• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch in Kansas City

Allen

I like Delaware Market Cafe when I'm there. And while the food isn't always the greatest, I love The Courthouse Exchange in Independence for nostalgic reasons.

All that said, I haven't lived in KC for 30+ years and don't get back there as often as I'd like, so am not as up-to-date as the city. :wink:

Edited by Maison Rustique (log)

Deb

Liberty, MO

When in KC I usually try to stop at the sandwich counter at Dean & Deluca's. I would like suggestions of local restaurants that offer unique soups, salads and sandwiches.

Since you mention D&D, I imagine you are in the southern part of the KC area? If you could advise us on how mobile you are (willing to X minutes or preferring to stay south?) we can tailor our suggestions and not innundate you with info that's of no use to you.

I will start with one that's close to D&D, though, and that's Spin! Pizza which (as you may have gathered from the name :rolleyes:) features Neopolitan-style pizzas but also has house-made soups and salads.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

A newer location and a bit up north is The Briarcliff Cafe and there's also Starker's Reserve in the Plaza that just recently started doing a lunch menu. 40 Sardines is just down the street from D&D, might be a good chance to sample their mennu on a lower budget and it seems to have a few similarities to their dinner menu.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

When in KC I usually try to stop at the sandwich counter at Dean & Deluca's. I would like suggestions of local restaurants that offer unique soups, salads and sandwiches.

Since you mention D&D, I imagine you are in the southern part of the KC area? If you could advise us on how mobile you are (willing to X minutes or preferring to stay south?) we can tailor our suggestions and not innundate you with info that's of no use to you.

I will start with one that's close to D&D, though, and that's Spin! Pizza which (as you may have gathered from the name :rolleyes:) features Neopolitan-style pizzas but also has house-made soups and salads.

Anywhere in the Kansas City would be fine. I’m most interested in casual dining independents that offer unique high quality sandwiches. Handmade bread would usually be a requirement. I’m less interested in lunch menus of upscale restaurants, however an outstanding menu item would be considered.

Best location for a Panini?

A couple of thoughts:

In Brookside, Bella Napoli has good Italian sandwiches. They have a restaurant next door (Cucina di Mama) but as you're clearly after a sandwich, just go to the deli counter and order either one of their existing combos or have them make exactly what you want from their imported charcuterie and cheeses.

At the other end of the spectrum, but a long-standing local tradition, go to La Sala (east of the City Market, on 5th. Rich Boys, Poor Boys and everything in between, and the lunch crowd is as eclectic as they come.

In the City Market, Al Habashi/Habashi House has great felafels and gyros and several of the Asian stores and restaurants around there have sandwiches.

One last thought, Mario's Deli in Westport has meatball grinders that are practically an institution.

Mind you, none of these are anything like D&D, rather local boites.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Hello and Welcome to Heyjb. What is on that sandwich and where is Jaspers so that i will know the next time I am up to KC. I am always looking for new experiences when I go up that way.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I'll second Room 39. I'd also like mention, since you asked particularly about paninis, that 1924 Main always has a burger and sandwich (often a panini - though sometime open-faced) for lunch ($10 for 2 courses).

heyjb: please elaborate on the "Marco Polo."

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I'll second Room 39.  I'd also like mention, since you asked particularly about paninis, that 1924 Main always has a burger and sandwich (often a panini - though sometime open-faced) for lunch ($10 for 2 courses).

heyjb: please elaborate on the "Marco Polo."

Jasper's lunch counter is called Marco Polo's Italian Market, and the have a deli counter with olives, pasta salads, antipasta, etc., as well as pizza by the slice. In the summer people line up outdoors for the unspectacular but affordable grilled Italian sausage sandwich, just $2.95.

The Fat Marco Polo is a 1/3 loaf of Farm to Market Italian bread, spread with garlic butter and parsley, holding generous amounts of Mortadella, Cappocollo, and Genoa salami, with a black olive spread, white onions, and provolone(?) in the middle. The sandwich is heated in the pizza oven so the bread has a nice crunchy exterior. Like alot of great sandwiches, the bread here is the star. If the same ingredients were on a hogie roll it wouldn't be the same. Cost $5.95.

They open at 10:00 AM Mon.-Sat.

Hello and Welcome to Heyjb.  What is on that sandwich and where is Jaspers so that i will know the next time I am up to KC.  I am always looking for new experiences when I go up that way.

Jasper's is on the southeast corner of 103rd and State Line Road (Missouri side), roughly I-435 and State Line.

