• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

jgarner53's Kitchen Remodel

jgarner53

At last, I have finished photos to post! Between GC's footdragging and grazing approach to finishing all the little details, and our getting a new kitten, it's taken me a while.

The sink wall:

sinkwallfinal.jpg

The stove wall:

stovewallfinal.jpg

The baking center:

bakingcenterfinal.jpg

The fridge wall:

fridgewallfinal.jpg

The pendants over the sink wall:

pendantsfinal.jpg

The center ceiling fixture:

ceilingfixturefinal.jpg

Storage for some of my cookbooks:

bookcasedetail.jpg

My vintage phone and pushbutton switches:

phoneandlightswitch.jpg

The sink cabinet & wall-mounted faucet:

sinkcabinet.jpg

Whew!

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Looks fantastic! You must be happy that it's finally done.

You don't even know! Now if I could just stop reaching in the wrong places for things! Years of repetition have me reaching for things where they used to be, rather than where they are now. :laugh:

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Your kitchen looks gorgeous. I have no doubt I will be using this thread as a reference, if ( hopefully, when) we undertake a kitchen remodel in a few years. You have provided some great ideas about how to update a kitchen but still have it remain in the mood of the rest of the home.

It would be interesting if some of the many people who are inspired by this thread post the outcomes of their kitchen designs/remodels here.

It really is striking how well you have captured the style of those 1920's kitchens.

Below are a pair of photos of the kitchen in our 1913 Seattle house. The first photo is the kitchen before we moved in, while the second is the much more lived-in version, with the addition of functioning appliances.

gallery_17822_1159_440837.jpg

Before we moved in.

gallery_17822_1159_613012.jpg

The lived in version (complete with laundry basket).

Hopefully, in a few years, I can show you photos of a glorious new (but still "old") kitchen. Thanks again for sharing all the nitty gritty details.

Robin Tyler McWaters

Tyler,

I love the character of your kitchen! Nothing anybody can build can ever quite match an original like that. I love your tile and the open shelves.

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

The kitchen is gorgeous! Such a friendly feel, guaranteed to inspire and nurture.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

You nailed the feel!

I especially like the tile (aligned to window sill height - rock on!) and the cupboard front at the sink, and the on-wall faucet.

Congratulations.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Jennifer, I think the ceiling mounted light fixture is absolutely perfect. In fact, so eye-grabbing to me it's the kind of thing that would inspire a remodel (if I didn't have enough remodelling projects in the works!).

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Adorable! And picks up the black accent tiles nicely.

Yes, we picked her just for that reason! :laugh:

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

• 5 months later...

Jennifer,

Somehow I missed your finished kitchen when you first posted. Clearly my loss, it's wonderfully and artfully executed and has given me some great inspiration for my new kitchen. I finished a very modern kitchen renovation just a year ago, sold the apartment this summer and am about to go into contract for my first real home.

The new place is a small 1925 A frame with a kitchen very similar in layout to yours. It'll be a total gut job and an opportunity to restore the place to it's original glory, right now it's a mess of 40's, 50's and 60's dreck. I'm considering Marmoleum and wonder how it's been working out for you so far and how difficult was it to design and execute the inlay. I'm torn between custom cabinets in a similar style to yours or just going with a simple big box store white slab type and using stainless and soapstone for the counters, so that it's a mix of contemporary and period appropriate materials. But seeing your kitchen makes me want to go with period fixtures and fittings. The appliances will be modern stainless, Dacor range and OTR convection microwave, Miele dishwasher and Liebherr refrigerator.

Honestly, yours is one of the most beautifully designed kitchens I've ever seen.

Aw, shucks! Thanks.

I love the Marmoleum floor. Even if you don't get an inlay, the floor itself is fantastic. The inlay definitely increased the price of the floor quite a bit (but worth every penny in my opinion. I love my floor!). It wasn't hard to design (just matched how far in the inlay was from the outer edge of the cabinets, same as the inlay strips in the hardwood in the living room and dining room - original). As for execution, the floor was professionally installed. Something like this has to be done professionally, because it's sheet flooring, and not the Marmoleum Click that's self-install. They do have pre-designed inlay patterns that would (I imagine) be somewhat less expensive for installation. I just didn't like any of them (too busy/thematic for what I wanted).

As for cleaning the Marmoleum, it's a total breeze. I just sweep it and occasionally mop with Method's floor cleaner. Mopping takes maybe 5 minutes total (another good thing about a small kitchen! :smile:

If you do go with Big Box cabinets, you can always take them more period with more traditional pulls (bin pulls, glass knobs, etc). It is definitely possible to pull off a period-mix look with stainless appliances. There are pictures all over the place of them.

Remember, even if I have period fixtures, I still have a kick-ass stove and hood, dishwasher and garbage disposal!

Good luck, and post pics!

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Aw, shucks! Thanks.

I love the Marmoleum floor. Even if you don't get an inlay, the floor itself is fantastic. The inlay definitely increased the price of the floor quite a bit (but worth every penny in my opinion. I love my floor!). It wasn't hard to design (just matched how far in the inlay was from the outer edge of the cabinets, same as the inlay strips in the hardwood in the living room and dining room - original). As for execution, the floor was professionally installed. Something like this has to be done professionally, because it's sheet flooring, and not the Marmoleum Click that's self-install. They do have pre-designed inlay patterns that would (I imagine) be somewhat less expensive for installation. I just didn't like any of them (too busy/thematic for what I wanted).

As for cleaning the Marmoleum, it's a total breeze. I just sweep it and occasionally mop with Method's floor cleaner. Mopping takes maybe 5 minutes total (another good thing about a small kitchen!  :smile:

If you do go with Big Box cabinets, you can always take them more period with more traditional pulls (bin pulls, glass knobs, etc). It is definitely possible to pull off a period-mix look with stainless appliances. There are pictures all over the place of them.

Remember, even if I have period fixtures, I still have a kick-ass stove and hood, dishwasher and garbage disposal! 

Good luck, and post pics!

Thanks so much! I have very similar hardwood floors in my diningroom and livingroom (oak with a dark stained inlay). I know what you mean about the pre-designed Marmoleum inlays, I find them too busy, as well. I'm also thinking about a white painted tin ceiling. The plaster in this old house is on its last legs. :sad: I'm still up in the air about whether to go total period or mix it up. I love your layout. What size cabinets did you use? It's amazing how similar these old houses are even with 3,000 miles between them. Your hood and range are totally kick-ass! It would be my pleasure to post pics of my progress, once I start my planning. First thing I need to find a kitchen planning software that actually works. I'm finding little for Mac and many others for windows don't yet work smoothly in Vista. I prefer to visit a KD with at least a rough draft to get some price quotes. Thanks

Edited by azlee (log)