• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Joel Robuchon coming to Chicago (L'Atelier?)

I just got my email installment of "The Dish" - a weekly e-letter sent by Chicago Magazine. Apparently....

We have been hearing whispers that Joël Robuchon, one of the world’s most decorated chefs (L’Atelier de Joël Robuchon), was planning to open a restaurant in Chicago—a juicy rumor that was extremely difficult for us to sit on. Now we no longer have to. Robuchon will open in Chicago by the end of 2008, his business office in Paris confirmed.  The locale is still up in the air, but it looks as if Chicago will join New York, London, Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Las Vegas as cities that the man has conquered. A three-star Michelin chef—and the man the Guide GaultMillau called “cook of the century”—is coming . . . talk amongst yourselves.

u.e.

P.S. Ronnie, if you need a link, please amend as necessary. Sorry, I only got the text from the email....

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

P.S. Ronnie, if you need a link, please amend as necessary.  Sorry, I only got the text from the email....

No worries. Here's a link to the same content, posted on-line:

Robuchon is Coming

Any guesses about the eventual location?

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I'll take a stab: The new Trump building...

I heard that possibility was dead but I'm not certain of my source's reliability. It's a good guess.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

U E: Cool news! BTW, Chicago is in the midwest for sher, but I don't think it merits all your question marks. Chicago is a foodie destination and I'm not surprised Joel figures he can find his market here.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Yes, well, I guess it's just that Robuchon is so French... and Chicago, though I love it dearly as a former home, is decidedly ... not. :raz:

But then again, I guess it's a lot closer to being French than LV...

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Given Chicago's plethora of French and fine dining restaurants, and its relatively recent history as home of two restaurants considered by some as the best in the country - Le Francais years ago when Jean Banchet was at the helm, and Alinea today - I don't find it surprising at all. And I'm not sure how one city in the States would be considered more or less "French" than another, except perhaps for one which was once owned by France (e.g. New Orleans).

Given Chicago's plethora of French and fine dining restaurants, and its relatively recent history as home of two restaurants considered by some as the best in the country - Le Francais years ago when Jean Banchet was at the helm, and Alinea today - I don't find it surprising at all.  And I'm not sure how one city in the States would be considered more or less "French" than another, except perhaps for one which was once owned by France (e.g. New Orleans).

To be sure... My admittedly tongue in cheek comment emphasized by :raz:

:wink:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Here's a stab in the dark......

What about the Dining Room at the Ritz Carlton? He's already established a relationship with the Four Seasons Hotel Group and it seems like it would be a good fit in terms of helping to reposition the Ritz with world class modern dining.

Just a guess.

Both hotels 4SH and RC are managed by the Four Seasons.

Patrick Sheerin

I wonder how he'll deal with not having foie gras

You beat me to it, tetsujustin. I was thinking this morning that he just might find a location outside of the city just for that reason... unless, of course, he or others might have a clue that the ban will lift?

That being said, Robuchon seems to be much more into milking for money than to stay true to any one form... thus he'd, for financial stakes, be better off, I think within a certain sector of the city limits... in fact, I'd venture to say even within a specific twenty-block area.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

What about the Dining Room at the Ritz Carlton?

According to the press, the Ritz closed the Dining Room as a restaurant because they wanted to use it for banquet functions.

The possibility of a suburban location is intriguing. Remember, when Banchet decided to locate Le Francais in Wheeling, it was because he wanted to make it too inconvenient for convention-goers, so his customer base would consist more of those with a true interest in the food.

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

The cost of having dinner at his new retaurant IF it actually happens wil take your breath away, literally, if not max out even a Black AMEXO card. Not only the start up costs but the cost of having ingrediants never seen in Chicago flown in from around the world and from France will be astronomical. Ever see a Bresse chicken for sale in Chicago?

Seriously, there may be a market for it in Chicago but not for me. -Dick

The cost of having dinner at his new retaurant IF it actually happens wil take your breath away, literally, if not max out even a Black AMEXO card.

