• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Citrus Shortage: What To Do?

Chris Amirault

Those of us in the US are dealing with the destruction of the majority of the California citrus crop. Today, stopping at the neighborhood mercado for my citrus fix, they were out of lemons and selling out the last of the limes. I drink a lot of sours and don't really want to settle into endless Negronis and Martinis, but, frankly, I'm not sure what to do save for cracking out the RealLemon.

What sorts of adaptations are you making to deal with this shortage?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I am preparing for the worst. Stocking up on limes and lemons for my fridge.

Right now I haven't seen any increase in my local Korean Market, Limes and Lemons are still 4 for a buck.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Prices are steady here in Atlanta, too, for the time being. It's not clear to me that there's actually going to be a shortage. More likely is a steep price increase. We export significant quantity of citrus to Japan. If those contracts are nullified by force majeur, what's left of the California crop could stay in the States. Mexico provides a lot of the winter citrus supply, as does Spain, and (prepare to cringe) Iran is a major lemon producer that might be tapped, if politics don't get in the way. If prices get high enough to cover transport, we'll probably be okay.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I haven't seen much change at the Farmers' Market or Latin American groceries.

Heck, a little more than week ago lemons were 20 for a dollar at the grocery. Small lemons, it is true; but, quite juicy.

I expect the price increase will be seen most at the big grocery store chains and natural markets.

I can't wait to see a $2 lemon at Whole Foods.

I think the Central Valley, hardest hit by the freeze, sells mostly to volume markets. Juice manufacturers and such.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Do what they did on the frontier: use sour beer, or vinegar--or just drink whusky.

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

Maybe now's a good time to capitalize on the popularity of pomegranates?  :biggrin:

or tamarind?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Before the prices really go insane, try our own Marlene Spieler's Pasta al Limone from the NYTimes this week. I am not going to eat anything else all winter!

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray