• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

jgarner53's Kitchen Remodel

jgarner53

I think the light works very well with the paint and the counters. As Abra says, it's easy to focus on the light as it sits on the counter and sort of stands out. But I think you'll see once the backsplash is in and the light up that it works really well.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Gorgeous! I love soapstone. I also think that the dark green stripe on the light looks good when you compare it to the light green on the wall. You don't necessarily want all the green to be the same level of darkness. Or value, or whatever it's called. Plus, I think it looks more authentically old-timey with the dark stripe. It reminds me of the painted lettering (and its darker outlines) that stores used to have on their front windows.

I will continue to taunt you with no pictures, but fill you in on the work going on. GC has promised a Friday inspection and wrap up. I'm sure there will be niggling details here and there after that, but as long as I can start moving things in, I'm happy.

On Monday Dave the Electrician came over and installed all the plugs (woo hoo! Plugs!), lights (woo hoo! lights! I'm especially glad to have the one in the back stairs installed. Going down those stairs (to the garage) in the dark always made me a little nervous, and switches. Wow, so much light! The undercab lights are great, even if the light they throw seems a little, er, green. :huh: They add just the right amount of light to make working, say, at the baking center, perfect. Dave installed the Title 24-ready fluorescents in the ceiling. These will come down as soon as the inspection is done and signed off. I already hate them. They're cheap, ugly, and the globes above the sink are giving me flashbacks of the 70's. But overall, it's great to have light over the sink counter that I'm not casting shadows into. It's also really great, I found this morning, to be able to just turn on the undercab lights, first thing in the morning (which for me is about 3:45) and not have to have a ton of light on.

Tuesday, oh, Tuesday! Tuesday I got my faucet, disposal, and dishwasher. Forget the fancy counters. I'm in love with my garbage disposal! :wub::laugh: The thing is so quiet that you hardly hear it at all, even when it's grinding up food. The old one (and InSinkErator Badger) sounded like it was grinding up badgers (hence the name? :unsure::raz::laugh: ). Husband asked, "How do we know when it's done?" I kept putting things down it while I was making salad (instead of composting) just to be able to use it! The airswitch in the counter is spiffy, too. Once I've oiled the counters, you'll hardly even see it (I opted for black). So after one day, I can heartily recommend the new InSinkErators

And to have a dishwasher again! To celebrate, we pulled out the china plates (everyday, not the good stuff) and ate dinner with real silverware. It truly felt hedonistic to put the dirty dishes into the dishwasher! See what 3 months of paper plates does to a person?

Turns out the stove is supposed to be the way it is. As long as the knobs don't get hotter than 170F, it's within specs. So I guess I need to get used to it. I plan on cooking a Trader Joe's pizza tonight - I do, at least, know where my pizza stone is. See how it does on that.

The cabinet doors went back to the painter's shop yesterday to get the right sheen on them. I don't know how they came out eggshell and the boxes something else, but this isn't exactly the first time nobody paid attention to what I told them. As long as they match and are easy to clean, I don't really care at this point. I just want my kitchen done!

I'd hoped to be able to make desserts for Easter at my brother's (17 adults, 20 kids), but I think I'll just do them at work instead. I'd have to find my pots and pans, dig out the mixer, etc, not to mention find the time to do it all. :wacko:

But next week I should be cooking!

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Word of advice: If you are heating your new pro stove up to 475F to bake a pizza, and your GC has left 3 smoke detectors on the counter waiting for install, remove the batteries BEFORE you turn on the oven. :biggrin:

I'm surprised the fire department didn't roll up.

And this is in a clean oven, just from the heat generated by the preheating oven! :wacko:

Pizza sure was good, though. I love their cornmeal crust pizzas. :wub:

Safety point: Dave the electrician recommends replacing your smoke detectors every 5 years.

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I agree with your conclusions about the InSinkErator disposals. Mine has chewed up dried beans (not that they went in on purpose, but when a bag comes apart over the sink, it is nice to know one doesn't have to dig them out with a bare hand!) as well as melon rinds.

