• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fort's Top 10

for the umpteenth time, Matthew Fort selects his top ten restaurants.

http://travel.guardian.co.uk/article/2007/...don.restaurants

And the 'Three Fishes'?? I'm a great fan of Howarth, and think Northcote is spiffing, but I've eaten four times at the Three Fishes and been distinctly underwhelmed each time.

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

For what it is I agree with Matthew's choice of the Three Fishes. I regularly go there, have found the food top notch, service extremely welcoming, easy to relax without worrying if the kids are annoying others and yes the beer is very good.

Then what would I know, I thought Locatelli's was the worst dining experience I had in the whole of 2006 :wacko:

A couple of less well known ones in there but it's still heavily London weighted which is a shame as the geographical spread was something I used to find quite refreshing about Matthew Fort's restaraunt reviews in the Guardian.

Tyddyn Llan looks very good and definitely a place to try next time I visit relatives in North Wales. It got a gold in the True taste of Wales awards this year so must be doing something right.

Glad to see Le Champignon Sauvage in there. Looking forward to trying that in a few weeks.

Interesting. I enjoyed Locatelli's when i went there but I did have a few gripes. Firstly i'm not a fan of places where you get charged for everything (i started looking down the bill and expected to see oxygen at the bottom). Secondly, someone was smoking two tables down, didn't affect my dinner but it was clearly affecting the table next to ours. I was able to get a table there at pretty short notice, however, which seems to be a thing of the past in London nowadays, plus, it was the best pasta i've ever had.

Tyddyn Llan looks very good and definitely a place to try next time I visit relatives in North Wales. It got a gold in the True taste of Wales awards this year so must be doing something right.

Tyddyn Llan definitely deserves to be better known. A visit there last year more than made up for a pretty shocking stay at the ex-Michelin rated Carlton House the night before. Not sure it really warrants a top ten placing, though.

restaurant, private catering, consultancy
feast for the senses / blog