean you can paint with anything on there, but those are like the best combinations to use that I know of. The airbrush color plus alcohol dries the best for clearer cleaner color. The dust mixtures add a little body and are great for accents or for dramatic colors like gold or silver or stunning lusterous pink, stuff like that.

You're thinking on fondant or on crusting buttercream?

I was thinking fondant. I'll look into the colors you mentioned. Thanks a bunch.

At Squires Kitchen in the UK, they sell a "folk art paint" specifically for painting on cakes - you can see it here: Squires Shop When I've seen it on fondant, it looks clean and almost translucent but I don't think it is any better than any of the other suggestions that Kate mentioned above. I find that the stuff I buy from the UK is really good stuff - the average consumer there can easily buy very high quality cake and sugarcraft supplies just like we go into a craft store to buy materials. 

I've never bought this particular stuff myself so I can't say how easy it is to use but if you are tempted to buy anything else from there it might be worth the splurge.

Thanks. I'll look into it. Love the suggestions.