• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktails in Paris

Forest

Amazing!! Thank you soo much fro all the recommendations, will definitely do my best to check most of them out, think we may skip the ritz as we have brunch at the crillon and can't afford to get too accustomed to such luxuries!!! Will let you know how i get on

Edited by nikkib (log)

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

As for the Ritz, it's another one that everyone has to visit.  And, while I also wouldn't make this a regular cocktail stop, I suppose it's worth a stop.  I went there with Little Miss Foodie and Tall Drink of Water earlier this year when they were over for a visit and I think the three of us were all a tiny bit disappointed.  It's not that the drinks aren't excellent...it's just that you are paying for a lot more than the drinks themselves.  (we were paying over 30 Euros a drink...and that's not cheap when you are converting it to dollars)  if you're a serious cocktail drinker, I don't really suppose there's a way you can bypass this...but it's not my most recommended spot.

I have to agree with this, sorta.

I thought the drinks were 'fine', but the are nothing appreciably better than what can be had at Pegu Club or Violet Hour or VTR in the US for one third the price.

The atmosphere was nothing special either.

Cocktail geeks may want to make the pilgrimage to this very famous bar while in Paris, but frankly I am barely resisting the urge to quote Public Enemy here: "Don't believe the hype!".

-James

My new book is, "Destination: Cocktails", from Santa Monica Press! http://www.destinationcocktails.com

Please see http://www.tydirium.net for information on all of my books, including "Tiki Road Trip", and "Big Stone Head", plus my global travelogues, and more!

• 3 months later...
hello all...

In case anyone is interested, I've created a google map showing the location of the bars I've been visiting on my wednesday cocktail trials.  If you're looking for something by area, you might find this useful.

Forest, what a great idea. What with you and others have done with French maps, we need a special recogition.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 1 month later...

Even though Springtime is not consistently cooperating with me...I'm starting to have an eye towards summer and cocktails on terraces! Anyone have any favorite spots for cocktails in Paris that boast lovely little outdoor seeting spots? Just a bit of looking online brings up the possibilities of Hotel Rapheal (which i've been wanting to get to anyway), Barlotti (although i didn't realize they have a terrace?), and Baxo (think I've got the spelling right, but around Canal St Martin).

I am specifically looking for places that do cocktails...there's a whole other thread here on terraces in general in Paris, so don't want to mix them up!

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

Even though Springtime is not consistently cooperating with me...I'm starting to have an eye towards summer and cocktails on terraces!  Anyone have any favorite spots for cocktails in Paris that boast lovely little outdoor seeting spots?  Just a bit of looking online brings up the possibilities of Hotel Rapheal (which i've been wanting to get to anyway), Barlotti (although i didn't realize they have a terrace?), and Baxo (think I've got the spelling right, but around Canal St Martin).

I am specifically looking for places that do cocktails...there's a whole other thread here on terraces in general in Paris, so don't want to mix them up!

I can't vouch for the cocktails but I wouldn't go to the Baxto for the food. It reminded me of trendy American cuisine from the 90s with wasabi mashed potatoes and balsamic glaze. Might be nice to sit and have a cocktail in the summer though, although the "terrace" is only 4-5 tables over looking the street, however it is a quiet street and overlooks a little park.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

La Lucha Libre for Mexican wrestling and cocktails! (in truth, the cocktails kinda suck, but the ambience is fun!). The Curio was fun the other night too.

Edited by fresh_a (log)

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Yeah apparently at the Bar des Roses the food is good (ex chef from Fogon)

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

I can't vouch for the cocktails but I wouldn't go to the Baxto for the food.  It reminded me of trendy American cuisine from the 90s with wasabi mashed potatoes and balsamic glaze.  Might be nice to sit and have a cocktail in the summer though, although the "terrace" is only 4-5 tables over looking the street, however it is a quiet street and overlooks a little park.

agreed there...although I haven't tried the food or been, it doesn't strike me as a place you necessarily want to eat...but will check out some drinks on the 'terrace' and see how that goes!

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

La Lucha Libre for Mexican wrestling and cocktails! (in truth, the cocktails kinda suck, but the ambience is fun!). The Curio was fun the other night too.

thanks fresh_a....wrestling AND cocktails...well, sounds like an unbeatable combination. :rolleyes: will check it out for the ambience at least. And, yes, I'm always happy with the Curio cocktails, but as it gets nicer outside, it's harder to drag friends into the dark bars....i really like the decor there, but it feels more wintery. But, i do love to stop in their for the spiced mules...very tasty!

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

How about Le Bar des Roses for cocktails, seems like it is getting a lot of attention.

Yeah apparently at the Bar des Roses the food is good (ex chef from Fogon)

So I tried Le Bar Des Roses for drinks and food last night. Someone there knows or appreciates cocktails because the menu's good for Paris. I had a nice martini & they offer up quite a few drinks (including Aviations & Martinez - neither of which are too common on Paris cocktail menus, but pretty standard cocktails in the big scheme of things). The cocktails menu offers a potential upgrade for top shelf liquor (9 for the standards, 12 for something 'nicer') I just asked for a martini and they poured bombay sapphire.

The terrace will not be a go for a couple of weeks though. Apparently they are waiting for an okay to put some tables out front (which means you will either be dining facing rue de clichy or the cross street - neither of which are particularly quiet).

The food - tapas style was also good (try the beef as a main dish or tapas!). But, don't want to go OT here, so feel free to PM me for details on that front.

