• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktails in Paris

Forest

Someone just sent me this link to a list of the best cocktail bars in the Guardian. I'm all for the Experimental and the Curio, which are the top two listed there, but there are a few here that I've never heard of. I'll start trying them out, but if anyone has any info on the other bars worth sharing, I'm all ears.

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

Funny, two of the bars mentionned are located on the author's home street. I'd never heard of them either, but I can imagine why they're getting coverage...

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Any comments on Le Magnifique?

okay, finally I got around to trying le Magnifique & was rather impressed. It was admittedly a little tougher to give it a really critical eye because I have some friends in town, so Wednesday's crowd was a bit bigger and more distracting than usual. But, my martini was superb (16 Euros). I could get a martini of equal quality for a bit less, but I really liked the vibe in this place. The Colin Field inspired drinks (20 Euros) wowed us less. (he helped them develop the menu) The ambience is very low-key swanky lounge. Sofas, low tables, dark lighting. You have to ring to enter and the guy looks throught the little window box before letting you in. Of note also, there is a fumoir. I'll blog on it later this week, but those are the key elements. I'm going to go back on my own or just with one other person to get a really good look at what they're doing behind the bar.

Fresh_a: Have you been since your post? I'm curious to hear what you think of it.

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

• 4 months later...

well, i haven't been around here in awhile (in fact the entire France forum seems pretty quiet these days). But, due to a query from a fellow EGer and a search for cocktails for a pre-concert drink tonight I notice that my cocktail bar unchartered spaces on it. I am on the hunt for cocktail bars:

1. around champs de mars

2. around Bercy

if anyone has any suggestions for these areas, feel free to send them my way!

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

well, I haven't posted much here lately because there seem to be so few of us lurking around these days, but i wanted to give a little mention to La Conserverie, 37 bis rue Sentier, for their cocktails. Lots of fresh ingredients and TLC behind the bar of this hip, loungey stop.

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

• 3 months later...

I can't seem to find any info on what days Experimental, Curio and Prescription are open. I'll be visiting Sunday-Tuesday and was hoping to hit all three. Any further details on days/hours of operation would be greatly appreciated.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour