• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Isle of Arran blond ale

Malkavian

Found this little brew at the Total Wine in charlotte. The manager told me they'd gotten a small supply in, and the distributer/importer had promptly gone outta business. Being a scottish beer, I figured I'd take a chance Smile

Was not disappointed.

Pours pale blond, hint of cloudiness from the lees being stirred up (Oops, my bad) Very balanced taste, hint of hops but mostly sweet malt and fruity esters. Medium bodied, VERY easy drinking.

Now, the kicker? The stuff 'expired' december 05, so I got my nice Scottish beer pre-aged. I'd love to find a fresher sample to see how the extra time makes a difference. I also plan on culturing the yeast from the lees, just to see what I can do with it

Do you still have the bottle?  Would it be possible to take a picture of it and post it here?  I would like to see the bottle. I have never heard of it.

I'd never seen it before either; I'll try to get a photo of it up in the next day or two.

• 1 month later...

Hopefully this is it (first time pic poster)

gallery_52392_4302_45115.jpg

Edited by Henry dV (log)

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

They've got a brewery on Arran now? Too cool! I must go back.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Was the beer anything like Duvel?  That classic Belgian is alleged to be brewed with a yeast that came from Scotland... Might history be repeating itself here?

No such luck.

Here are my tasting notes from a few months ago when I tried this beer:

Appearance: Pours a hazy pale golden color with a modest head that descends to a ringlet and leaves some vague remnants of lacing

Smell: Butterscotch diacetyl (Ringwood yeast, perhaps?) on top of a wheat bread base

Taste: Doughy wheat up front, with hints of diacetyl before the swallow; moderate bitterness of the earthy, grainy variety appears mid-palate; the finish is sweet and buttery

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, slighty slick; low carbonation

Drinkability: Not bad, if you don't mind the diacetyl