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

Update on Baxo, which I mentioned I was going to try in a search for cocktails on terraces - yikes! worst drink I've ever had in my life. No gin in the house, so i took the dirty vodka martini off their menu...not my fav, but figured it was the closest thing they offered to a martini. Pretty much undrinkable...warm, served in a glass with chips on the lip and tasted like I was drinking pure olive brine. yuck. I'll post a longer review on my wednesday drinks blog, but you don't really need to know more than I wouldn't go back for a cocktail. (for full disclosure, I did not try a 2nd there and my two companions went for wine...perhaps they have a better handle on the other drinks, but i wasn't willing to waste another 8 Euros to find out)

Edited by Forest (log)

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Any comments on Le Magnifique?

blog

Er, this is to correct the post below. My sister and I popped over to see if the Experimental Cocktail Club was open last Saturday at 7pm. We waited until 7:20pm and gave up. They didn't seem to have any interest in opening up and serving us so we carried on with our evening elsewhere. From our experience, I wouldn't suggest going too early (we were hoping to get a pre-dinner cocktail but alas, it wasn't meant to be!).

Hopefully this isn't too late.  It looks like it opens at 6pm.  See here:

http://thecocktailguru.wordpress.com/2009/...tal-experience/

Does anyone know what time Experimental Cocktail Club opens? Can't seem to find that info anywhere.  Thanks.

Er, this is to correct the post below.  My sister and I popped over to see if the Experimental Cocktail Club was open last Saturday at 7pm.  We waited until 7:20pm and gave up.  They didn't seem to have any interest in opening up and serving us so we carried on with our evening elsewhere.  From our experience, I wouldn't suggest going too early (we were hoping to get a pre-dinner cocktail but alas, it wasn't meant to be!).

Does anyone know what time Experimental Cocktail Club opens? Can't seem to find that info anywhere.  Thanks.

i think both experimental and curio seem to be a bit unpredictable with their hours....I've been to the experimental as early as 7 (actually thought it was 6pm...but perhaps it was 7) and it was open. As for curio, I think they used to open at 9pm, but i've also been there as early as 7 lately. So, seems like there is a lot of mixed reports on their hours. I'll call them later tonight to see if we can get an actual opening time.

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

Any comments on Le Magnifique?

hey fresh_a...no comments from me on this one as i haven't been yet. on the list...but got a bit sidetracked last month so I've fallen a bit behind. curious to hear what you think if you've been. otherwise, i'm going to try and get out there this month & will let you know what I think.

Edited by Forest (log)

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

Well I was at the Experimental last friday around midnight and had a great time. Carina was en plein forme.

blog

• 1 month later...
Er, this is to correct the post below.  My sister and I popped over to see if the Experimental Cocktail Club was open last Saturday at 7pm.  We waited until 7:20pm and gave up.  They didn't seem to have any interest in opening up and serving us so we carried on with our evening elsewhere.  From our experience, I wouldn't suggest going too early (we were hoping to get a pre-dinner cocktail but alas, it wasn't meant to be!).

i think both experimental and curio seem to be a bit unpredictable with their hours....I've been to the experimental as early as 7 (actually thought it was 6pm...but perhaps it was 7) and it was open. As for curio, I think they used to open at 9pm, but i've also been there as early as 7 lately. So, seems like there is a lot of mixed reports on their hours. I'll call them later tonight to see if we can get an actual opening time.

well, i'm pretty slow on a response to this, but I was at the Experimental a few weeks ago and checked again with them and 7 is their official opening time.

And, while I'm here, I want to give a little shout out to Christophe over at the Why bar (60, Rue Jean Jacques Rousseau, 75001 Paris) who previously worked the Forum but now has since opened his own spot. The place is pretty quiet, but he mixes up some nice drinks and some crazy deconstructed ones at a decent price for what you're getting (drinks around 10 - 12, during summer caips & mojitos at 6). I've blogged on him lately so I won't repeat that whole thing...but if you like either classic or interesting cocktails, I think it's worth a visit over here. He's a nice guy with a solid small collection behind the bar and very interested in cocktails. The place doesn't have a loungey feel, per se, but it's quiet & comfy and has a little sidewalk terrace that would be good if you get there early enough to grab a spot during the warm summer evenings.

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

How about Le Bar des Roses for cocktails, seems like it is getting a lot of attention.

So I tried Le Bar Des Roses for drinks and food last night. Someone there knows or appreciates cocktails because the menu's good for Paris.

Also, just as a bit of an update on Bar des Roses - There have been some changes to staff (chef & barman, I think) and the bar menu (as well as the food menu) have changed slightly. I've heard a lot of people complaining about a drop in the quality of the service and slight drop in quality of offerings...I haven't been for a bit & last time I was there I had wine, but (as I've already posted seperately about the food) I'm wondering if they are heading into a downward phase? Anyone been recently and have any comments on the drinks?

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

• 5 weeks later...

In view of 'la crise' we're on the hunt for cocktail bars with happy hours...anyone have any favorites that offer up good happy hour prices! As always...thanks for the input.

Updates from my end: I haven't stumbled across anything new and interesting lately, but I did make a visit to the Andy Wahloo not long ago and the drinks were not bad and the happy hour good (5 Euros cocktails from 5 to 8).

Also, if anyone is tempted to try cocktails at the lounge of the Sublim Eiffel (whose website makes it look rather interesting) stay away from the mixed drinks. Funny, funky little place, but not worth the trip for a cocktail.

Edited by Forest (log)

52 martinis blog

@52martinis