• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Himalania Pink Salt

Bill Miller

I've known about this salt for awhile and just broke down and picked some up at Williams Sonoma. (It's about $4/lb.) It is delicious!! I've had it on melon, tomatoes, asparagus. It has a distinct flavor--a combination of minerals I can't identify. Salt is NOT just salt--this stuff is wonderful.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

And harvested by Himalanians.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

This is not a response to Dick's comment - I'll be eager to see their response. However, here is the label info:

<SNIP the blah, blah, blah>

"Himalania Pink salt gets its pink speckled color from the natural richness derived from iron and other minerals.

Himalania pink salt has maintained its natural purity because it is unrefined and uses no additives and no pollutants."

<More SNIP>

I emailed the distributers and asked if they had an analysis for heavy metals and other contaminants. No answer has been forthcoming. Unless you have an analysis, all of these types of salts are suspect. -Dick

I'm anxious for your results too. Thanks

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

This is not a response to Dick's comment - I'll be eager to see their response.  However, here is the label info:

"Himalania Pink salt gets its pink speckled color from the natural richness derived from iron and other minerals.

Himalania pink salt has maintained its natural purity because it is unrefined and uses no additives and no pollutants."

<More SNIP>

From the site:

"natural richness:

I t is naturally rich in elements and minerals (Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Copper, and Iron) that have strong nutritional and health properties; it is this natural richness which confers the incomparable speckled pink color."

Is this the stuff that smells just a little (and sometimes more than a little) like rotten eggs? Or am I thinking of a different salt?

That's usually called 'black salt,' even though it's pink. I like it in my fruit salad.

Thanks!

I went home and checked my salts and found the stinky Indian "black salt," which as you said is really pink. I'll have to try it on fruit salad or something else that is uncooked. Most of my culinary use of this salt has involved cooked preparations.

However, most of my uses for this salt are non-culinary. I mostly use it as a novelty... I will say something like "hey, do you smell that?" Then I will reach into the pantry, or perhaps my pants, and pull out the "black" salt. It's pretty hilarious, really.

Edited by fiftydollars (log)

This is not a response to Dick's comment - I'll be eager to see their response.  However, here is the label info:

<More SNIP>

Don't wait!

I asked the question over a year ago. They don't have an analysis and the rest is all hype. By the time that stuff gets packed off the mountains on yaks, dragged through the marketplaces, who knows what organic contaminants have also been introduced. -Dick