• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A mano in Ridgewood

whitetrufflechick

.....I usually taste insipid, overly sweet sauce and/or canned ingredients, and I'm totally turned off.

I didn't want to use that word because I'm trying to be fair to a relatively new place that's still finding itself & actually does have a lot to offer, but since it's out there....

The artichokes & zucchini struck me as exactly what would come out of a can at a lot of other places I've been.

Maybe they're freshly prepared & marinated on premises, but the result is the same. I'd hoped for better.

I still think that they did a superb job with the crust, and we'll probably try them again at some point.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

• 7 months later...

There is news about A Mano and its founding pizzaolo here on the Bergen Record blog; the last post (at least, as of right now) is from Roberto.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 10 months later...

We found this place totally fortuitously. We were on our way to a wedding in NYC from upstate NY, staying in Fort Lee. The plan was to stop in Ridgewood to have lunch at Sakura Bana, after hearing good things about them, here and elsewhere. After an excellent lunch, we were walking across the street to our parking space, when we noticed an Italian market (we were on our way to shop at Jerry's in Englewood, our usual stop when down in NJ). We noticed some "Jerry's" price labels on some of the products and asked the manager of the store about it and explained the affiliation with the original store. He asked us if we were familiar with restaurant, which we, of course, were not. He gave us a quick tour and invited us back on another trip. which we plan to do. Does anyone know (I forgot to ask), if they have a wine list or are BYOB? Forgot where I was at lunch-we had tea, but would have enjoyed some beer, which I noticed other patrons taking out of the brown bag they carried in. Thanks.

Mark A. Bauman

Definitely BYO, although the last time I was there they had just gotten a license to sell NJ wines ONLY. So it's BYO, imo! :wink:

Fwiw, I haven't been back in months, as my last experience was definitely lacking. I know that Roberto trained the staff that remains, but since he's gone, the pizza just isn't the same. My $.02.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

• 2 months later...

For those of you who were fans of Roberto's pizza while he was at A Mano, there's good news! Definitely worth a re-visit. :wub:

• 3 weeks later...

Just read this on the Bergen Record food blog:

A Mano, the Neapolitan pizzeria in Ridgewood, will have three pizza-makers from Naples and the president of the Association of Neapolitan Pizza Makers at the restaurant from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, March 7 for a benefit supporting the Ridgewood Police Benevolent Association. For $15, customers will receive a 12-inch pizza, a soft drink and homemade gelato. Half of proceeds will benefit the PBA.

A Mano is at 24 Franklin Ave., Ridgewood; 201-493-2000; www,amanopizza.com

• 1 month later...

If you're a fan of Roberto's, two pieces of information:

1. A Mano seems to be back on track, as Roberto returned and tweaked the menu and trained new staff who are manning the ovens

2. If you go into the city, you can now find Roberto at his new restaurant, Keste in the West Village. Read all about it here.

My best description of Keste is that it's a smaller, NYC version of A Mano. In a very good way. With Roberto overseeing it all. A VERY good thing, imo. :wink: