• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bread

after (finally) being able to read the (full) soup and bread thread on my day off i was able to make some Portugese Sweet Bread. johnnybird and i each had a slice of the first loaf out of the oven. i took the heel - a bit of wonderful crispy crust and a bit of sweet structure. john cut a piece then cut off the sides and bottom. he only likes the "hearts" - no crust. i didn't kill him - though it was close. i grabbed the good stuff and snarffed it down.

does anyone have this divide?

course i'm a red sox fan and john is a yankee follower so we are used to controversy in our house...

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Oh, it's all about the crust, and I considered it a landmark parent moment with the kids learned to love crust, which makes an epi the main focus. In fact, dinner last night, with grilled sandwiches made me realize that even a loaf of supermarket bread can be "saved" by grilling it and upping the crustiness factor.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Crust crust crust crust Crust crust crust crust Crust crust crust crust

But for Valentine's here's the ultimate Crust story.

I think I told it here before but...it's worth repeating.

So he was making toast. They needed a little snack after their big 50th wedding anniversary party. She made some tea. They were tired and quiet and needed the respite. It had been a lovely lovely party.

She placed his cup. He handed her a buttered slice. She said in that moment of candor and lucidity that can strike on a tiring day, "For 50 years you have been giving me the heel, and I am tired of it. Am I not good enough for a nice slice of toast after all this time?"

He said, "But the end is my favorite piece."

Edited by K8memphis (log)

I likes 'em both. :wub: Can't enjoy one w/o the other...

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

So he was making toast. They needed a little snack after their big 50th wedding anniversary party. She made some tea. They were tired and quiet and needed the respite. It had been a lovely lovely party.

She placed his cup. He handed her a buttered slice. She said in that moment of candor and lucidity that can strike on a tiring day, "For 50 years you have been giving me the heel, and I am tired of it. Am I not good enough for a nice slice of toast after all this time?"

He said, "But the end is my favorite piece."

It's like an O. Henry story.

Edited to add the comparative--I simply assumed it was a true story, and found it touching.

Edited by Margo (log)

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

Crust for sure!

In fact, I have mastered the art of the "rolling crust cut" That removes the crust from a rustic "batard" loaf (from which the ends have been cut) leaving the crumb in a sort of log shape, which I slice and allow to dry a bit to make crumbs or croutons.

Buttered on the crumb side, this crust can be placed on an oven rack to heat so that the butter melts into the crust.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Obnoxiously crusty bread does not appeal to me -- you know, the kind where you have to check your dental work afterwords to make sure you didn't lose a mouth full of fillings?

I prefer a nice balance between the crust and the crumb. Each lends a unique profile to the experience of eating it.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

Crust, crust , crust....oh, how I love it. The heels of loaves are my absolute favorite. Mind you, I love bread adn the entire loaf will disappear. But, the crustiest parts go first.

I love the work-out good , crusty bread gives my jaws.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

I like bpth, but prefer the crust....conveniently the fiance lieks the inside more.

Often times I sneak the crust off of his plate of leftovers, and he takes my interior!

Perfect match...that we are it appears!

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

Depends on the type of bread.

But in general, I think it's a crying shame that a person can't just buy a bag of crusts from a bakery.

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

I'm 90% crust and 10% bread person. I just love crusty bread. The heels are worth fighting over, esp. fresh from the oven. Gimme heels everytime.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I definitely like the inside more, though when something is

freshly baked and hot out of the oven I can see the appeal

of crust.

I am more an "unleavened" or "flat" bread person, so

I prefer bread that does not have crust vs. crumb - it's all one...

Milagai

I thought it went without saying that, if you're eating the crust, you're also eating the soft innards. It's pretty difficult to eat just the crust, & if you did manage to separate it precisely, what would be left to absorb the EVOO? :raz:

Conversely, it's simple to remove the crust & be left with nothing but soft innards if that's your preference.

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

• 2 weeks later...

two new loaves of portugese sweet bread out of the oven and i have dispatched 3 out of 4 heels - 1 with apricot preserves, 1 with strawberry and 1 with miracle whip, finlandia heavenly swiss and black forest ham

just showed this thread to john and he said "i don't like burned ends" i tried to explain to him that browned and crusty isn't burned. course he thinks anything that is any shade darker than mocha is "burned". as the bread ages over the next few days i noticed that himself will not cut off the crusts as long as they are softer. course this is the same guy that hates "burned meat" on the grill(meaning anything with color) though he bought the freakin' gas grill rather than replacing my hardwood charcoal one...

love him dearly but there may be a homicide in new jersey

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites