• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Cameleon

pierre45

Le Cameleon , was named by some as the best 2006 bistrot.so last night i took myself to the Montparnasse area and had dinner there.Its a small place,around 25 tables and the place on a tuesday night was 3/4 full.

The restaurant is a new venture by jean Arabian(his ex was a 2 star chef).He had been involved in the past with Ledoyen ,so he brought David Angelot from Ledoyen to be the chef at Le cameleon.

My appetizer was escargot without the shells in an emulsion of parsley, garlic and herbs.A succesful dish,very tasty and lively followed by porc chop with carrots redundant with coriander, a basque inspired dish,very flavorful and tender.

Both were oustanding.

Dessert was french toast which is very much in, nowadays.Better than one gets for breakfast in the US but nothing special.Wine by the glass at 4 euros each was quite decent.

So overall, i think this is one of the best 2006 bistrots.It reminded me a lot of la regalade of the old days of 2001-02.Total cost with wine was 50 euros.So its very good value.

If this continues it will probably be difficult in the future to reserve without notice.

I spoke with mr Arabian and congratuled him for his success.He seemed very proud and happy

So overall, i think this is one of the best 2006 bistrots.It reminded me a lot of la regalade of the old days of 2001-02.Total cost with wine was 50 euros.So its very good value.

If this continues it will probably be difficult in the future to reserve without notice.

I spoke with mr Arabian and congratuled him for his success.He seemed very proud and happy

Thank you Pierre for a great review. I will definitely put it on my list of places to try. I had been to Le Cameleon several years ago, but not since Jean Arabian took over.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

We were there in October and had pretty okay food, and lousy service.

He (I believe it was Jean Arabian) was very rude to us.

I have a review in a thread I think I titled something like, "October '06, a week of eating in bistros".

Philly Francophiles

Note that it's not Jean, but Jean-Paul Arabian. I too have heard terrible things about his attitude. But I haven't been to the place.

He has a rough guy attitude,but a decent fellow. Similar to Belmondo in the old days . He seems to have a good sense of humour.I,e i was listening to my ipod ,when he approached me to say" alors vous parler avec la maison blanche".

I can also see how the service could be poor. My waitress was great and worked very hard while others seemed lost.She helped me read the menu because i had left my glasses behind and said goodby when i left wishing me to visit again.