• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jamie Oliver

RDB

Sorry to lower the tone, but did anyone catch his TV show last night? Christ is there no end to this mans philanthropy, when he dies they should canonise him at least.

Anyway the basis is, Jamie is going to give one of his 'downtrodden, disadvantaged and desolate' trainees the chance to run their own restaurant. So four trainees have to battle it out to see who wins etc etc. Of course the purpose of this venture is not to promote his ever expanding empire and do-gooder image, but to give some poor soul the chance to be happy, successful and a whole person.

However a few questions/ points:

1. These 'disadvantaged ' individuals did not seem that bad to me. Ok one had stole a car twice, one had overdone it on the gak, one came from Thailand and the other was an Irish lad ( being Irish seemingly his criteria for disadvantagedness) Hardly the Asbo generation?

2. Prior to his 15 project was it really so hard to become a chef? He kept claiming last night how much he had changed these 'kids' lives by giving them a chance to become a chef!

3. Why did he feel the need to step up the swearing ala Gordon Ramsey? Come on Jamie not really the image you want to portray. Even Ruth Watson was swearing.

4. Who the fuck is Ruth Watson?

5. Why did he feel the need to show his vast fortune of? Driver, mansion, lavish birthday celebrations etc etc? Was it to show the poor people that if they take over this pub they could have all this?

6. Why did the Irish lad's Mum have subtitles when she was speaking English albeit with a bit of an accent?

7 Was it a coincidence that the name of pub was called The Cock?

This had to be the most patronising piece of television I have ever seen, well since his last piece of pseudo altruistic nonsense.......

Apologies one and all I felt I had to vent my spleen :angry:

I have to say I did wonder about their background - I mean they al looked to be going ok, and the Thai girl had a rather nice house to be honest!

I was also amazed at how poor their cooking skills were - if these are some of the best trainess that have been through his training programme the lord help them! I also want to know if they are still his employees or what they are doing for a living now as well!

You are so right about Ruth Watson though - who the hell is she?! She appeared on a programme called "The hotel Inspector" and was introduced as a famous hetelier and restauranteur! Famous shmamous! I did some digging on the net and it seems she has a pub!

Still, something to watch I suppose!

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

You are so right about Ruth Watson though - who the hell is she?!  She appeared on a programme called "The hotel Inspector" and was introduced as a famous hetelier and restauranteur!  Famous shmamous!  I did some digging on the net and it seems she has a pub!

calling bapi, calling bapi :laugh:

yeah only a pub, what would she know about hospitality?

www.crownandcastle.co.uk

18 rooms is plenty, let me tell you

Edited by Gary Marshall (log)

you don't win friends with salad

calling bapi, calling bapi

yeah only a pub, what would she know about hospitality?

www.crownandcastle.co.uk

18 rooms is plenty, let me tell you

I am not saying that she is not very knowledgeable - but a "famous hotelier and restauranteur" or an "expert"! It's like calling greg Wallace a culinary expert rather than a fruit and veg man :-)

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

6. Why did the Irish lad's Mum have subtitles when she was speaking English albeit with a bit of an accent?

You're kidding me!! Glad I missed it so...Was it supposed to be funny, or was it just impossible to hear her over the sounds of the fiddles and leprechauns?

God, I'm so Jamie-d out.

You're kidding me!! Glad I missed it so...Was it supposed to be funny, or was it just impossible to hear her over the sounds of the fiddles and leprechauns?

God, I'm so Jamie-d out.

I kid ye not! I have never seen anyone on TV speaking English having subtitles. Not that his grasp on the language or his accent is anything to go by etc etc :angry:

This was a new low for Mr Oliver. I felt embarrsed for the chefs since the whole undertone to the programme was that that they had been given this great opportinity not based on their ability to cook (which admittedly did not look immense) but on the fact that they were disadvantaged (alledgedly) and Jamie has heroicly rescued them from those dark days. To give him some credit Jamie has done some good and I'm sure has good intensions, but this is a bridge too far.