The Fat Marco Polo is a 1/3 loaf of Farm to Market Italian bread, spread with garlic butter and parsley, holding generous amounts of Mortadella, Cappocollo, and Genoa salami, with a black olive spread, white onions, and provolone(?) in the middle. The sandwich is heated in the pizza oven so the bread has a nice crunchy exterior. Like alot of great sandwiches, the bread here is the star. If the same ingredients were on a hogie roll it wouldn't be the same. Cost $5.95.

Sounds like a hot Muffalata. Thanks for the report!

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Hello and Welcome to Heyjb.  What is on that sandwich and where is Jaspers so that i will know the next time I am up to KC.  I am always looking for new experiences when I go up that way.

Jasper's is on the southeast corner of 103rd and State Line Road (Missouri side), roughly I-435 and State Line.

I know where that is and will definitely put this place on my itinerary for my next trip up, which will be soon. I need a break from this place.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have the good fortune to be in KC tomorrow with a few hours free around noon. I'll land at MCI around 10:30 am and then I'm free until around 4 pm when I have to check in for a conference at UMKC.

Any recs? (Not looking for BBQ, but otherwise open to suggestions!)

I have the good fortune to be in KC tomorrow with a few hours free around noon.  I'll land at MCI around 10:30 am and then I'm free until around 4 pm when I have to check in for a conference at UMKC.

Any recs?  (Not looking for BBQ, but otherwise open to suggestions!)

Blanc Burgers and Bottles in Westport is very good. It's at 419 Westport Rd, just west of Broadway.

816-931-6200

Korma Sutra is great for Indian food, they are right around the corner from Blanc on Pennsylvania.

http://kckormasutra.com/

Both are just minutes away from UMKC.

Even closer is Cafe Sebastienne at the Kemper Gallery at 45th and Warwick.

http://www.kemperart.org/cafe/index.asp

Even closer is Cafe  Sebastienne at the Kemper Gallery at 45th and Warwick.

http://www.kemperart.org/cafe/index.asp

This sounds perfect and we can also spend a little time at the musuem. Thanks so much - egullet is the best! :wink:

You will want to see this exhibit.

http://www.kemperart.org/exhibits/current.asp

It smells like a tire store, but the artwork is very enjoyable.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to the tips above, I had the opportunity to have lunch at both Cafe Sebastienne (inside the art museum) and Blanc Burgers and Bottles during a couple of quick trips through KC last week. The atmosphere at the museum cafe was very nice and the service was impeccable. The food was good, but not great. We ate lunch on a Tuesday and if I would guess that the "regular" kitchen staff had the day off. The menu selections sounded much better than they tasted. Nonetheless, we did not go away hungry and we definitely enjoyed the museum!

We had lunch at Blanc Burgers on Saturday and wow, the food was great (as was the service). I was disappointed that they were out of birch beer and that they did not have any malt vinegar for the homemade fries, but other than that, the food was really special - and unexpected in such an unassuming place. (Our waiter said that when he asked the chef for the malt vinegar, he asked if we were from New England - I guess that malt vinegar on fries is an east-coast thing). Thanks again for the recs.

I have a four hour layover tomorrow (Tuesday) at the MCI airport from 1:30-5:30pm. Where should I go?

I imagine the barbecue places will be too expensive of a cab ride?

There's the I-29 Express bus (map) that runs hourly from the airport to downtown.

If you get on the 1-29 Express and take it all the way downtown to stop #2 (13th and Walnut) you'll be in the new Power & Light District, which has a whole host of options. Personally, I'd skip all of these in favor of some of the restaurants just a few blocks away.

If you want a nicer upscale lunch, I would suggest walking down to 19th and Main to Michael Smith. Just around the corner is a casual "bistro," 1924 Main.

Actually, if you really want to hit one of Kansas City's most famous barbecue restaurants, you could, within reason, catch a cab from 13th and Walnut to Arthur Bryant's.

For a decent pie, consider pizza bella, just south of the P&L at 18th and Baltimore. If you keep heading south on Baltimore until it dead-ends into 21st, you'll be at the Crossroad's Freighthouse which offers Lidia's, City Tavern, and Jack Stack Fiorella BBQ.

Save room for Christopher Elbow's chocolates, which can be found on 18th and McGee. And, if you are still wanting something sweet (and naughty), head back up to the P&L District to chefBURGER and cool off with an order of one of their spiked milkshakes.

This is all within walking distance of one another.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Hey Kent, have a good time exploring KC. I know you have a limited time frame but u.e. will send you to the right places. Kansas CIty is certainly one place I go to dine well.