• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need a recipe

maggiejiggs

Thin slices of roast pork, boiled or viginia ham, sliced dill pickle, good mustard and swiss cheese on a thin split baugette. Make sandwich and toast whole sandwich in a pannini press or use two hwavy cast iron fry pans, one on top and one on stove. They are also know as media noches( middle of the night) :biggrin:

Some links:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=69255&st=60

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...29700&hl=cubano

It's the best sandwich. Better than all the others. Way better. Especially if made with cracklin' from a baby pig and the right cheese, bread, pickle, ham and garlic that is perfectly softened in olive oil.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

I was born in Tampa, the birth place of the Cuban sandwich.

The Cuban sandwich is a uniquely Tampa phenomenon, developed by Cubans who settled in the city long before their countrymen came to Miami.

Then, it was called a "sandwich mixto," because the mix of ingredients. You will not see this sandwich in Cuba.

Everybody claims theirs is the best, some add mayo, some lettuce and tomato but the original formula and is very basic.

Cuban sandwich

HOW TO MAKE ONE: Between two pieces of Cuban bread, one of the best from La Segunda Central Bakery in Tampa, layer these ingredients: baked or smoked ham, roast pork, Genoa salami, Swiss cheese, dill pickles, yellow mustard. Press on a grill to crisp the bread and bring out flavors in the meats and cheese. The juices from the cheese and salami should mix with the pork and ham during pressing. These are great.

The Cuban sandwich is a uniquely Tampa phenomenon, developed by Cubans who settled in the city long before their countrymen came to Miami.

Then, it was called a "sandwich mixto," because the mix of ingredients. You will not see this sandwich in Cuba. 

Everybody claims theirs is the best, some add mayo, some lettuce and tomato but the original formula and is very basic. 

Cuban sandwich

HOW TO MAKE ONE: Between two pieces of Cuban bread, one of the best from La Segunda Central Bakery in Tampa, layer these ingredients: baked or smoked ham, roast pork, Genoa salami, Swiss cheese, dill pickles, yellow mustard. Press on a grill to crisp the bread and bring out flavors in the meats and cheese.  The juices from the cheese and salami should mix with the pork and ham during pressing.  These are great.

Great response. Love the history. Curiously, here in nyc I'm pretty sure the only cubanos I've had have been made by Puerto Ricans.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Thanks to all. I grew up in NJ, across the river from Manhattan. Now living in Indianapolis. Since our Colts are playing in the Super Bowl, I'm planning a Cuban party - let's celebrate our co-ethnic joys! (pork is a midwestern staple, NJ is home to me and to many Cubans, and Miami?!!!)

Maggiejiggs

Cuban sandwich

HOW TO MAKE ONE: Between two pieces of Cuban bread, one of the best from La Segunda Central Bakery in Tampa, layer these ingredients: baked or smoked ham, roast pork, Genoa salami, Swiss cheese, dill pickles, yellow mustard. Press on a grill to crisp the bread and bring out flavors in the meats and cheese.  The juices from the cheese and salami should mix with the pork and ham during pressing.  These are great.

What genoa salami.. Wow, I will take your word for it but, up in Jersey City and Elizabeth Area, Cuban Population Second to Miami, there is no Salami around.. I have seen tons of things added to a Cuban Sandwich but always thought it was Roast Pork, Ham, Pickles, Swiss, Mayo.. I like to have a little red wine vinegar on the plate to dip into..

Here is a Cubanesque Sandwich I made the other day.. Smoked pork mixed with a Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce, Ham, Swiss, Pickles, on this really good French Bread.. As good as it was, it cant be a Cuban without the bread.. I find thats the most important thing..

gallery_15057_2971_88207.jpg