• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Galangal in Bergen?

wilsonrabbit

I'm searching for a good source of galangal (the root that looks like ginger but isn't) in Bergen county. I thought the King Fung in River Edge had it, but I couldn't find it today...unless it's in the frozen section. I forgot to look. :angry: I don't recall seeing it frozen in the past though that doesn't mean it's not hiding there. Does anyone know for sure where I can get my grubby hands on good specimens versus sorry looking mouldy ones that really belong in the rubbish bins (ok, compost bins)? I know there are a lot of Korean markets in Fort Lee...like Chang's (?) by the Fort Lee Community Center but I didn't think Koreans used galangal. Mitsuwa didn't have it either but that's not surprising since I don't think Japanese use it either. Unfortunately, I need this by Friday. :hmmm: I'd appreciate your suggestions! :smile: Thanks!

around the corner, or so, from udoms is a large ethnic veggie and fruit store. they have everything.  asian, caribbean, latin...  its about a block or two north of udoms.

you're probably referring to Giant. It has an incredible selection of fruits/veggies, and some parts of animals that you're likely not going to find anywhere else. and all for real cheap.

Alas, Udoms is closed. I swung by today and there is a court order for them to vacate the premises. Something like that. I also tried Giant but no luck there either but overall, they've got nice variety and great prices. Thanks all for the suggestions. If I do find it, I will post for future seekers.