• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can you freeze maltodexterin soils/powders?

Sethro

One of the line cooks accidentally puts the tarragon soil in the lowboy...every night...which doesn't seem to screw with it at all. I expected it to collect some moisture and clump up, but it's fine. I actually kind of like it cold.

Has any one tried freezing, either for storage or just to have a frozen soil?

• 4 months later...

it shouldnt the maltodexterin should keep it dry, they put in commercial food products for that purpose, we were experementin with some and found @ diferring volumes it would change the texture, some similar to candy bar interiors. that were dryish and crunchy. go look at commercial food product ingredients. youd be amazed.

how bout the recipie for the 'soil'? just fresh taragon and maltodex in a robo and the sift? thats my guess???