• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alchemy

johnder

Has anyone been to Alchemy which just opened in Park Slope? Kevin Read converted the space and has Jared King from Peacock Alley as the chef.

There was a blurb about it today on grub street. I have to say I am interested, especially by:

Hanger Steak with Bone Marrow.

:biggrin:

Alchemy is at: 56 5th Ave, Park Slope Brooklyn

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Ah good catch Sneak, I totally missed the opening date. From the picture it looked like they were pretty much complete. I noticed upon closer inspection there is no liquor in the photo, so I would guess they are waiting on their final permits.

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

• 4 weeks later...

Ate here last night.

They still don't have a liquor license. Expect it within the next couple of weeks. (Unlike elsewhere, no one's going around accusing them of reviving the Holocaust or anything.)

By an amazing stroke of luck, I happened to be toting around the undrunk half of a bottle of excellent Portuguese wine.

By emphasizing the most imaginative aspects of the menu, Cutlets made this place sound more interesting than it actually is. The food is solid, well-sourced, and well-prepared -- but it's a basic gastropub, and that's it.

I had the pork cheeks with sage polenta, the lamb stew, and the Guiness pudding. It was all good. None of it was great. (This isn't close to the Spotted Pig, for example.) OTOH, with entree prices hovering around $20, and none going much higher, you can't complain about value.

Go expecting good reasonably-priced food that you don't have to cook yourself. Don't go expecting to be excited.

• 1 month later...

Further to Sneak's March update, they have named a new chef at Alchemy...it's Paul Nanni, who arrives by way of Aquavit. They're also now serving brunch on Saturdays and Sundays (11-4), and have added frog's legs to the menu.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

and have added frog's legs to the menu.

What about the rest of the frog?

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!