My first reaction to this was, could it be that much worse than Alinea? At Alinea, the small tasting menu is $135, the big tasting menu is $195, and the typical bottom line ends up being $300 or more (sometimes much more, depending on your taste in alcohol).

Then I looked on the website for his restaurant in Vegas, which says, "Six course tasting menu: $225/person; Sixteen course tasting menu: $360/person". :angry:

It seems to me that there is now a very top tier of restaurants which are charging simply for the name recognition, rather than the food or the experience. You can have a wonderful dining experience at some of the nicest places in town, with some of the best food, for under $100. It's getting more and more difficult to justify places that are now charging three or more times the price.

The cost of having dinner at his new retaurant IF it actually happens wil take your breath away, literally, if not max out even a Black AMEXO card.

Then I looked on the website for his restaurant in Vegas, which says, "Six course tasting menu: $225/person; Sixteen course tasting menu: $360/person". :angry:

It seems to me that there is now a very top tier of restaurants which are charging simply for the name recognition, rather than the food or the experience. You can have a wonderful dining experience at some of the nicest places in town, with some of the best food, for under $100. It's getting more and more difficult to justify places that are now charging three or more times the price.

Those prices are for the more formal restaurant at the Mansion. You also have to take into consideration that prices in Vegas have absolutely no bearing on reality (you're not going to find a $300+ tasting menu anywhere in the US outside of Las Vegas, with the possible exception of Masa).

At the Atelier in Vegas, the tasting menu is something like $100-$125 per person for 7-9 courses IIRC. Given the quality of the food and ingredients used I thought that price was more than fair.

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

You also have to take into consideration that prices in Vegas have absolutely no bearing on reality (you're not going to find a $300+ tasting menu anywhere in the US outside of Las Vegas, with the possible exception of Masa).

You're probably right, but there are other places (in addition to Masa) that are way above the already-sky-high Alinea. For example, the prix fixe at per se is currently $250, and Keller's other place in California is up to $240 now. It was less than half that much when I ate their only three years ago.

Not to nit-pick, but I believe those prices include gratuity, so you're really still talking about a $200 tasting menu (which is more than fair given what you're getting).

But, to bring this back to JR, I wouldn't be surprised to see these types of prices from the new venture (assuming it is either a formal restaurant or an Atelier). If the food is good, people will go. Plenty of people will go at first on name recognition alone.

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

Not to nit-pick, but I believe those prices include gratuity, so you're really still talking about a $200 tasting menu (which is more than fair given what you're getting).

I believe the $240 in California includes gratuity, but the $250 in New York does not.

As to whether it's "fair", that is a value judgment and is entirely subjective. I have paid high prices for Mr. Keller's food, and have felt quite satisfied with the value. I have also paid high prices for Mr. Achatz's food, and did not feel it was worth it. IMHO, of course.

Plenty of people will go at first on name recognition alone.

I agree - and that's a lot of what they will be paying for.

In any case, I am looking forward to his restaurant being here. Whenever there are more dining choices, we all benefit.

In any case, I am looking forward to his restaurant being here.  Whenever there are more dining choices, we all benefit.

How true this statement is. Don't knock the cook until you have a chance to taste the food and then place judgements. Price is subjective and to some a ripoff and to others, they gladly pay the price.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

gallery_30892_2668_32757.jpg

tasting menu at Atelier Las Vegas

gallery_30892_2668_11949.jpg

menu at Atelier Las Vegas

gallery_30892_2668_34204.jpg

menu at Atelier Las Vegas

Atelier of Robuchon is like Avec on steroids. I have eaten at Atelier in Paris and Las Vegas and both meals were great. This will be a great addition to the dining scene in Chicago.

For more information on Chef Joel Robuchon's restaurants look here and here.

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

It is defentliy going to be an L'Atelier and it will not be in the Trump building(that is for ducasse, deal is signed with Trump!!!!) $ amount does not matter in Chicago for Robuchon.....it is a universal concept! We all know it will be expensive, great, and worth every penny!