• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISI thermal whip vs. dessert whip?

chefmcone76

Is there any difference between the two other than the thermal whip being insulated? Can I use the regular dessert whip to make a hot foam if I put the liquid to be foamed in just prior to using it? Does anyone have use doing this technique, and if so, how long do things stay warm in the dessert whip?

"I'm drawn to places that fear their customers" -Kenji

I bought the ISI dessert whip (the one with the white metal canister and the plastic head) and it instructs you not to use it with hot or warm ingredients. I'm not sure why... It could be that the head is not designed to withstand much heat. When I saw this I quickly returned it.

I replaced it with a Liss stainless steel model that I ordered from target.com at a good price and I'm very happy with it.

ISI also makes a higher-end syphon that is all metal. It's pretty much just like the thermal whip, but not insulated. A friend of mine has it and it's pretty good. I think the Liss looks better with it's totally shiny SS canister, but he prefers the ISI.

Thanks, I'll have to check that kind out. Would it be dangerous though to put hot liquid in the dessert whip or is it just "not recommended" because ISI wants me to buy another product? Anyone with experience?

"I'm drawn to places that fear their customers" -Kenji

I use the most basic iSi whips, just plain white metal and plastic.  It works warm and cold, holds forever in a water bath, no worries.

This is what we use at the restaurant where I work. We have 2 different foams. We have 3 whippers, 2 are Whip-It I think, and there is my personal iSi bottle. The foams are hot, and we keep them in a hot well on the line. No problem so far, other than when one of the line cooks lost the washer.

On a related note, does anyone know where I can buy just the plastic nozzle for an iSi whipper? I've had mine so long, the threads got stripped out of the plastic and now I can't use it :(

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

Thanks, I'll have to check that kind out.  Would it be dangerous though to put hot liquid in the dessert whip or is it just "not recommended" because ISI wants me to buy another product?  Anyone with experience?

The reason is Boyle's law: the gas pressure will increase with the higher temp., perhaps to the point of danger. They had to design it to some internal pressure keeping in mind cost, and higher pressures are harder to contain.

I bought the all-metal Liss online for just a little bit more than the price I had paid for the plastic-headed Isi at Sur La Table. I'm sure the plastic will probably be fine, but for only a few more bucks the Liss is a lot better. Plastic does tend to fatigue, so it could possibly fail on you suddenly at just the most inappropriate of times. The Liss website also says the head is machined from a solid piece of aluminum, which I find to be really impressive because I am easily impressed.

http://liss-america.airplanet.hu/liss-america/index.jsp

There'r lot of interest in this gadget Thermal whip for mulit-purpose use whipped cream, mousse, foam sauce and the list goes on..... . I for once have not use it before and heard it many times and I only wish to learn how to dispense the foam sauce.

The thing is that when gas is involve people naturally think of the safety aspect first and how to fix and assemble. Any nice guy who can share some photos or a video to show how it's done will bulit confidence in using it eversince it was revolutonized and popularized by Chef extraordinaire Ferran Aeral.

my 2 cents and good day!

Edited by Cookwithlove (log)

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

"Inhale the aroma before tasting and drinking, savour the goodness from the heart "

• Similar Content

• By ShylahSinger
      Hello! I'm fairly new to this site so I don't know if my search was weak. I'm trying to find a way to make Mandarin orange puree at home, but I couldn't find anything even similar in the forum. I am a home cook, but I have been making chocolate bonbons and other confections for over 4 years (intermitantly). It is too expensive for me to purchase this online- not because of the price of the puree, but the cost of shipping makes it prohibative. The recipes I've seen online are all differant and don't seem to be what I need. 
      I would love any help with this! I look forward to hearing and learning from those who have much, much more experience than me. Thanks!
    • By Darienne
      In hopes of sleeping better, etc, etc, I have currently given up gluten, dairy and now sugar.  The gluten and dairy pose no problems...the sugar does.  I am not happy using mannitol or erythritol or any of those artificial sweeteners...they give me severe digestive problems.   But I can tolerate stevia very nicely.  The only problem is that there doesn't seem to be much sweetened with this ingredient.

I do have a carob/coconut oil/peanut butter/stevia candy of sorts.  I don't really like it all that much, but it does work.  That's about it.

Has anyone any recipes for desserts using stevia?  Thanks.
    • By Janet Taylor
      Ever since Todd talked making cupcakes I have been cupcake crazy. Although, I am not a cake maker but more of a pie person.
      My first dessert that I love that I make is my Coconut Cream Pie w/heavy whipped cream. I don't use low fat anything and probably angioplasties is necessary after this baby.
      My second is Peach Cobbler w/rich vanilla ice cream. I never met a cobbler that I didn't like, but peach is my favorite.
      I don't make these often because I wouldn't be able to get through the front door if I did.
      How about yours?
      .....Janet
    • By amyneill
      Hi all!! 
      I work at an amazing little New Zealand Style ice cream shop in the beautiful Denver Colorado. I was hoping to get a little help on the subject of adding fruit into ice cream after extracting it and ensuring that, when the ice cream is frozen, the fruity bits don't turn into rock hard shards. I am planning on doing a cherry chocolate ice cream and I was going to soak some dried cherries that we're no longer using for something else. I was planning on using some brandy and a ton of sugar, but I was really hoping someone had a tried and true method they could send my way so that I KNOW that the fruit will be luscious as it's frozen. If you have a certain sugar ratio. I know there is the brix test, but to be honest it's been many years since pastry school and I am very rusty. Would love to hear from some of my fellow sugar-heads. 
      Thank you!
      Amy

• By MightyD
      cakes, cookies, pies, that makes you smile!!!!