I also have their Instant hot water dispenser.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Ok, you all remember way back at the inspection stage, when GC found out that San Francisco requires separate inspections for the plumbing, electrical, and framing, and all the hoops to jump through to get the initial inspections done? (Electrician had to call for the inspection, could only call between X and Y hours, etc)

Well, guess what's true at the other end of the project? Yup. :blink: The building inspector signed off on the construction, but GC has to get the plumbing inspector back out to check that, yup, we installed shut-off valves under the sink, and the electrical inspector out to make sure that we met the Title 24 high-efficacy lighting requirements and that the outlets are all wired correctly. (big sigh)

I was so hoping to have a finished kitchen to show you this weekend, too! Also, the very last of the frozen food is gone. I have to start cooking next week!

So instead I decided to give you teaser photos - little bits and pieces of what's completed.

First, come in and turn on the lights:

lightswitch.jpg

Open a cabinet. Grab a glass:

knob_2.jpg

Get yourself some water:

faucet.jpg

While you're at the sink, see if you can spot the airswitch for the dishwasher:

airswitch.jpg

Try out the stove! It's really powerful!

knob.jpg

Did you notice the tile?

tiletease.jpg

I hope to start moving into the kitchen by Wednesday, which sucks, since Monday and Tuesday are my days off, and I already have to be home most of Monday waiting on the fridge repair guy. :sad: Oh well. What's a few more days?

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I'm steaming. Steaming! :angry: When GC reinstalled the cabinet doors on Friday after having them repainted, they still didn't match. At the time, I was thinking, "OK, I just want this to be done, I'll live with it. I don't know why they're not matching, but I'm just going to live with it."

That was until this morning. The little shim that's been holding the new access door under the house closed had stopped working, so I was looking for some way to hold the door closed so the cold air wouldn't come into the house. Ahh, paint cans in the garage! So I grab one paint can. It's marked "Kitchen ceiling and cabinets." Looking at the label it's eggshell finish. :huh::blink::angry:

From Day 1, I have said that the cabinets are supposed to be satin. They are the same color as the ceiling, but not the same sheen!

And even knowing that's written on the can, GC had the nerve, the living, ever-bloody nerve to look me in the eye and say he didn't know why the finishes weren't matching either!

I am as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore. Gone is the nice me that asks as neutrally as I can for something to be fixed. I'm pissed. I want to move into my kitchen, goddamit, and I'm tired of GC's f**kups and excuses and 3-hour days.

Assuming he shows up today, of course, I have a list of things that will be completed today. Period. And the cabinet doors, shelves and appliance panels will go back to the shop with the correct paint today to be repainted. AGAIN. And the kitchen is to be 100% done by Thursday. Period. And all the other little niggling things that have been eating away at me (little piles of dirt that don't get swept up or vacuumed) are going to be done by Friday.

I want them gone and out of my house and so help me I never, ever, ever want to do another remodel.

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I want them gone and out of my house and so help me I never, ever, ever want to do another remodel.

I feel your pain. Our countertop contractor screwed up our counter royally (and I mean ROYALLY) and I made him take it out and fix it. He was all pissed off even though the flaws were more than obvious, so he took them out and then WENT ON VACATION. Took 9 weeks to get a friggin' Corian counter installed that was supposed to take 3 days. And it is still not perfect, but after the last iteration I told him to hit the bricks before I shot him.

As DH says, the first three letters of the word "contractor" say it all...

That's why it's always nice to have some leverage.

And a big stick! (AKA a contract with teeth)

I have to admit that I did have one big advantage when my house was remodeled. I had a "baby-sitter" that would pull his big truck into the driveway, right behind the contractor, and keep an eye on things while I was at work.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Wow! Awesome rant! If I had a nickel for every time I heard that rant ... I'd have close to a quarter .... :raz:

First of all Jennifer, in my professional opinion, yours is without a doubt one of the top 5 kitchens I have seen ... EVER. The attention to detail, the material selection, and OMG those switches! Truly amazing. In all seriousness, I would have it professionaly photographed and submitt it for publication. You should be very proud.