What's wrong with tradition formula for cookery programmes where people who are good at cooking just cook some dishes?

it's easy to knock jamie but i think it really is unwarranted.

he is quite patetenly rich beyond his needs, has a family that he seems keen to spend some time with and surely any more book deals/tv shows are only going to make an incremental difference to his wealth.

yet he still keeps launching these projects to help, he doesn't need to, he's not fronting a global resto company a la ramsay, there's little personal benefit to him from more punters going to fifteen at the end of the day and yet all he seems to get is a load of sh*te.

the projects sound great on paper but in reality are a lot of hassle for him when he could be whiling away his days with his family on a beach. If i had the money i'd like to help in a similar way but suspect my patience would have run out a long time ago, he does deserve a bloody knighthood imho !

too bloody right....its all too easier to by cynical and look at the negative things about what is being done and why its being done. Sure he has a certain personality that may grate on some, like ramsey grates on others but it is this personality, get up and go drive that has enabled him to be in the financial position he is in.

bakerestates

I kid ye not! I have never seen anyone on TV speaking English having subtitles. Not that his grasp on the language or his accent is anything to go by etc etc :angry:

Still, I guess it's not Jamies' fault, but the producers'.....

Perhaps I should consider getting a translator for eGullet, to ensure all all the non-Irish here can fully understand me.

Craic = fun. Not your bottom. Or drugs

Pegging = Running. Not throwing clothes pegs at people.

Bailing = opting out of a difficult decision/situation. Not the action undertaken in a sinking boat.

"Jamie's Chef, made by Oliver's own production company Fresh One ..."

To misquote AA Gill: Mr Oliver is a difficult man to hate but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

Edited by naebody (log)

"Jamie's Chef, made by Oliver's own production company Fresh One" ...

To misquote AA Gill: Mr Oliver's is a difficult man to hate but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

Ahhhh. And there I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. :hmmm: Subtitle the Irish? Way to alienate a market....

Who's hijacked Gary's login? :unsure: .

credit where credit's due old boy :smile:

the first couple of series of naked chef had a big impact when they launched (and i was a youngster) the format clearly tired and grated by the third series, but it made home cooking a cool pastime for a generation that was previously aspiring to M&S ready meals, and who wouldn't have a clue who elizabeth david was.

(like me for instance read about a page and lost interest)

Yes you are probably right Gary, it is probably a little lazy of me to write about someone like Jamie Oliver, the man, lets face it is an easy target. Well so I thought. Following his ‘Jamie’s Kitchen’ programme I was expecting the nation, like me, to have seen through his pseudo altruism and haul him over the proverbial (barbeque) coals for cashing in on a so called ‘worthy’ cause. Obviously not. He has been hailed as a saint, the savior of the ASBO generation; a role model for all those under privileged kids and all round good egg (pun intended). Now he has saved all our children from becoming obese or dying before they are 18 from turkeytwizzleanitis, it has put him up there with the likes of Mandela, Mother Theresa and Geldof (well before he did Live8). Much as people are sick of seeing his contorted visage almost everywhere and hearing his passé mockney ’colloquailisums’, he is still seen as a very noble and generous hearted soul. So why is it that I am a little cynical of his motivations. Well I have a few points (sorry if they are too long ).

I never bought the whole Jamie's Kitchen thing from the start. It smacked blatantly of giving the flooded arena of TV cookery programmes a new twist. What would be better than pleasing the middle classes than seeing some ‘fine food’ mixed with a healthy dose of social commentary and the amelioration of societies woes, all in one? Maybe I am wrong and Jamie may have been having sleepless nights worrying and perseverating over the plight of the ‘underprivileged kids’. He may have over breakfast, stated to his loyal wife Jules that the world outside was just not ‘pukka’ and maybe he should give the starving, hopeless and homeless kids of Britain a chance. If this is the case then why make a television programme about it? Surely you can carry out such charitable work without having the world know how philanthropic you are? There is something very crass about how much one does for charity. In one episode I remember him guilt tripping his apprentices by stating that if the project went tits up his house would be on the line. This seems very laughable now when recent figures estimate him to be worth £56 million, second only to Gordon Ramsey in chef earnings. I also wonder what production company was involved in this and other Jamie production

What is also extremely patronising about this venture is this annoying concept of underprivileged kids. From what I remember a great deal of these kids were far from ’underprivileged’, some from quite well to do backgrounds, something they had in common with Jamie. I do not remember him visiting Toxteth, the Gorbals, or Moss Side to recruit his apprentices for the show - that would have been too real. What has he actually offered these kids? The chance to become a chef? Pre-Jamie was it that hard to become a chef? No in fact it’s pretty easy, you either go to catering college and then work your way through the ranks or you miss out catering college and work your way through the ranks. You do not need a TV chef, TV programme and a charitable foundation to know that or aid the process.

