• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

65 C/149 F degree Egg

Chimico

Hi

recently I tried to cook an egg, in a water bath for 1 hour, at 65 C/149 F degree, which is the temperature where the yolk just starts to coagulate and in the albumen only one protein, of the many contained, has already coagulated.

Here is the result

gallery_51154_4133_69773.jpg

Since I am not sure how accurate my kitchen thermometer was, and one degree more or less can make the difference, if you ever had an egg cooked this way maybe you can tell me if it really looks like it was supposed to be... :rolleyes:

I was not able to find a good picture to compare with (even at Herve This or Pierre Gagnaire websites)

ciao /Chem

I have done this two times in my water bath. My results were very much similar to yours. I actualy love the creamy texture of the yolk and would not try to get it any runnier. I have read that to get best results with the whites, your eggs need to be absolutely fresh (like 1 day fresh).

Good luck!

hi cook it at 60c for 1 hour and then leave in water at 50c for as long as you eant. yours looks overcooked. the white should look translucent and the yolk totally runny but all warm through.

:unsure: But at 60 C the white should not coagulate yet :unsure:.

and at 65 C the yolk should not be totally runny :unsure:

remember to season it after as a lot of chefs forget. simon

I ate it with a bit of salt and black pepper :wink:

/Chem

Most perfect eggs - 90 minutes at 146-7 degrees (F) (63C). Whites are set and silky yolks are runny. Blue Hill recipe. They will hold indefinitely at about 80-90 degrees.

Make sure eggs are at room temp when starting and use extra large eggs.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I've got pictures of slow-cooked eggs all over the sous vide and Z Kitchen (Southeast) threads. I prefer 62C for at least an hour but certainly not more than two. I don't buy the whole, "they hold indefinitely" thing. Although this makes sense in theory, reality is very different.

Ideally you'll get a totally runny but lightly thickened yolk and a white that holds in a clean orb-like shape.

I do a constant temp egg most mornings on the weekend. A quick saute of some meat and veggies and right now a couple of fresh white oregon truffle slicers from www.trufflezone.com.

From your picture, i would say your temp was more closer to 63-64. At 65 I tend to get a harder look to the yolk than your picture shows.

I agree that 62 one to two hours is best and then hold at 50-55 for as long as you want. This gives me the perfect combination of texture in the whites and yolk. I find at 62 for more than two hours the yolk starts to harden slightly over time.

My apologies if this has been discussed before, but has anyone had success making hollandaise in a water bath?

Hi, I use my water bath (PID stovetop) to make my hot egg emulsion sauces all the time. I take a large pot that I bring at 55C. I put a "cul-de-poule" on it were the bottom sits in the thermostated water. The sabayon is ready very quickly and the sauce holds well at that temp.

63.8 C

Size of egg is irrelevant, pullet, large, extra large.

Use Large eggs however.

PICTURE DEMO......

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=8611&st=420

Thanks! That was interesting (But I sincerely doubt that 63.8 would be much different than, say, 64 or 63.6)

Unfortunately I do not have access to a temperature controlled wather bath like the in the pictures you linked, and I managed to do it with a simple thermomether, and a big big pot of water, with a small small :raz: heat

ciao /Chem

Edited by Chimico (log)