• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bread

I'm 90% crust and 10% bread person. I just love crusty bread. The heels are worth fighting over, esp. fresh from the oven. Gimme heels everytime.

Tis why I am all over the epi as a shape of bread. The crust to crumb ratio is VERY high.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

You guys, seriously, you're killing me with all of these decisions on eGullet, flats or drums, cake or pie, crust or center... I will just eat whatever you leave me. Knock really loudly, and give me some time to get to the door, though, mmkay?

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Oh, when I bake bread, that heel comes right off the loaf and into my mouth - it never sees the bread basket. And I sometimes find myself reaching across the table to eat the girls' crust after they gnaw all the innards off the crusts. My loaves are always rather "sturdy", but the dogs rarely get a scrap of crust from me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

I suppose it depends on the bread, but I generally prefer the crust.

I'll throw another question out there...when eating crusty breads, do you prefer the bottom part of the crust or the top part? (Kind of like the muffin top-muffin bottom debate on Seinfeld)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I love the bottom part, especially if it's a little dark, and crispy crunchy with cornmeal. There's a Polish bakery that make The Greatest Rye Bread In the Entire Universe, not too far from me, and I eat my way through a loaf of it, piece by piece, bottom of the crust first. As soon as I saw "bottom of the crust" I imagined this food of the gods.

Despite the snow and freezing rain, I might have to trek out to Perth Amboy tomorrow. Damn you eGullet for giving me cravings.