• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Alma [MSP]

MikeM

I am dining at Restaurant Alma tonight in celebration of my wife's birthday. Alma has been recommended to me by a couple of chefs in the Twin Cities. The StarTribune also awarded Alma 4 stars recently. I hope to post a review soon after!

Has anyone else dined at Restaurant Alma? If so what was your experience like?

Edited by MikeM (log)

Mike,

You will enjoy Alma very much. It's a food-lover's restaurant that shows painstaking attention to detail with the prepartion of the menu items. At the same time, though, the menu is very accessible to any type of diner. One feature of Alma is that they have light entrees in addition to "norma" entrees.

The wine list is also very good. Although prices have creeped up, there are still good options available in a variety of price ranges.

Restaurant Alma Web Site

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I haven't dined there, so am happy to read your thoughts on the place. I've met one of the owners at my job once, and he was a wonderful, kind hearted person ... food from the soul of a good person can't be bad!

-Betsy

Life is too big to be lived small. —Fortune Cookie

I'm not sure why my wife and I waited so long to try Alma. After all, we have heard its praises for quite some time. After our visit on Wednesday night, I don't think I can go another week without it.

Alma is absolutely heartwarming! Pure, simple, creative ... at Alma the focus is entirely on the food. Lacking pretense, gimmickry or glamour I am delighted by this Twin Cities' gem and I hope to become a regular who can repeatedly partake in Alma's main ingredient: Soul.

Marinated Hamachi Tartar - jalepeno, shallot, ponzu, crispy yam

Bright, fresh and focused. The buttery rich hamachi, the wonderfully acidic ponzu, the (not too) spicy jalepeno and the sweet crispy yam danced on my tongue. What a tremendous start to the evening.

Parsnip & Braised Duck Ravioli - foi gras sauce, thyme, vin catto

I thought I was taking a complete "180" on my selection. However, I was pleasantly suprised. Suttle, sweet, savory - the dish just worked. The flavors melted together. Nothing was out of place. The ravioli were light, fluffy pillows filled with comfort. I found myself slowing down in order to savor each morsel.

Braised Kobe Beef - port wine onions, caramelized cauliflower, black truffle oil

Velvety smooth. This comfort dish transported me to my home in front of a crackling fire. I'll be honest. It was nothing that I haven't seen on a menu before. But once said meat touched my taste buds, predictability all but left the building.

Chocolate Tasting - dark chocolate mousse, boca negra cake, chocolate truffle

I am a chocoholic. My expectations are high. This desert was the low point of the evening - but it was good. The mousse was rich and creamy. The truffle was a chocolate explosion. The boca negra cake dry. (There was another component but I just can't remember what it was).

Overall, the experience was tremendous. As I walked out Alma's door I couldn't help but think how many great meals I had missed. But I departed with a smile dreaming of more amazing meals to come. :biggrin:

• 1 year later...

We went to Restaurant Alma again last night with friends. Wow! Every time I dine at this place the food is consistently fantastic. Anyone else been there lately?