Next humanitarian cause for our Jamie was the quest to change the school dinners our poor children are being poisoned with. Ok it is a worthy cause that I am in agreement with, but let’s remember this was going on well before Jamie was involved. At the same time his fame has raised the profile and gone some way to make changes to what kids eat at school. However behind this quest there lies certain contradictions in what Jamie actually stands for and promotes. On the one hand he is constantly haranguing the nation and literally force-feeding children to eat healthy food, yet on the other hand is the face of a well known supermarket. The same supermarket that stocks ready meals, turkey dinosaurs, foods clogged with hydrogenated fats, unhealthy sweets, crisps, food sourced by unethical means and flown thousands of miles, farmed fish, ill treatment of British farmers, I could go on and on. While Jamie and the rest of his extended family appear in friendly commercials extolling the wonders of Sainsbury’s he is criticising the rest of us who shop at this supermarket for buying processed junk for packed lunches.?. You can’t have it both ways Jamie, you can’t guilt trip the nations parents into not feeding their children, whilst at the same time advertising supermarkets as the place to feed our kids. Ok the counter argument may be that Jamie's own range is more healthy, ethical and tastier than the ‘normal’ products in this supermarket, but at the end of the day by putting your face to a business, you are an advert for everything it sells, chicken nuggets and all. To add to this he has even gone out of his way to blame working mothers as the cause for unhealthy meals and the nation’s health problems. Since when has a TV chef becomes a sociological analyst for health related demographic trends? It may be ok for Jules to stay at home, but then again she has no financial worries, does she?

I am not denying that Jamie has done some good, as have the hundreds and thousands of charities and charity workers (myself included). To me it is just a little tainted and his new show I think has highlighted that. Also in respect to not needing to do it remember no matter if you have all the money and fame in the world, the desire to attain more is still a motivating force, as is the need to be seen to be doing something 'worthwhile'.

I don't really have a problem with the fat tongued mockney, but after hearing him speaking twice in the last seven days (Top Gear last Sunday and Chris Evans on Radio Two in the week) I was by the second time, rather bored of his repeated use of the words 'Well, I did spend most of my school days in special needs classes' Yes, I sympathise with his fairly well documented struggle with dyslexia, but is this where he's headed next in his role as champion of the under privileged?

I think an important point to think about is - even if all his hard work has been done for personal gain, others have benefited? Surely it is better to do something for charity even if you benefit than not do it at all?

And I think the purpose of doing the 15 project on tv, other than to enhance his profile, is to get more people interested in it. Sadly a large amount of our population need it to be shwn to them is this way to get interested.

At the end of the day, he has clearly given up a lot of time, worked bloody hard and done well for himself and others - good on him I say!

I think an important point to think about is - even if all his hard work has been At the end of the day, he has clearly given up a lot of time, worked bloody hard and done well for himself and others - good on him I say!

have you changed your tune ravelda or have I misinterpreted you previously? :hmmm:

he is quite patetenly rich beyond his needs, has a family that he seems keen to spend some time with and surely any more book deals/tv shows are only going to make an incremental difference to his wealth.

yet he still keeps launching these projects to help, he doesn't need to, he's not fronting a global resto company a la ramsay, there's little personal benefit to him from more punters going to fifteen at the end of the day and yet all he seems to get is a load of sh*te.

the projects sound great on paper but in reality are a lot of hassle for him when he could be whiling away his days with his family on a beach. If i had the money i'd like to help in a similar way but suspect my patience would have run out a long time ago, he does deserve a bloody knighthood imho !

Gary,

I hear what you're saying and I think to some extent you're obviously right, but by the same token you can extend this all the way to the Bill Gates/Steve Jobs corollary. they do what they do, because that is what they do.

Jamie Oliver (whom I have never heard a bad word about on a personal level, great bloke by all accounts) is a media production exec. much of it is very cynical, but that's the name of the media game in Britain circa 21st century.

He's looking to do, what he does, which is to play the role of the great social protector. hell, when someone tells me why the Hoxton Apprentice is not a zillion times more worthy than 'Fifteen', then I might start believing it. He does no harm, and is at least moderately (probably more) well intentioned - but that does not change anything. derivative or cynical exercises in the arena of public perceptions and personality creation. Geez, anyone would think he didn't spend more than 6 months looking for derelict schools, rejecting many along the way as 'too good' or 'too normal' before finally, belatedly coming across a suitably shite school in SE London with which to make a TV program about the state of school dinners in schools.

lets just accept Jamie as a media creation, smart enough to take control of the production aspects, and now he creates media presentations. if we're lucky we might enjoy the consumption of such.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?