• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Henri Billot Grand Cru Rose

jscarbor

I was lucky, atleast I think I was lucky, to find Central Market in Houston carrying 2 bottles of this the other day so I pounced on them. They were $53 each which was surprisingly only $4 less than what I paid at a restaurant recently! Yikes!

Anyway, its my anniversary and I wanted to cook something that really worked with the Champagne? Any suggestions? I was thinking shrimp in a thai curry sauce? Maybe some fresh cut/fried potatoes with parmesean?

Any thoughts from the crowd? It can be first course or a main?

Champagne is quite versatile and goes with logs of things. Certainly the potatoes will work well, the shrimp might work fine if the spice level is lower. Champagne can work with a main course. Will you be doing 1 bottle or 2? If you are also doing a red wine, then you should do the rose first.

--- Lee

Seattle

$53 did seem high but I can't find it anywhere?

With the kids running around while dining on our anniversary we had sauteed shrimp with a beurre blanc sauce atop parmesean shortbreads. The wine went well with these, it especially cut the butter. Also cooked a black sesame seared tuna with a ginger soy sauce and avacado concoction. Very good but not the best match for the wine.

I dunno, but I'd probably stay away from it, but it seems you're committed to something curry-ish, if not coconut milk based. I poach in a rich court bouillon, and I garnish with chopped coriander.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I dunno, but I'd probably stay away from it, but it seems you're committed to something curry-ish, if not coconut milk based.  I poach in a rich court bouillon, and I garnish with chopped coriander.

Didnt do a curry afterall.

The carrot ginger puree, just carrot and ginger? Do you cook the carrot down then puree?