Now ... take a breath ... and remember it's only paint. It could have been the soapstone, or the floor (I have the same Marmoleum in my kitchen BTW). I hear your frustration, and you have every right to be upset. But it's paint. Hopefully you still owe the GC some $$$. Stuff doesn't get fixed, GC doesn't get paid.

Deep breath. You're almost there.

And seriously ... get it published.

A.

First of all Jennifer, in my professional opinion, yours is without a doubt one of the top 5 kitchens I have seen ... EVER.

Awww, shucks. After all, as GC said to Husband (aiki_brewer), "She's pretty sharp for a woman." (Husband was kind enough not to kill GC at that point, since I don't think we even had walls yet, and refrained from telling me this until just this week so I wouldn't kill him)

Thank you very much, Arne. I feel quite honored. And if a very, very similar kitchen (down to the tile, green walls and inset cabs) hadn't been on the cover of Old House Interiors back in May 2005 (though I'd made my selections and only saw it when I went to the tile store where the owner had bought her tile, and they had copies of it everywhere), I might even consider it.

I really can't wait to show you all the final reveal. It's proving such a pleasure to work in so far. I can only imagine that when my things are in here it will be even better. And gawd, I can't wait to take down these ugly fluorescent fixtures! (waiting until the plumbing inspector has signed off - don't want to trigger any attention).

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I'm waiting (not very patiently) for the final sign off from the city. The electrical inspector has signed off, but the plumbing inspector is requiring a whole-house gas test. :wacko: I don't want a change in light fixtures to trigger any red flags.

Plus, I'm waiting for the workers to be done tramping through before I put out my fragile accessories (vintage jadeite and cake stands).

Next week, fingers crossed! :biggrin:

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I'm holding my breath...

If you pass out or die, you can blame my GC and the city of SF. At what we thought would be the final plumbing inspection, the trap had to be reversed, and the house gas line test needed a fluid-filled gauge, rather than an air-filled one, so we need, yes, a third "final" plumbing inspection. Of course, GC has sworn that this is yet another "only in SF" thing.

This also means that: I do not have the two missing shelves for one cabinet (which prevents me from completely unpacking the kitchen). They've been at the painter's shop for two months now, and GC has known to be looking for them for two weeks. The answer? His shop is really big, and they were behind other stuff. Uh, OK, but why, for the love of Pete, is every job not inventoried by piece when it comes in, so that when it goes out again, all the pieces go with it???? Five cabinets? Check. Doors? Check. Shelves?........Bueller? :raz:

I also cannot install the real lights because the plumbing's not signed off (don't want to provoke the city at all, esp. at this point).

And the dishwasher panel, which had to be redone, and GC swore up and down on a stack of punch lists that it would be installed on Tues just went to the painter's shop on Tues, along with a small bookshelf that got mangled when it was trimmed down to fit and had to be redone.

When will GC return? It's anybody's guess, but I have a dinner party Sat. night, and I'm putting in the real lights, even if I have to take them back out again for an inspection on Mon. or Tues.

Meanwhile, I'm really enjoying the kitchen! Everything was so out in the open in the old kitchen: pantry ingredients, utensils, mixing bowls, etc. It's very weird getting used to having things put away, though I do have a big crock of utensils next to the stove (whisks, wooden spoons, rubber spats, that sort of thing)

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Hi Jennifer:

I've just discovered this thread on your kitchen reno. I'm really fascinated with all the work and detail you have done, partly because I too am embarking on a kitchen reno of a 1920s home. My house is a two-story Arts & Crafts style, built around 1928 (I think), and was last renovated back in the 70s. We are ripping the kitchen out, and like you, we are trying to stay true to the character of the house.

Your kitchen design elements are almost IDENTICAL to everything we will be doing - shaker cabinets, subway tiles, etc. I have several questions for you:

1) I am still waffling about what material to use for the backsplash. There is always the debate about maintaining the true character of the 1920s home vs. modernizing it somewhat. I was originally planning on using straight, white subway tiles, but I have seen some new translucent glass ones on the market that are jadeite-green in colour. But now, after seeing the small little squares of green glass intermixed with yours, I was wondering if you could post a bigger picture of it?

