• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

POI !

Ono Loa

A friend here on the mainland came up with the best description I've ever heard for poi - Hawai'ian soul food. It must be genetic or something because it really does satisfy my Hawai'ian soul. I love poi with just about anything and can't choose just one thing - it's all soo good :wub: Here's a list of "anything":

Lau-Lau

Kalua Pig

Kalua Pig & Cabbage

Beef Stew

Deer Stew

Buffalo Stew

Fresh Salmon

Smoked Salmon

Teriyaki Chicken

Steamed Carrots

Steamed Luau

Steamed Spinach

Roast Turkey

Beef Chuck & Onions

After writing this I am having a major poi attack!

Yup! All of the above especially lau lau although I don't like chicken lau lau that much.

Our dogs Manele & Koele love poi mixed with their food. Maggie our basenji-pitbull

absolutely loved poi, coincidentally enough when she was dying she really would only

like poi and we had a container of Hanalei Poi dated 9/28/04 which happened to

be the day she left this planet, very chicken skin! :hmmm:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

I have always wanted to eat poi but geography has prevented me from doing so. I haven't found it in the Philippines, China and here in Korea. Don't be too hard on the members in here. If there is no/little response, it doesn't automatically mean almost everyone don't eat poi.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Yeah, I've also noticed not many folks post here either. I live in the Pacific Northwest and there's usually numerous postings daily in the PNW board.

Fresh poi is flown here from Hawai'i and available at a couple of restaurants and 3 stores on a regular basis so there are lots of other poi eaters around here.

You guys think I should post "What's your favorite thing to eat with poi?" on that post?

Yeah, I've also noticed not many folks post here either.  I live in the Pacific Northwest and there's usually numerous postings daily in the PNW board. 

Fresh poi is flown here from Hawai'i and available at a couple of restaurants and 3 stores on a regular basis so there are lots of other poi eaters around here.

You guys think I should post "What's your favorite thing to eat with poi?" on that post?

well... not many hawaiians readin dis board. thats why not many poi eaters here!

just what i figured. mostly tourists lookin for resturant HA!

Edited by Ono Loa (log)

• 2 months later...

I like to eat poi mostly with salty Hawaiian food: kalua pig, lomi salmon, lau lau. I'm always dumbfounded when non-Hawaii folk say that they think poi is so bland. Aren't most starches bland? Rice, potatoes, pasta?

Recently bought a 1 lb container of Hanalei poi for the bf to eat with a lau lau I got from the KCC farmer's market. I cringed at the $7 price tag but bought it anyway. I ate the rest of it solo and thinned with water and "seasoned" with sugar. :shock: