• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone use or ever see one of these?

CRUZMISL

It sounds like a great tool but just wondering if it really works as advertised or if it's a gimmick. Any thoughts?

Just curious. Did you read the reviews of the product at the bottom of the Amazon.com listing?

I would personally be hard-pressed to put out $200 and make space for this device, but then I'm known already as a tightwad when looking at kitchen equipment. I will spend that kind of money (actually I already have) for a Cuisnart Food Processor or a KitchenAid mixer because of the utility I will get from them. This machine almost seems to qualify (as I put on my hard hat and flak jacket) as a unitasker. Just my point of view.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

How would this machine work any better than sealing the marinade and food item in a vacuum bag, which also has the effect of covering the enture surface of the food item with marinade? A vacuum sealer, of course, has a multitide of uses, unlike this contraption.

--

Well, it's not clear to me that a vacuum cannister has any particular advantages ("vacuum marinading" has been debunked a number of times). The advanage of using a vacuum bag is that, once all the air is removed from the bag, the marinade fills in all the spaces and completely surrounds the food item on all sides. This means that you can use a much smaller amount of marinade, and you don't have to worry so much about turning it around to get marinade on all sides.

For home models (e.g., the Tilia FoodSaver) it is best to freeze the marinade, vacuum bag the frozen marinade together with the food item, and then allow the marinade to thaw. This way you can evacuate most of the air from the bag without getting liquid in the machine.

--

How would this machine work any better than sealing the marinade and food item in a vacuum bag, which also has the effect of covering the enture surface of the food item with marinade?  A vacuum sealer, of course, has a multitide of uses, unlike this contraption.

It's all in the agitation :laugh: done using the wonders of electricity. Who wants to stand around for lengthy periods of time shaking their foodsaver vaccum bag with marinade and meat when a machine can shake it for you? Then again... if more people shook their foodsaver bags there'd be fewer fat as*es in the world :wink:

Well, it's not clear to me that a vacuum cannister has any particular advantages ("vacuum marinading" has been debunked a number of times).  The advanage of using a vacuum bag is that, once all the air is removed from the bag, the marinade fills in all the spaces and completely surrounds the food item on all sides.  This means that you can use a much smaller amount of marinade, and you don't have to worry so much about turning it around to get marinade on all sides.

For home models (e.g., the Tilia FoodSaver) it is best to freeze the marinade, vacuum bag the frozen marinade together with the food item, and then allow the marinade to thaw.  This way you can evacuate most of the air from the bag without getting liquid in the machine.

Could you link to where vacuum marinating has been debunked?

PS: I am a guy.