• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO Okinawa sea salt

ned

I live in NYC. Have looked all over for this lovely salt to no avail. Large flat crystals that crunch and then disappear. I've only had it at sushi restaurants. Can it be ordered on the internet?

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

You could try Malden sea salt...Williams Sonoma if you dont get anywhere with the Okinowa

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I love maldens and use it as often as I can. I think I might like this elusive Okinawa salt even better.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

What? You don't believe that it's harvested by Okinawans with little tin foil hats that focus the moonbeams through their hands? :laugh:

Ned: Have you tried Mitsuwa yet? They might have it at a not-too-insane price...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Not last time I was there.

You can try The Salt Traders as a source. I got some Japanese sea salt Japanese Nazuna sea salt from them some time back, and it sounds a lot like what you describe.

Edited to correct a misspelling and add this info: I don't see a specifically Okinawan salt listed, but I still think the Nazuna salt sounds like much the same thing.

Edited by Smithy (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Nancy.