• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone here trying out for Top Chef: Season 3?

Elrushbo

I am toying with the idea of going to open call in vegas, but am not sure I want to be on TV if they chose to cast me. After season one, I would have but after this last season I dont know. Although I did just watch somebody win 100K cooking dishes off of the menu from the restaurant he is a cook at, makes me think......

Edit* ps where is th eother topic?

Edited by ChefJB (log)

My understanding is that they are now only looking for people with some meaningful cooking experience (i.e. experienced home cooks or others with very little pro experience need not apply). It would be SO COOL is some eGulleteers took a run at this!! There are certainly some folks here with plenty of capabilities. Come on folks! We'd certainly be here to cheer you on.

Who's willing??????????

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

My understanding is that they are now only looking for people with some meaningful cooking experience (i.e. experienced home cooks or others with very little pro experience need not apply).  It would be SO COOL is some eGulleteers took a run at this!!  There are certainly some folks here with plenty of capabilities.  Come on folks!  We'd certainly be here to cheer you on.

Who's willing??????????

I think a culinary STUDENT would be awesome.............. :wink:

I'm thinking about it. I'd say they're looking for somebody more photogenic but then I think of Mikey and Betty....

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

I've thought of it. I never want to be "that guy" so I'm not sure. My personality with a little spin could probably look pretty "Marcel" (who I thought was great by the way). So i'm not sure really.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

I'd like to see my son, Chef-boy, try it but he needs to stay put career wise right now. I would probably have a heart attack from suspense though. I can hardly make it through some of those challenge-y type shows. Too many dramatic pauses. Way too many. If my kid was on there I'd totally die a thousand deaths moment by moment.

I think Reefpimp should do it. His personality alone will far outshine the competition.

Awwww!! ::blushing::

Yeah, I'll win TC3, Padma will leave Salman and run off with me, and Tom will offer me a parnership. :cool::cool::cool:

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

I started to watch the second season of TC, but then decided not to.

I think it's because I'm uncomfortable with the kind of editing this show does. If the producers decide to make YOU the villain, how will it affect your future?

I strongly suspected that although the contestants probably appeared as pretty much who they are, I think there was quite a bit of evidence that through creative editing, certain personality traits were portrayed as more prominent than they really are... especially negative traits.

Caveat emptor.

Achieving fame these days is just too easy. All you have to know is exactly what people are looking for. Top Chef can guarantee you fifteen minutes but at what price? You can go in with focus and a game plan, swearing off the drama, and still wind up looking like an ass (Marcel anyone?).

The way I see it, you can put five years of hard work in a kitchen, build a solid repertoire and resume and live with some dignity. If it's really about the food and you take it seriously, chances are you'll move up in the culinary world. Or...

You can be sequestered for weeks with strangers who are out to get you, have you life spun by hack producers, have your life, words and appearance dissected by people you've never met and possibly damage your own chances of moving up in the culinary world.

I know plenty of people who went into cooking for the sole purpose of press, fame and recognition. Food is just a medium; if it wasn't food it would be any other industry. They'd be perfect for the show because they revel in said dissection - any kind of attention is good. Mom and Dad didn't pay much attention to them, I suppose.

For those who take their work seriously, going on this show is a huge risk just for taxable prize money and a forgettable article in food and wine.

I started to watch the second season of TC, but then decided not to. 

I think it's because I'm uncomfortable with the kind of editing this show does.  If the producers decide to make YOU the villain, how will it affect your future?

I strongly suspected that although the contestants probably appeared as pretty much who they are, I think there was quite a bit of evidence that through creative editing, certain personality traits were portrayed as more prominent than they really are... especially negative traits.

Caveat emptor.

Eww, that's true enough. But maybe since that's kind of common knowlege now too it might be a huge factor...but man that's an interesting facet of all this. But some places need/want those types of personalities and pair them with a second in command with opposing people skills to hopefully make a balance. Or if you already have someone with good people skills you can add in the more forceful personality. Either way. But of course some people don't use any of that mumbo jumbo to do their hiring.

Not to mention, it would behove *(howdoyouspell behoof behoove beholf) anyone to take a deep dark long look inside & see if they didn't want to make a few personality adjustments after watching themselves on tv. Of cousrse they can factor in all the stuff we didn't see too.

Ultimately, I don't think it would be permanently damaging. You could so tap dance around it in an interview.

edited to say: ding ding ding ding we have a winner--it's behoove

Edited by K8memphis (log)

Does anyone here really know what they are looking for: are they looking for industry types only or would a home taught inspired but at home cooking chef with an interesting background be let on?

I thought about a weekend in Vegas and a stop off in Henderson to see but would clearly not waste my time if they are really looking for only a professional chef who has yet to achieve notice.

Unlike others, I am personally inspired by at least the concept that a national TV show is about cooking and is the basis of much watercooler talk. I have even used the challenges as inspiration in coming up with dishes such as vending machine peanut soup with slim-jim creme.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my co workers with almost identical experience as me tried and she was told that she had too much experience. Take it for what it is worth, but it seems to me that they will end up with a bunch of 20-30 year olds and maybe one token older person again. But who knows, I wonder if there has been any comment from Andy about his menu winning top chef?

Is it only open to Americans, or can anyone enter? (I'm Canadian)

I've got experience in top level restaurants (I was made Chef de Partie in a top fine dining restaurant when I was only 19, in a French kitchen no less...), I'm still quite young (22), and I've got great hotline and pastry skills (currently working as a pastry chef). Also knowledgeable when it comes to molecular gastronomy, as well as several different traditional cooking styles.

Whats the prize anyway?

My understanding is that they are now only looking for people with some meaningful cooking experience (i.e. experienced home cooks or others with very little pro experience need not apply).  It would be SO COOL is some eGulleteers took a run at this!!  There are certainly some folks here with plenty of capabilities.  Come on folks!  We'd certainly be here to cheer you on.

If you look back at Season 1, I don't think that's true at all. They had a couple of people like Candace, who was still a student at culinary school, and other contestants who never had a shot of winning. Before Season 1, this show didn't have any credibility so it seemed at times that they were scrapping the barrel. But, with the success of season 1, they were able to get a higher caliber of contestants. Yet, even with more qualified applicants, the show still picked up chefs like Mikey. From what I've read, the producers thought Mikey was hilarious, and chose him on that basis. Only afterwards, did they ask about his cooking background.

What the producers are really looking for are archtypes and entertaining characters. The producers know that they can fill the show with a number of chefs who don't legitmately have a chance but still retain its legitimacy by choosing a couple of contestants with some real skills. If you wanted to, I think you could get on the show despite limited culinary background if you were willing to play up the home cook angle. From a story point of view, that storyline of home cook vs. professional chefs would be a winner- the nonchefs at home would root for one of their own, there would be a certain amount of drama seeing a non-professional try to compete, etc..

But, if you did go, be prepared if you go onto the show, where they'll edit your characater into a one dimensional portrait. Even if a chef doesn't win, the exposure would certainly help you as long as you didn't come off too badly. It would certainly open up oppurtunities and doors.