• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ono Loa

POI !

10 posts in this topic

I LOOOOVE POI ... love it with Palm corn beef thats been slowy cooked with onions! SOOO ONO ! what about you? what you like?

A friend here on the mainland came up with the best description I've ever heard for poi - Hawai'ian soul food. It must be genetic or something because it really does satisfy my Hawai'ian soul. I love poi with just about anything and can't choose just one thing - it's all soo good :wub: Here's a list of "anything":

Lau-Lau

Kalua Pig

Kalua Pig & Cabbage

Beef Stew

Deer Stew

Buffalo Stew

Fresh Salmon

Smoked Salmon

Teriyaki Chicken

Steamed Carrots

Steamed Luau

Steamed Spinach

Roast Turkey

Beef Chuck & Onions

After writing this I am having a major poi attack!

Yup! All of the above especially lau lau although I don't like chicken lau lau that much.

Our dogs Manele & Koele love poi mixed with their food. Maggie our basenji-pitbull

absolutely loved poi, coincidentally enough when she was dying she really would only

like poi and we had a container of Hanalei Poi dated 9/28/04 which happened to

be the day she left this planet, very chicken skin! :hmmm:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

WoW! not many poi eaters here...too low brow eh?

I don't agree. You'll notice that this board is relatively low key in terms

of threads/posts for some reason. :hmmm:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

I don't agree. You'll notice that this board is relatively low key in terms

of threads/posts for some reason. :hmmm:

yeah......not a lot of poi eaters here! HA!

I have always wanted to eat poi but geography has prevented me from doing so. I haven't found it in the Philippines, China and here in Korea. Don't be too hard on the members in here. If there is no/little response, it doesn't automatically mean almost everyone don't eat poi.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Yeah, I've also noticed not many folks post here either. I live in the Pacific Northwest and there's usually numerous postings daily in the PNW board.

Fresh poi is flown here from Hawai'i and available at a couple of restaurants and 3 stores on a regular basis so there are lots of other poi eaters around here.

You guys think I should post "What's your favorite thing to eat with poi?" on that post?

Yeah, I've also noticed not many folks post here either.  I live in the Pacific Northwest and there's usually numerous postings daily in the PNW board. 

Fresh poi is flown here from Hawai'i and available at a couple of restaurants and 3 stores on a regular basis so there are lots of other poi eaters around here.

You guys think I should post "What's your favorite thing to eat with poi?" on that post?

well... not many hawaiians readin dis board. thats why not many poi eaters here!

just what i figured. mostly tourists lookin for resturant HA!

Edited by Ono Loa (log)

I like to eat poi mostly with salty Hawaiian food: kalua pig, lomi salmon, lau lau. I'm always dumbfounded when non-Hawaii folk say that they think poi is so bland. Aren't most starches bland? Rice, potatoes, pasta?

Recently bought a 1 lb container of Hanalei poi for the bf to eat with a lau lau I got from the KCC farmer's market. I cringed at the $7 price tag but bought it anyway. I ate the rest of it solo and thinned with water and "seasoned" with sugar. :shock:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0