• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Substitute for Chef Mate 5 Quart Pan?

saluki

I saw the Chef mate pot for sale at target this week for 31.99. Unfortunately there were none to be had and they are out of stock online. I have an oval 7 qt LC but don't want to damage it for the no Knead bread.

I saw a 4 qt enamel on cast iron pot by Benjamin and Medwin. Does anyone know anything about this brand? They were priced about the same as Chef mate.

I did buy a small Lodge cast iron to make a half recipe no Knead bread but when I opened it from Amazon I noticed the inside of the lid was spiked? Thats going to be nasty if the bread goes near the lid. Any suggestions?

I am afraid I cannot help re the brand name or spikes, but if you are not sure you want to keep the Lodge pan and do not want to use it, you CAN actually skip the pot part in the No Knead -- if you have a stone to bake it on.

Found this out the hard way when I got all excited about trying it and then could not locate my cast iron pots and could not get into town to try to find another.

MEJ

“Cheese has always been a food that both sophisticated and simple humans love.”

M.F.K. Fisher, How to Cook a Wolf (1942)

I use the Lodge 5 quart all of the time for the full recipe of the no-knead bread. It never rises enough to encounter the spikes on the lid. I have used an oval LC 3 quart without it rising enough to touch the top. Not sure what size you mean when you said "small" Lodge cast iron. I would imagine a 3 quart would still do okay with a full recipe. Can I extrapolate and think that a 1 1/2 quart would still work for 1/2 recipe?

Donna

I use the Lodge 5 quart all of the time for the full recipe of the no-knead bread.  It never rises enough to encounter the spikes on the lid.  I have used an oval LC 3 quart without it rising enough to touch the top.  Not sure what size you mean when you said "small" Lodge cast iron.  I would imagine a 3 quart would still do okay with a full recipe.  Can I extrapolate and think that a 1 1/2 quart would still work for 1/2 recipe?

Thanks! What I meant by small was 2 quarts, so I'll so a half recipe in that figuring it probably won't touch the top.