• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Sushi Restaurants in NJ

Poots

Let try Oct 17 at 12:30. Is there a semi-private room?

Members:

Poots, Rock, Rail, Lou and whomever else. Of course everyone's invited. Let's try to found out if there is a room we can use and whether we can do a simple tasting menu.

Also being it's at lunch, how much time can everyone afford? I'm off that day and will enjoy getting saki-ed up.

Once we get a menu I'll bring some wine & saki, enough for everyone to get a taste. After all, some of you have to go back to work :rolleyes:

I also expect one tough customer there. We'll have a few.

Lou

Kyoto is in Florham Park, on Columbia Tpke, in the strip mall opposite Treasure Island, the one with the McDonalds in the parking lot. Pull in the parking lot and the restaurant is near the elbow joint of the strip.

Do they still do hibachi there?

BTW - I'm in and I may be bringing a guest.

Rosie -

yes, women are most certainly invited. As RPerlow noted, the joint under consideration is Kyoto in the Loehmann's strip mall on Columbia Tnrpike in Florham park. It's adjacent to "973" and behind the McD.

Lreda -

this sounds fine. I'll ask our sushi eaters, but the date sounds fine for me. I'll stop down this week and meet with the manager and see what they can do, arrangements wise. Poots noted the place sometimes jams up at the susi bar, so I'll see what they can do and post the answers.

Poots -

I did see the scallops (2), they were shucked and on what might have been a chilled tray.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Nikko was give 3 stars today by Cody Kendell. A couple of points:

1. This sucks, it was bad enough that with my to go orders I had to wait up to 45 minutes, now it's going to be longer. I a;lways had it timed that when I finished in the kitchen I could call my order in, stop at the bar for a quick 3 and drive the 8 minutes to get my order. Now this will trow off my timing.

2. Her favorite thiing was the Spider roll. I really don't like soft shell crabs but here for some reason they somehow maintain a plump crab in tempura batter all year round. Obviously in the winter these are frozen but I can't tell the difference.

3. Rail, I know Nikko has a private room and we can work something out with them. I figure without asking this room could hold 12. Thse are also 2 dining rooms that could hold more. Would this be an inconvience to those that work near Florham Park? It will put 10 extra minute to your ride.

Are we going to pre-order this thing, or is everyong just going to get their own thing? My guest doesn't eat sushi.

I don't care about which place we're going to, either is fine with me. Have any of you ever been to Tokyo East? That's the place in East Hanover in front of the bowling alley. It's pretty good too. And, no, you aren't actually in the bowling alley.

I was thinking perhaps we could set up at tasting menu with some non-sushi items also.

Perhaps we should get a list of who's interested on the 17th, which place they'd rather try. It doesn't matter to me which place as long as I don't have to wait more than 45 minutes for my food. :biggrin:

Lou

O.K. Here goes, Oct 17th, time undetermined, place: Nikko or Kyoto.

Over the next few days I'll come up with a tasting menu close to today's review. Rail, take a look at it and being I believe you've eaten in both places, pick one. Look foward to this. I'll just be coming back from vacation and into a 12 day straight work week. ( The price we pay for little pleasures, House on the beach in LBI with a great kitchen, stories and menus to follow)

Guests so far

Poots

Lreda

Rail

Rachel & Guest

Rock

Rosie

Nikko's fine with me, although I haven't eaten there in a few months. I'd say it was prob a shade or two better than Kyoto, but I don't have a lot of experience eating sushi (pun intended).

Rail + 1, maybe 2

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I literally became dizzy reading through all of this after being away since Friday! I believe that we currently stand at deciding between Kyoto and Nikko as well as whether we should pre-order. I will vote for Kyoto for the simple reason that I have never been there and conversely have probably visited Nikko 10 times this year alone. I would also think that given this is lunch and time may be an issue to some, that pre-ordering(tasting) would be best.

A.D.S.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I've been away for a while but as some of you know, I am a sushi-holic. I agree with Nikko being #1 and also like Ajian and Shumi. One that did not appear on a list that I could find, was Yuki Hana on Main St. in Madison (in the Staples shopping center). And today, I stopped at a "grand opening" Japanese restaurant, Zen Japanese, in the Pathmark shopping center on Eisenhower Pkwy (at Rt. 10) in Livingston. I was impressed with it but one visit is not enough.

A few I don't care for---Fumio (Livingston), Wasabi (Berkeley Hts), Fuji (Berkeley Hts)

Bea

Bea---NJ

Just found this thread, didn't realize it had turned into an e-gullet get-together. Maybe it needs to be retitled? Anyway, I'm in for the 17th, I don't care where we go, I would prefer a set menu...I think I answered everything. Also, when we dicide on aplace, the precise address would be helpful for those of us coming a distance...I like to use mapquest.

One that did not appear on a list that I could find, was Yuki Hana on Main St. in Madison (in the Staples shopping center). And today, I stopped at a "grand opening" Japanese restaurant, Zen Japanese, in the Pathmark shopping center on Eisenhower Pkwy (at Rt. 10) in Livingston. I was impressed with it but one visit is not enough.

Bea

Hi Bea -

Thanks for mentioning Yuki Hana. Two of my sushi friends mentioned it is "far superior" to Kyoto. I haven't been to Yuki, and they may have had their judgement clouded by sake, but it's definitely on my list, too...

Paul

rancho gordo

I was wondering about a few places mentioned in these threads that I havent yet been to as to whether they are BYO. One should always know in advance whether he should be carrying his sake around! Thanks.

-Ajian, Watchung

-Sono, Millburn

-Nagano, Morristown

-Midori, Morris Plains

:blink:

A.D.S.