• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants near Inn at Penn - Arch Street

cheereeo70

Help! Can anyone recommend a place for a business man's dinner near the Inn at Penn on Valentines Day. My nephew, a UPENN student, recommended some places but they all are offering prix fix menus for Valentines Day - - The White Dog, Penne, Pod (They have a regular menu, but not sure if this is too 2001: A Space Oddysey for business men), and Zoccalo (sp?)

Know anything about Susanna Foo's?

What constitutes a "business mans dinner " ?

Is it a business dinner or romantic valentines dinner.

More clarity.......

Definitely looking for business dinner; definitely not romantic. They are both sadly leaving their wives of over 25 years each at home as they have to be in Philly for business meeting on the morning of 2/15. We are kidding around at the office that they will have a romantic V-Day dinner for two in Philly, but I think they are looking for a dark wood, good wine, good food kind of place, but my boss wants to avoid the prix fix V-day menus. I did just make a reservation at the Panorama just in case--figuring I could cancel if need-be.

I'm assuming that the people involved are willing to take a taxi ride, since you're looking at Susanna Foo's (17 & Walnut) from the Inn at Penn (roughly 35th & Market). You might want to consider any of the steakhouses (Palm, Davio's [my favorite]) or fishouses (McCormack & Schmidt; Sansom St Oysterhouse) or more eclectic choices (eg, !Pasion or Roy's, both on 15th St). Even if they have a prix fixe, I am certain they will let you order off the menu.

Do you have a particular cuisine/food type in mind? Any allergies or severe dislikes to worry about?

Regards,

Jason

Edited by JasonZ (log)

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

(eg, !Pasion or Roy's, both on 15th St). Even if they have a prix fixe, I am certain they will let you order off the menu.

I'd stay clear of Roy's personally. It's a chain, albeit a high end one that I just don't see what all the fuss is about. We entertained some clients there a while back and it was just mediocre but the bill was ridiculous, $600 for 4 people. Granted we had some wine and a few cocktails and a little port, but really, $600?

Our waiter was really pushing the premium wines all night which was off putting and the food just wasn't all that remarkable, my yellowfin tuna was dry and lacking in flavor and my wife's salmon was off as well. The desserts however were great.

At the risk of pushing something I am affiliated with, check out BOOTSIE’S 38s. 19th St. the menu features seafood, steaks and other creations, as well as, a wine & beer bar. There is a valentine week prix pixe menu available @ $80 per couple. but you can still order off the regular menu. Check out www.bootsiesphilly.com for menus and such.

Twenty21

I haven't been here in a while but it's certainly "business person friendly". Not far from Penn (Market between 20th & 21st, hence the name) in the Commerce Square twin towers). And if you want to talk about "top shelf" booze, I can't think of another bar in town with a higher top shelf. Formerly Cutter's when it was owned by a small Seattle-based fine dining group, but locally owned, iirc.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

These all sound so amazing but all are very adamant about the Prix Fix. I was able to book him at the Panorama (found on another thread here) because they had a neat wine list and they can sit in the bar. However, now I am worried it is really far away. One girl I spoke with there said it was probably a 10-minute cab ride from the Inn at Penn, but when I Mapquest it, it seems like a very far distance, so I called again and the Italian guy did not know where the Inn at Penn was.

Twenty-21 and Bootsies both looked so good as did Davio's and Sansom Oyster, but again, Prix Fix. And since I am not sure if the guys from AZ will like seafood? My boss I think was getting frustrated when I kept showing him menus, and he was just like, "The Panorama sounds fine--go with it."

So, you think they are safe at Panorama? Have to send him back down to Philly for another trip to dine at some of these other great reco's.

It's REALLY easy, almost a straight shot down to Panorama, don't worry about the distance. Philly's not that big of a city... If it's rush-hour, or near it, I'd count on more like 20 minutes, but that's just traffic. Panorama is just a few steps north of Market Street, one of the major streets in the city. The Inn at Penn is on Walnut St, another major (parallel) street. Any cabbie can get them to Front and Market, and back to 36th and Walnut, these are not obscure locations, nor are they especially far from one another.

If they're at all into wine, sitting at the bar at Panorama will be serious fun. If they're not into wine, they might be by the end of dinner...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Hello cheereeo70,

I am new to the forum, but have been a 'lurker' on many topics. I am the Executive Chef at Twenty21, and would be pleased to have your group join us for the 14th. We can provide a set menu for the evening; one that is appropriate for two business companions dining together. If they are looking for ala carte, I can create options from what we are preparing for the evening with some additions. I offer a 28 day dry aged Wolffe's Neck Farm Cote De Boeuf, and am getting some fantastic truffles in from France, as well. Our wine list is extensive, and have been awarded the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence for six years running. Please call me directly at the restaurant, and I will make sure they are accommodated. I hope to hear from you soon, and wish your group well on their trip to Philadelphia.

Townsend Wentz

Executive Chef

Twenty21

. . . I offer a 28 day dry aged Wolffe's Neck Farm Cote De Boeuf, and am getting some fantastic truffles in from France, as well . . .

Townsend Wentz

Executive Chef

Twenty21

Welcome to eGullet, Townsend. Matthewj just posted a couple days ago about those truffles he sold you here. How are you using them?