2) Since you are a pastry chef, I figure you can expertly answer this question about soapstone counters. I would like to mix different materials, marble, soapstone, etc. Do you prefer soapstone for your pastry area instead of marble? Is it smooth enough or is marble smoother?

Also, I have been advised by everyone and their dog not to use marble & soapstone because it is too porous, but I absolutely LOVE those materials. Are you concerned about staining and the porosity of your counters?

3) Where did you get your hoodfan? Is that a cover that you designed yourself?

Your kitchen looks great. It's really coming together.

Your kitchen design elements are almost IDENTICAL to everything we will be doing - shaker cabinets, subway tiles, etc.  I have several questions for you:

1) I am still waffling about what material to use for the backsplash.  There is always the debate about maintaining the true character of the 1920s home vs. modernizing it somewhat.  I was originally planning on using straight, white subway tiles, but I have seen some new translucent glass ones on the market that are jadeite-green in colour.  But now, after seeing the small little squares of green glass intermixed with yours, I was wondering if you could post a bigger picture of it?

2) Since you are a pastry chef, I figure you can expertly answer this question about soapstone counters.  I would like to mix different materials, marble, soapstone, etc.  Do you prefer soapstone for your pastry area instead of marble?  Is it smooth enough or is marble smoother? 

Also, I have been advised by everyone and their dog not to use marble & soapstone because it is too porous, but I absolutely LOVE those materials.  Are you concerned about staining and the porosity of your counters?

3) Where did you get your hoodfan?  Is that a cover that you designed yourself?

Your kitchen looks great.  It's really coming together.

Thanks! It's pretty much together, except for installing the pendant lights over the sink wall (where the windows are). They have a ceramic cover plate that needs to be flush against the ceiling, and we're having some trouble making that happen. That, and a few missing shelves (that GC had better deliver tomorrow if he wants to keep his head intact :angry: ) are about all that's left.

To answer your questions, the green dots in the tile backsplash aren't glass at all, but ceramic tile. I initially wanted glass, as I loved the look of glass tile and wanted to incorporate it somehow, but the smallest tiles I could find were 1x1" or else 1x6" liner strips, and I knew I wanted the liner to be no more than 1/2". I hunted and hunted for the right green; most modern tile manufacturers go towards a sagey green. There's a tile company down in Southern California (B&W Tile, in Riverside and Gardena) that has exactly the right shade, and I snagged the tiles on a visit to my family last summer.

I think a glass subway tile backsplash would be lovely - a beautiful update to the traditional subway tile look.

Here's a photo from my recent foodblog that shows the backsplash pretty well.

crustingredients.jpg

As to the soapstone thing, whoever told you that soapstone is porous, or etches, doesn't know anything about the stuff. My soapstone doesn't etch, isn't porous, doesn't stain, is impervious to heat, and is as smooth as a baby's butt. Believe me, I am not a neat cook, and would be terrified to have marble countertops, but I don't even worry about the soapstone. I have never had marble to work on, so I can't speak for it, but from my brief experience with the soapstone (rolling out pie dough and pizza crust), it's just great! I don't understand its thermal properties or the physics behind it, but it doesn't seem to be as cold as marble or granite seem to be. I'd think that mixing soapstone and marble would be gorgeous in your kitchen!

My hood is from Vent-a-Hood, their Excalibur model, painted in one of their stock colors. Painted, it was actually less expensive than the stainless version. The black bands are standard for the Excalibur hood. I chose it because 1) I like Vent-a-Hood and 2) the design worked well with my period style kitchen, and I thought it reminiscent of the old huge plaster hoods that were built into many older homes of the time.

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Very helpful information. Thanks. I'm thinking now I will use soapstone for my baking centre and marble for the other counter surfaces.

I really love what you have done with the backsplash. The green ceramic tiles make a very nice punctuation in the overall look and feel of your kitchen.

Did the company who made your cabinets also build the panels for your fridge and dishwasher?

My hood is from Vent-a-Hood, their Excalibur model, painted in one of their stock colors.

Did you get the cabinet company to match the paint from the vent?