• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eastern v. Western (U.S.) butter sticks

JAZ

I'm sending back my brand new GE Monogram 42" refrigerator!!! My west coast butter won't fit in the butter dish that came with it!!

Sitting on the fence between gourmet and gourmand, I am probably leaning to the right...

Lyle P.

Redwood City, CA

"That's what I thought.  Maybe the western stick is supposed to be 4.125"?  "

I'm Seattle so I just measured a quarter Lb stick.  3.125 or 3.25 [different sides] by 1.5 "square. 

To those who asked, no they don't fit the longish eastern butter dishes.

Your Eastern butter dish must have a shorter lid than mine.

You can't get much more East Coast than Philadelphia, and yet we can get one brand of butter in Western sticks. Keller's Creamery of Harleysville, Pa., makes and packages its butter in both styles, and the Western-style packages of Keller's butter -- which the SuperFresh near me labeled "modern quarters" (as opposed to the more common "Elgin quarters" in this part of the country) -- are much more commonly found in this area.

The Keller's "modern" sticks fit fine in my Elgin-quarter-sized butter dish with lid.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 3 weeks later...

We intrepid inquisitors here on eGullet were certainly way out ahead on this controversial food issue!

From the St Paul Pioneer Press:

"What's short and squat and good on toast? The new Western-sized butter from Land O'Lakes, which this week is finally changing the shape of its butter sticks - but only for the quirky West Coast market."

SB :wink: