• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tuna substitution

Cookwithlove

Hi, I am creating a vegetarian dish and instead of Tuna i am thinking of a meatless vegetarian items similiar to the tuna (ruby red vibrant colour), any suggestion?

May all animal be free from suffering!

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

"Inhale the aroma before tasting and drinking, savour the goodness from the heart "

Hi, I am creating a vegetarian dish and instead of Tuna i am thinking of a meatless vegetarian items similiar to the tuna (ruby red vibrant colour), any suggestion?

May all animal be free from suffering!

What kind of dish are you thinking of? Knowing the other components might make a recommendation easier.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

I had in mind a vegetarian tartare. Never thought of beet, a good choice and as for tuno something new to me will do a check. Thanks.... keep the idea flows.

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

"Inhale the aroma before tasting and drinking, savour the goodness from the heart "

When you say a tartare, do you mean finely diced? I do think beets would be great in that format. You could finely dice the beets, bind with a little sour cream, maybe a little horseradish, maybe some pine nuts for crunch, maybe caraway or some herb, then shape it with a miniature ring mold and plate with thin round slices of beet.

Another ingredient that might be interesting is pomegranate seeds. I'm too tired to think of what you could do with them, but they sure are red.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I will cut into small cube and pehaps toss with a meditterranean or Japanese kind of dressing. Great ideas!

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

Well, tuna does not really suffer, so I would not worry about that...and its not an endangered species...however, if you are adament about no tuna, why not tofu?

It can absorb taste and colours via marinades quite well, and is very healthy to boot.

Not useful for tartare, but back when I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian I made "tuna salad" with chopped chickpeas all the time. And it was very good. Sometimes I mix chopped chickpeas into my regular tuna salad now that I am omnivorous, I like it so much.

Watermelon as well. Little out of season, but you could probably find a tasty seedless variety. Give it a small dice, a light pickle, and you are in business. Nice, vibrant red color that absolutely looks like tuna.

Qwerty suggestion reminds me of a little amuse using watermelon cut the flesh into 1.5 inch cube,using a small melon baller to remove a scoop of flesh from the centre, creating a cavity for some watermelon juice and drizzle with an aged balsmic vineager.

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房