• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Sushi Restaurants in NJ

Poots

Well, I tried a search and didn't find much in the way of lists of sushi restaurants. I've been going to the same Sushi restaurant for quite a while, Kyoto in Florham Park. I love it, but just have the curiosity to find other restaurants. Good Miso soup, good salad with ginger dressing, and some creative and tasty large rolls. My two favorite items there are the Shogun roll, eel and avocado inside, with almost nigiri sized slices of tuna and salmon on outside and the Godzill roll, tuna salmon yellowtail on the inside, lightly tempura'd(sp?), and then topped by tobiko and chef's special sauce(no idea what it is). Didn't want to make a review here, but just to give people an idea of what i like. I also like nigiri, Tuna, yellowtail, sweet shrimp, being some of my faves. What are some of the best sushi restaurants in the mid - north of NJ? Doesn't matter about dive or fancy, just good sushi. thanks in advance

Yield to Temptation, It may never come your way again.

--Lazarus Long

my chef craig shelton of the ryland inn sais that one of the best 5 sushi restaurants in the united states is in NJ. Its his favorite place to eat. There is one problem i forgot the nam eof it. But i have it written down in a book and he also mentions it in the book a chefs night out. As soon as i find it i will post it for ya.

I have to say in Morris Co the best is Nikko in Whippany. Not the most imaginantive but consistantly fresh. Now that you've put tthe thought in my head I think I'll be heading there this evening.

Lou :wink:

Nikko?  Is that on Route 10?  Close to the exit off 287? thanks

Yes

On Route 10, about a mile east of the I-287 exit, on the eastbound side. Just past Jefferson Road and the MetroWest Jewish center.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I forgot about Nagano and I live in the area, shame on me. Another good choice although I haven't been in about 2 years but their reputation in the area is strong. I hate parking in Mo-Town

The sake-police are in full force here also :wink:

I read the other thread and got some good information. I had searched for Sushi, not Japanese, so that's why it didn't come up. I will definitely try Nagano, possibly tomorrow at lunch. I also will plan a trip to Nikko in the future. I've tried Sono multiple times, but that was a couple of years ago, and they fell out of my favor(don't really know why, just liked Kyoto better). Tomo in South Orange is now closed, but has a sign saying that a new Japanese restaurant will be opening in its place. I've heard that a new sushi restaurant is opening in Summit, Monster Sushi. I've been to one of their restaurants in NYC, and enjoyed it. I had a 2 person meal for around $50 that i split between myself and 2 others, and it was still Very filling, although that was 2 or 3 yrs ago. I'm eager to try them out when they open. Thanks for all responses, but open to more.

--Lazarus Long

RockADS21: I almost always go to Kyoto at lunch, so haven't really thought about drinks. However, I'm pretty sure that they do Not have a liquor license. An aside, noticing your avatar, are you a SHU student? Just asking b/c i live in SO.

--Lazarus Long

my chef craig shelton of the ryland inn sais that one of the best 5 sushi restaurants in the united states is in NJ. Its his favorite place to eat. There is one problem i forgot the nam eof it. But i have it written down in a book and he also mentions it in the book a chefs night out. As soon as i find it i will post it for ya.

Craig likes Shumi is Somerville.

The Critical Diner

"If posts to eGullet became the yardstick of productivity, Tommy would be the ruler of the free world." -- Fat Guy

Poots - Actually I am an alumni of SHU. Graduated from the business school in 1994. Florham Park is relatively close to my office so perhaps we will be ordering a spicy tuna roll at the same time during lunch at some point because I do plan to visit Kyoto soon. :smile:

A.D.S.

We have two or three dedicated sushi eaters in my office, and Florham Park is within reach.

Maybe October on a Thursday for lunch? sounds fine to me

I'll call / stop by Kyoto and get a menu and post same

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Yes, I like Shumi and the fish is very fresh. 30 S. Doughty Avenue, Somerville, 908-526-8596. This BYOB restaurant has shelves filled with saki bottles each with the owner's picture and name on them along with shoe holders filled with personal chop sticks. You need to walk thru an apt. house to get to the restaurant.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Correct on no liquor license, it's BYO. Here's the table menu. Only one person sitting at the sushi counter during lunch, I consider that a not-good omen.

Nigiri sushi

Tuna $2

Fatty tuna (toro) $2.95

Yellowtail 2.50

Salmon 2

Eel (unagi) 2.50

White fish 2.50

Smoked salmon 2.50

Salmon roe (ikura) 2.95

Shrimp 2

Surf clam (hokki) 2.25

Ama ebi 2.95

Squid (ika) 2.25

Fylingfish roe (tokibo) 2.25

octopus (tako) 2.25

Crab stick 2

Sea urchin (uni) 2.95

Spanish mackerel 2.25

mackerel 2

Scallop 2.50

Egg (tamago)

Also had rolls, such as:

shrimp/cucumber tuna salmon yellowtail $12

spicy tuna, shrimp tempura flying fish outside 10

yellowtail avocado outside, spicy salmon/cuke inside 10

perhaps 8-10 more rolls

I had the lunch box special, five good sized shrimp in a sweet garlic suce, three small tofu cubes, six small california rolls for $9.95. Good, interesting tastes, shrimp were very moist inside

rancho gordo

I'd be happy to meet up for a lunch as well.

Rail Paul: Perhaps it was just an off day. When i was there on Monday, there wasn't a seat available at the sushi bar, and i got the last table in the sushi bar area. Asides from some inventive rolls on the menu, there are weekly(possibly every other week) specials on a board at the sushi bar. The names of these rolls often reflect what's in the news or movies at the time. There've been the Aol roll, and currently they have the Goldmember roll. Just a little amusing. Currently a roll i had on Monday was the Champagne roll somewhat like the Godzilla, except with different colored fish eggs on top. It was an extremely intersting presentation, with jet black, green, red, and orange fish eggs on top.

--Lazarus Long

I believe nikko has a sister rest in West Caldwell on bloomfield ave. Rolls are creative but regular food was just ok.

Midori in Denville shopping center on rt 10 about 10 miles west of Nikko has really good food, always consistant and fresh.

I believe nikko has a sister rest in West Caldwell on bloomfield ave.  Rolls are creative but regular food was just ok. .

Chefb -

Would that be Nori in Caldwell, which is almost opposite Bangkok Kitchen (and is a treat on its own, too)? Thanks.

Poots -

thanks for commenting on the specials board. I did notice it, but didn't add the several items to the list they gave me. I should have done that. The fish looked exceptionally fresh and the scallops were huge, prob 5 inches across

rancho gordo

Rail Paul: Did you have the scallops, or did you just see them? I noticed them on the specials board, I think 6.95, with a bold LIVE. Are they really straight out of a tank or what? I should probably try them next time, except i've never had scallop nigiri or sashimi.

--Lazarus Long