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Hello cheereeo70,

I am new to the forum, but have been a 'lurker' on many topics.  I am the Executive Chef at Twenty21, and would be pleased to have your group join us for the 14th.  We can provide a set menu for the evening; one that is appropriate for two business companions dining together.  If they are looking for ala carte, I can create options from what we are preparing for the evening with some additions.  I offer a 28 day dry aged Wolffe's Neck Farm Cote De Boeuf, and am getting some fantastic truffles in from France, as well.  Our wine list is extensive, and have been awarded the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence for six years running.  Please call me directly at the restaurant, and I will make sure they are accommodated.  I hope to hear from you soon, and wish your group well on their trip to Philadelphia.

Townsend Wentz

Executive Chef

Twenty21

Chef Wentz! That is so nice of you. I'll talk to my boss and perhaps give you a call. I want to come down myself--never mind him and those serious business-talkers!! My mouth is watering.

I had dinner at Twenty21 a while back (it's just not a neighborhood I usually think of having dinner in, and it felt a little more formal than I usually do, so I haven't been back, but the food was good) and it's certainly an appropriate spot for a business type event.

It would probably be more comfortable than being shunted to the bar at Panorama, unless they're really turned on by the prospect of wine flights there. Twenty21 has a good wine list, so they'll be fine if they don't need a gazillion selections by the glass.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Another possibility might be M Restaurant at the Morris Hotel. It's a lovely setting and certainly enough off the beaten track that it won't be a nightmare on V-Day. It's no further away than any of the other suggestions you've gotten, and I think the menu would suit your requirements and the room would be quiet enough to actually carry on a meeting.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I should have stated that a phone call to check on what their Valentine's menu is about is clearly in order.

However, I do think that since it's slightly off the beaten path and not on Restaurant Row on Walnut or one of the Starr restos it would likely be less of a madhouse even if they are expecting couples that evening. And certainly a not too full room, even if everyone else is playing footsie under the table, could be conducive to doing business.

Didn't cheereeo70 say that the folks attending the meeting are a deuce as well? Everyone else might think they're a couple and not bother them... :raz:

Of course there's something wrong with the universe if they aren't totally booked up for V-day. But it is a Wednesday night and a lot of folks just don't go out on a school night. :shrug:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

. . . I offer a 28 day dry aged Wolffe's Neck Farm Cote De Boeuf, and am getting some fantastic truffles in from France, as well . . .

Townsend Wentz

Executive Chef

Twenty21

Welcome to eGullet, Townsend. Matthewj just posted a couple days ago about those truffles he sold you here. How are you using them?

Thanks. I am using them with roasted sea scallops, celeriac puree, maitake mushrooms, and a vegetable truffle nage (small dice carrots, celery, and onions, light butter emulsion with chicken broth, and chiffonade truffle). The mushrooms are also roasted which brings out a tremendous flavor. I put them with the Cote De Boeuf regularly, which I carry on my specials list as a permanent fixture, with rotating accoutrements. Lately I've been doing a mixture of winter fruits and vegetables; baby turnips, wild mushrooms, dates, red pearl onions, grapes (not really winter, but hey, neither were the cherries I found and added the other day), baby rutabega I came across and a local store, and anything else that would complement a fricassee or cooking 'en cocotte'. I just shave the truffle over the sliced beef and chiffonade any less than presentable slices into the sauce. It's currently restaurant week, so we have suspended the five course $85 truffle menu we were doing. It should come back the middle of next week.... Townsend

Katie, I think M is an excellent idea, but it's such a small, charming spot that if it's not booked-up for Valentine's day, there's something seriously wrong with the universe.

Of course that could be the case...

Katie, Phil, thanks for the suggestion. V-Day made easy, courtesy of eGullet.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

Katie, I think M is an excellent idea, but it's such a small, charming spot that if it's not booked-up for Valentine's day, there's something seriously wrong with the universe.

Of course that could be the case...

Katie, Phil, thanks for the suggestion. V-Day made easy, courtesy of eGullet.

Tim:

I'm such a fool as I stopped by M earlier today to speak with chef David on a separate matter and completely forgot to ask what their V-Day plan was. I'll find out for you and let you know what they've told me.

I think the menu there and the lovely space could make for a very nice meeting place. The Inn itself is also very quaint. I'd never seen the inside of the B&B in which M is housed. And even though it's cold outside, the courtyard is an oasis of serenity in the middle of the city.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Katie, Phil, thanks for the suggestion.  V-Day made easy, courtesy of eGullet.

I'll chime in on the suggestion of M for Valentine's Day (not a business dinner, though) -- I ate there a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed everything. The cooking is reminiscent of the late lamented Studiokitchen and I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Menu: www.mrestaurant.com

Bar menu also looks interesting, I've been meaning to stop by one day.

Tim:

I'm such a fool as I stopped by M earlier today to speak with chef David on a separate matter and completely forgot to ask what their V-Day plan was.  I'll find out for you and let you know what they've told me.

I think the menu there and the lovely space could make for a very nice meeting place.  The Inn itself is also very quaint.  I'd never seen the inside of the B&B in which M is housed.  And even though it's cold outside, the courtyard is an oasis of serenity in the middle of the city.

When I called to make my reservation they said they will be serving a 5 course prix fix menu for $75 per person, $115 with wine. I'll be sure to report back.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson